Stop happy-trigger

Besides you want to be sure the thing is damaged beyond repair. Pretty annoying if an abandoned tanks gets repaired by the enemy cause you could not hold the ground. Or even worse a crew remanning the vehicle after it failed to brew up.

I scored 5 penetrations and additional 5 partial penetrations at <100m in one turn with 2 PzIIIj vs one Lee - and that thing still moved and returned fire. So when to stop drilling holes?

No, waiting if the Lee still returns fire wasn't an option between shots. Next turn those 2 PzIIIs had one mission - make sure the beast is dead.

Gruß

Joachim

[ October 03, 2005, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Joachim ]

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Troops are trained to make sure something is no longer a threat before leaving it alone.

I think in a broad sense, that may be true but

I have a good friend who was a Karl Gustaf #2 for years and he was most definitely trained to load, hold for Karl G#1 to fire then run like hell.

Keeping in mind that a lone isolated tank or other armoured vehicle would be rare game for tank hunters, in a normal combat situation they'd only have a few seconds after firing before all hell would break loose on their position.

I wouldn't like to see the classic overkill as seen in current CMAK been removed. Unless the target brews up or totally disintigrates, there's no way to know what damage was caused by the hit. But IMHO some sort of shoot and scoot for infantry AT units seems a good idea, maybe with some sort of option to determine the number of rounds to shoot at the target, or a certain amount of time for the attack until the unit retreats. At least give them the option to withdraw after a confirmed kill.

I can't think of any real soldiers, firing at a Tiger with a bazooka, then sticking around a minute or two for another attack or to see if the cat's dead. It's not just because the tank could blast them to bits but also because of nearby enemy infantry, and I assume after one ot two shots, whether they hit or not, they would try to get the heck out of there ASAP.

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Troops are trained to make sure something is no longer a threat before leaving it alone.

I think in a broad sense, that may be true but

I have a good friend who was a Karl Gustaf #2 for years and he was most definitely trained to load, hold for Karl G#1 to fire then run like hell.

Keeping in mind that a lone isolated tank or other armoured vehicle would be rare game for tank hunters, in a normal combat situation they'd only have a few seconds after firing before all hell would break loose on their position. </font>

I have trouble believe how quick tank crew fire back after direct hit depend what kind of tanks. It will sure stunned them bad as round bounced around inside after hit I am talk about early as 1940 model that they never have tank battle before much as little they learned from WWI they saw in near end of war. Of course, they learned much and improve late as 1943-44. Best example, I am talking about effect inside tank after hit by rocket with HEAT warhead. Try picture yourself inside...will your vison still good? Inside get blacked as get blind by flash and feel burned.

To some readers, Do you want me explain more what HEAT is? I am sure 80 percents of readers know what it is...but I am not sure if they knew what exact happen to crew after hit by HEAT. It is like giant welder...very hot jetstream with melted metal as like volcano blew up inside in under one second.

I watched tv history channel as men talk about be in Sherman and faced to Tiger, they said they will see their friends' Shermans that got hit by tiger's 88 sometime before and peek inside to see if they can find bodies to but nope as just shoes and dogtag. Maybe some stories edit out as may too graphic on family channel.

[ October 03, 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Snow Leopard ]

HEAT, High Explosive Anti Tank, is the generic term commonly used to describe anti-armour weapons with a shaped charge warhead, which produces what is known as the Monroe effect.

Essentially, the warhead in this case will be an explosive charge with a conical hollow in the front, base towards the target. The fuse is at the front of the projectile, sufficiently far forward to achieve a 'standoff' distance on detonation, typically of several charge diameters. The detonation is initiated from the rear of the charge and proceeds such that the blast is focussed forwards, thanks to the conical void.

To further enhance this effect, the cone is typically lined with a metal, often copper or aluminium. The focussed blast overcomes the hydrostatic (or bulk) yield of the the metal and propels it forward along the axis of the cone (from tip to base, with respect to the cone shape). Velocities of this fluid* metal jet range from 2 to 8 km/s, although the energy spread is fairly even - that is, the slower moving parts of the jet are somewhat more massive than the fast moving tip.

The effects on armour vary, but typically the jet travels in a straight line until defeated by distance of air or armour. Catastrophic damage is unlikely to occur unless the jet hits something volatile.

In the event that the jet hits nothing of importance, the end result is typically no more than a mild overpressure.

Two examples spring to mind: The first, occurring somewhere in North West Europe in '44-'45, involves a Sherman being hit with what was suspected to be a Panzerfaust. The total effect was that the closed hatches were blown open - the crew didn't even realise that their armour had been penetrated. (I don't recall the details any further, and I don't have the book it was in either.)

The second event is much more recent; in August 2003, a US M1 Abrams was knocked out after an unknown projectile, believed to be an RPG7 rocket, scored a hit on the weak spot on the underside of the turret ring. The jet went clean across the turret and hit a control box on the far wall, which disabled the tank. The tank crew were largely unaffected, save for the gunner who lost a chunk out of his body armour. This level of damage is what is classed as a "mobility kill"

* Fluid it may be, but the jet is not molten. It may get that way after passing through air and armour, and then only around the edges, but it remains in the solid phase. It most certainly is not plasma, as it is often referred to as.

Originally posted by Snow Leopard:

I have trouble believe how quick tank crew fire back after direct hit depend what kind of tanks. It will sure stunned them bad as round bounced around inside after hit I am talk about early as 1940 model that they never have tank battle before much as little they learned from WWI they saw in near end of war. Of course, they learned much and improve late as 1943-44. Best example, I am talking about effect inside tank after hit by rocket with HEAT warhead. Try picture yourself inside...will your vison still good? Inside get blacked as get blind by flash and feel burned.

And while you try to sort yourself out after this horrifying experience, the other 18 tanks in the squadron and the attached infantry company, and the attached gun battery in overwatch make short work of the AT rocket launcher team, no need to thank them. ;)

Andrea,

Oh I forget that one as I wish that we have "shoot and scoot" order for anti-tank crew as other one mention that one.

I don't think anti-tank crew will want bother "beehive" if see 18 tanks near but will attack if see lone tank near as other in distant range. I did make crews hide and hold fire until I can be sure they will be able to escape after attack. If fight in city, they can escape easy.

Regards

Snowleopard

Maybe we get SOPs. This would solve the whole problem - would it.

Re 88s vs Shermans - an 88 shell has some more mass and HE inside than a HEAT round. Add to that the "Ronson - lights first time every time" nick of the Sherman. If the Sherman brews up, no further round necessary - this is a sure indication of a kill.

So what happens if a AT-team brews a tank and we have SOPs. Do we need one for the team to run after firing (which might be before the impact) - or do we need one "observe shot. If sure kill and no enemy overwatch - remain calm. If kill in doubt or overwatch - run. If good position, no overwatch and quick reload time - shoot again."?

Will there be the same SOPs for PaK 37mm HC or about any ATG at close quarters?

Opening up a can of worms....

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by flamingknives:

HEAT, High Explosive Anti Tank, is the generic term commonly used to describe anti-armour weapons with a shaped charge warhead, which produces what is known as the Monroe effect.

According to the all-seeing all-knowing Wikipedia HEAT rounds use the "Neumann effect" which was developed from the Monre effect. smile.gif In case you still don't know what a HEAT round is here is the link.