Will CMSF be modelling this ...

vetacon

Great googly moogly. That's brass balls for ya.

And ya; Apaches are a very good attack helicopter, but obviously a much less effective troop transport; is it really true that the British Armed forces has absolutely no kind of VTOL light troop transport hardy enough for use in a combat environment? That would be a very serious procurement oversight. . .

Cheers,

YD

Medals all around. A VC perhaps?

YD, does anyone have a armoured light helicopter?

Don't think a Blackhawk or MD500 would be sturdy enough, and a Hind I suspect would be a bit big.

vetacon,

thanks for posting, but would you mind fixing the link? It's fuxxoring the forum readability fr anyone not running a 2048x1536 monitor. Like this.

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Great googly moogly. That's brass balls for ya.

And ya; Apaches are a very good attack helicopter, but obviously a much less effective troop transport; is it really true that the British Armed forces has absolutely no kind of VTOL light troop transport hardy enough for use in a combat environment? That would be a very serious procurement oversight. . .

Cheers,

YD

Yah, well, welcome to the MOD's procurement policy. This year they've spent £2.3Bn on new offices (including £1,000 per comfy office chair) and £47.19 on equipment for the armed forces.

Wankers. :mad:

Personally, I'd not trust any helicopter to be armoured enough to deliberately fly into small arms fire. They're full of single-point failure components.

If Lynx was considered to be sturdy enough for Attack Helicopter work, I don't see why it should be that much less suitable than surfing an Apache. There were quite a few Lynx at one point.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

If Lynx was considered to be sturdy enough for Attack Helicopter work, I don't see why it should be that much less suitable than surfing an Apache. There were quite a few Lynx at one point.

From what I can discern from the British Army website, the only transport helicopters deployed in theatre are Chinooks. I understand Lynxes are still used but I don't know in what capacity, and in any event it appears that none are in Afghanistan.

It would be interesting to hear what someone in the know has to add.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article1873845.ece

The fourth type of helicopter in service with British forces in Afghanistan, the Lynx, has no tactical lift capacity, but is useful for reconnaissance and carrying commanders from point to point. But they have proved unsuited to the extreme conditions in southern Afghanistan, where the intense heat in midsummer prevented them from being flown during the daytime, and their engines were damaged by dust and grit.
Odd as the Lynx was certainly used in N. Ireland in shifting troops around. Plus the Apache engines are just as prone to often needing engine/rotor blade replacements for overhauling approx for every 30 hours flying time in Afghanistan AFAIK. Possibly the Apaches are receiving the highest maintenance priority.

I'll ask at Wattisham where UK Apaches are based to see what the story is.

"That is why you see so many chinooks used in Afganistan"

I'm a bit (a lot) out-of-the-loop on this topic. Am I correct in believinig that Chinook's production line has been closed down for decades now? That what we've got is all we'll get? One assumes between very high service use and occassional combat losses the fleet would gradually get whittled down to nothin' - and without a comparable replacement on the horizon. Maybe we'll then start leasing those big Russian M-26 helos from just across the border.

21wld_copter,0.jpg

Ah, I AM out of date on the Chinook!

I knew there was a major upgrade in the works but I didn't realise new airframes of the old beast were being built as well. I'm assuming the seventeen 'new' CM-47Fs mentioned in that link should be considered a 'foot-in-the-door' for when it comes time to consider replacing our soon-to-be worn-out helo force.