Issues not fixed by 1.02 Patch

Originally posted by drtechno:

I think you should be able to deploy [sFMGs] inside of houses. I mean, how many missions/games/movies have you seen where MG42s are deployed inside of houses, in towers, etc.

Um, missions/games/movies are not terribly good references, ya know?

You can use MGs indoors currently in the game, you just can't set them up on the tripods. Seems a reasonable limitation to me.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Ok, now the movement command keys are yet again mapped different;

B = Fast

I = Quick

N = Move

J = Slow

\ = Reverse

Am I the only one that fnds this musical chairs deal with the command keys to be just a bit odd?

Dirt,

you should find that - mostly - the old mapping of keys still works too. For example, "move" is either the new < n > or the old < o >, "target" is either the new < t > or the old < u >. The old < t > and < y > to scroll through the command tabs is gone though, replaced by F5 - F8.

B = Fast

I = Quick

N = Move

J = Slow

\ = Reverse

Am I the only one that fnds this musical chairs deal with the command keys to be just a bit odd?

Dirt,

you should find that - mostly - the old mapping of keys still works too. For example, "move" is either the new < n > or the old < o >, "target" is either the new < t > or the old < u >. The old < t > and < y > to scroll through the command tabs is gone though, replaced by F5 - F8.

B = Fast

I = Quick

N = Move

J = Slow

\ = Reverse

Dirt,

Well BF did not say anything about fixing these in the current patch. You should get angry when they say it's fixed but it is still not.

Re: "Units still not following orders once in awhile"

It is written in the manual that units do these so it's a design feature.

Well BF did not say anything about fixing these in the current patch. You should get angry when they say it's fixed but it is still not.

Originally posted by AdamL:

Is pathfinding improved? Are the infantry now working?

No.

Infantry still take bad routes even if given detailed movemtent paths.

When ordered into a building in a multi-building block too often the unit will go into the wrong section, into the enemy line of fire, run to the roof (the ones that are still alive that is), and then move from the roof to the desired entry point. This often finds them moving right past the enemy and, of course, getting shot up in the process.

Infantry still does not fire upon entering a room. Soldiers do not wait till everyone is in to start firing. I still have repeated instances where a single soldier kills an entire squad as they mill around waiting for the entire squad to complete moving.

Infantry still insists on exclusively using doors as entry points. This may be the case during police type work but during real combat any hole in a wall is an entry point. Troops ordered to enter a building are NOT going to run out into the middle of the street to find a door.

Having just played Normaldude's Airport scenario these issues make infantry heavy scenarios almost unplayable.

I also had an issue with one of my snipe units. Both of his squadmates could see an enemy squad while he sat there with his M110 and continued "spotting." When an attempt was made to target the enemy the target was "out of LOS" even though the line was bright blue and the rest of the unit was firing. I don't think my sniper fired a single shot.

I am beginning to think that even though the squad is represented by 9 men and can take casualties where ever those men are it still has an abstracted center that determines when an order is complete. Thus even though half the squad is sitting inside an enemy occupied room the entire squad is technically completing the movement order. So while the enemy is firing away the squad is waiting for everyone to finish moving. In essence you have a unit that can be hit at any time but can only hit back when everyone is ready to follow a new order. It also seems that the "center" determines when a movement order is complete. Several times I have had squads crawl to a point closer to the enemy befor attempting to crawl away even when they are sitting right next to an entry point or cover. The 1 to 1 representation is nice but unless the individual soldiers act intelligently it is better to have the old system.

No.

When ordered into a building in a multi-building block too often the unit will go into the wrong section, into the enemy line of fire, run to the roof (the ones that are still alive that is), and then move from the roof to the desired entry point. This often finds them moving right past the enemy and, of course, getting shot up in the process.

Infantry still does not fire upon entering a room. Soldiers do not wait till everyone is in to start firing. I still have repeated instances where a single soldier kills an entire squad as they mill around waiting for the entire squad to complete moving.

Infantry still insists on exclusively using doors as entry points. This may be the case during police type work but during real combat any hole in a wall is an entry point. Troops ordered to enter a building are NOT going to run out into the middle of the street to find a door.

Having just played Normaldude's Airport scenario these issues make infantry heavy scenarios almost unplayable.

I also had an issue with one of my snipe units. Both of his squadmates could see an enemy squad while he sat there with his M110 and continued "spotting." When an attempt was made to target the enemy the target was "out of LOS" even though the line was bright blue and the rest of the unit was firing. I don't think my sniper fired a single shot.

I am beginning to think that even though the squad is represented by 9 men and can take casualties where ever those men are it still has an abstracted center that determines when an order is complete. Thus even though half the squad is sitting inside an enemy occupied room the entire squad is technically completing the movement order. So while the enemy is firing away the squad is waiting for everyone to finish moving. In essence you have a unit that can be hit at any time but can only hit back when everyone is ready to follow a new order. It also seems that the "center" determines when a movement order is complete. Several times I have had squads crawl to a point closer to the enemy befor attempting to crawl away even when they are sitting right next to an entry point or cover. The 1 to 1 representation is nice but unless the individual soldiers act intelligently it is better to have the old system.

No.

On a more technical note. I noticed several units who were supposed to be walking beside a large concrete wall seemed to be floating above the wall instead.

I also noticed that the large concrete wall seems to be totally transparent to small arms fire. Several squads taking cover behind the wall were decimated by small arms from several tens of meters away. I purposely sent units to see if my perception was correct. It was.

On a more technical note. I noticed several units who were supposed to be walking beside a large concrete wall seemed to be floating above the wall instead.

I also noticed that the large concrete wall seems to be totally transparent to small arms fire. Several squads taking cover behind the wall were decimated by small arms from several tens of meters away. I purposely sent units to see if my perception was correct. It was.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Yeah we saw this one way back. Hopefully they will put a priority on it.

LOS/LOF problems

LOS/LOF problems

LOS/LOF problems

"...musical chairs deal with the command keys ..."

Eh, be happy you weren't a beta tester. I think I got to learn four completely different command sets over time! You know, if you make suggestions it will have consequences. Someone on the board expressed discomfort about the repeating keyboard commmands under different windows so BFC obligingly addressed his concerns. That'll teach 'im to complain! ;)

"Camera moves smoother, but still laggy"

Which of the four (or more?) different methods of camera movement are you using? I use the mouse with buttons & center wheel and the camera flies like a bird! There is one thing, you might call it a 'technique' problem. If you control the camera with the mouse it can get a bit laggy if your cursor's too close to the screen edge to move. Making sure your cursor's at least reasonably centered instead of by the edge will help movement considerably.

Eh, be happy you weren't a beta tester. I think I got to learn four completely different command sets over time! You know, if you make suggestions it will have consequences. Someone on the board expressed discomfort about the repeating keyboard commmands under different windows so BFC obligingly addressed his concerns. That'll teach 'im to complain! ;)

Which of the four (or more?) different methods of camera movement are you using? I use the mouse with buttons & center wheel and the camera flies like a bird! There is one thing, you might call it a 'technique' problem. If you control the camera with the mouse it can get a bit laggy if your cursor's too close to the screen edge to move. Making sure your cursor's at least reasonably centered instead of by the edge will help movement considerably.

After the v1.02 patch:

QBs are still unplayable via any of the 2 player WeGo modes.

Scenarios are 2 player WeGo playable but infantry will not move on the first turn, only vehicles.

Vehicles still get stuck in or near buildings.

BMPs do not fire at spotted infantry unless ordered to so.

US infantry won't fire AT4s at anything less than a tank. This includes manual target orders, they fire a lot of M203 at the IFV.

TOWs fired from higher terrain still miss 99% of the time.

LoS and LoF are still broken. Units fire through 3m concrete walls with small arms like the wall isn't even there.

Pathfinding is still pretty crazy for vehicles and infantry.

After the v1.02 patch:

Scenarios are 2 player WeGo playable but infantry will not move on the first turn, only vehicles.

US infantry won't fire AT4s at anything less than a tank. This includes manual target orders, they fire a lot of M203 at the IFV.

LoS and LoF are still broken. Units fire through 3m concrete walls with small arms like the wall isn't even there.

After the v1.02 patch: