FutureWeapons RC Armed Robot : possible addon?

First off, I am a long time lurker and poster from the CMBO days. Glad to finally find my login info so I could post my thoughts to this informative forum. So hello again!

I was watching Futureweapons on TV the other day involving the armed version of a bomb-defusing robot, and wondering if such a robot might actually be in use by frontline US forces in the timeline given for the Syria scenario, and the possibility of it being included in one of the addons for Shock Force.

I understand that it could be considered too esoteric a weapon system to have a large impact on a battlefield in 2009, or how useful it could be in a highly fluid battle of maneuver. But I am intrigued by the idea of the US having a recon MG platform with no morale issues and no casualties if destroyed. I can imagine how useful that could be with the new asymmetrical objectives for CMSF.

Obviously this would be out for the initial release, but has Battlefront considered the possibility of adding one of these in? I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but I'm still curious.

(hey, at least I'm not bringing up the T-80 again :D )

Link:

http://compsci.ca/tech/weapons/swords-talon-armed-robotic-vehicle/

silverstars,

Welcome back! From CMBO to now = long hiatus!

I have asked the SWORDS question myself, but don't recall that I ever got an answer from BFC. I believe the topic kind of dropped off the forum eventually, quite possibly about the time the Lone Syrian appeared.

Sergei,

Hadn't seen that one before, which appears to be for some sort of lumbering.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ April 08, 2007, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

I figure it is probably a long shot for the TALON/SWORDS robot to actually be put in the game, but I am highly interested in getting one. I find one of the big draws of a modern/near future game is figuring out new tactics for all the new toys. Hell, isn't that one of the reasons they chose to focus on Stryker brigades? To see how effective the platform can be in a conventional and/or asymmetrical fight?

I guess I just have fun thinking up all the crafty things I could do with just an unarmed IED robot in an assault. You could do pre-assault recon for knowing exactly where your enemy is, getting as close as you want since the thing is so tiny and quiet. If it is discovered and destroyed, it's not a big loss since no one is dead. Granted it has a financial cost, but it's politically cheap.

And can you imagine the fun you could have with one equipped with an MG? Have one or two of these babies skirt around the flank of the enemy in some brush or trees and start firing them off. They are so small and quiet they are hard to detect, so in concealment the enemy can't tell what or who is shooting at them. And while they are busy figuring out how to take them out(supressive fire now means nothing, they have to physically destroy them), your real men are enveloping in from the other side. I can just see these things driving the Syrian player NUTS. Give these things some forward observer capabilities and these bad boys are lethal. I'm sure this won't balance the game out very well, but damned if it doesn't sound entertaining.

Does anyone know if they are going to include those remote control planes with camera's on them. I saw a program on them on TV some time back and got the impression that they were either available now at company level or soon would be. Seems to me that they would give a huge advantage to the US forces.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Bah! Tracks are so passe! Future killer robots will walk on legs.

6x6_02.jpg

That is a pretty rediculous faller buncher there.

With all the fuss of low impact logging, and the fact skid trails have a huge environmental impact, I am not sure I understand the logic of a walking faller buncher.

I mean, unless they are heli-logging the skidder still has to come pick the timber up ;p

I'd like to see Lockheed Martin's ARV-A

See this link: http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/12822.pdf

what do the devs say about armed robotics? With the great need for troops and the issue of force protection, we will see more and more the need for Unmanned Ground Vehicles - armed too. Maybe not fully autonomous at least in regards to engagement of targets.

Funny thing about that ARV-A robot. I'm a peace-loving non-gun-owner with few hostile tendencies but if I saw one of them things rolling up my street even I would be tempted to find out how bullet holes I could put into it before it comes to a stop! Its got 'bullet magnet' written all over it ;)

It's a bit early for something like the MULE, given CM:SF's 2007 setting. Steve said at one point that the current small robotic vechiles were too rare and too expensive to see common usage, and therefore would not be included in CM:SF.

Now, I'd just love to see an FCS module down the road (or rather right now smile.gif ), but it will be extremely speculative, based on artists conceptions and educated guesses rather than facts, and BFC simply don't do that.

Respectfully

ludebamsen