Damascus, "Should you touch it with a barge pole".

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Middle to upper far left there is a huge thing that looks like a cross between an airport and a race track?

no idea what it is, but i don't think it's an airport.

Whats the name and size of that central roundabout,

i believe it's the Al Umawiyeen Square [sic]. it's about 200-300 meters wide.

and what is the dark cross on red building to the right and slightly down.
i believe it's a park in Damascus University.

Middle to upper far left there is a huge thing that looks like a cross between an airport and a race track?

"You mean, the way Baghdad was a death trap?"

Well, it look a couple months for that Baghdad deathtrap thing to get up and running. Currently, you've got to admit it ain't exactly as friendly as occupied Yokohama circa 1946.

Just as a political statement Damascus would have to be entered eventually. Whether it's after a formal surrender or at the very start i can't say. I believe the 'backstory' for the game might be the legitimate goverment gets overthrown and international forces (lead by us) intervene. That implies that we'd be able to put a Syrian face on the (ahem) 'liberation' forces spearheading entry into town. I think that would help alot.

Well, it look a couple months for that Baghdad deathtrap thing to get up and running. Currently, you've got to admit it ain't exactly as friendly as occupied Yokohama circa 1946.

Just as a political statement Damascus would have to be entered eventually. Whether it's after a formal surrender or at the very start i can't say. I believe the 'backstory' for the game might be the legitimate goverment gets overthrown and international forces (lead by us) intervene. That implies that we'd be able to put a Syrian face on the (ahem) 'liberation' forces spearheading entry into town. I think that would help alot.

MikeyD ,

Yeh but the legitimate Government is Assad and he's as big a thug as his dad. Thats like the US intervening to prop up Saddam if the Iranians had invaded in 2001.

Hardly likely.

We could see a sort of "Sandy revolution" like the Ukraines "Orange" one, and intervene to stop a blood bath, but even that would be highly unlikely unless the US wanted to be opportunistic.

Given allied support for Iraq was limited, and the current post OIF feeling in the US both of those are doubtful too.

Peter.

MikeyD ,

Yeh but the legitimate Government is Assad and he's as big a thug as his dad. Thats like the US intervening to prop up Saddam if the Iranians had invaded in 2001.

Hardly likely.

We could see a sort of "Sandy revolution" like the Ukraines "Orange" one, and intervene to stop a blood bath, but even that would be highly unlikely unless the US wanted to be opportunistic.

Given allied support for Iraq was limited, and the current post OIF feeling in the US both of those are doubtful too.

Peter.

MikeyD ,

Hardly likely.

Peter.

You mean, the way Baghdad was a death trap?
Consider the number of RPG hits the units taking part in the "thunder run" suffered. Now consider the fate of a Stryker after being hit by seven RPGs. See my point? tongue.gif

I said "comparative" deathtraps. Meaning it's much more dangerous than, as mentioned, 4km engagement ranges in the open desert. It doesn't mean I expect US troops to be butchered by the hundred.

You mean, the way Baghdad was a death trap?
Consider the number of RPG hits the units taking part in the "thunder run" suffered. Now consider the fate of a Stryker after being hit by seven RPGs. See my point? tongue.gif

I said "comparative" deathtraps. Meaning it's much more dangerous than, as mentioned, 4km engagement ranges in the open desert. It doesn't mean I expect US troops to be butchered by the hundred.