Spanish preview: awesome game

Hi all. I have had the pleasure to be the first player in Spain to play a beta of CMSF. Friendware (the spanish company that will distribute the game in my country) provided me with an early beta of the game. The beta has some problems (there are some textures missing, CTD, and the IA is not a good opponent at all) but it shows the potencial of the game in all the aspects. Graphically the game is awesome and the addiction and playability are great.

Although the IA is not completely implemented in the beta and it's a very early one, the game rocks and i have had the most enjoyable moments of the last months playing a game.

All the CM fans will find easy to get accostumed to CMSF. All the orders (except 2 o 3 that are new) are the same of the others CM games. The waypoints, the key words, the waypoints, the sounds, etc, are practically the same that you can find in CMBB or CMAK.

I have played the beta from the last week and it's getting better and better every game i play.

Here is a link to the preview with some interesting screenshots.

http://puntadelanza.net/Foro/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6063

11-correr.jpg

Sigiloso.jpg

13-done.jpg

This game will be a MUST HAVE.

A must have...hmm...here's hoping for another 2 year addiction that each of the other CM games brought with them.

If you Haplo_Patryn or anyone else who played this game could write a short AAR to let us get a feel for this game, that would be excellent smile.gif .

//Salkin

How much of the internals of a building is represented? I would imagine they are empty boxes like CMX1.

In the beta i'm playing, yes. I don't know whether in the last beta the game has improved or not in this aspect. In my shots you can see that there are only empty boxes but there are some "red carpets" on the floor in some buildings. I don't know if this is intentional or maybe the "red carpet" is only a spot to mark a texture that will be added in futures versions of the beta.

The most impressive thing i have see playing the beta is watching the troops jumping the walls to assault with nades a building. In CMSF the troops can jump the walls (the short ones, of course) or put a charge in the buildings to open a hole and move through it.

The urbanwarfare in CMSF rules.

This is what happens when the troops carried in a Stryker receive the order to go FAST to an adjacent building.

First, i select in what level of the building i whant to go. Level 1, 2 or maybe the roof?

1-pisos.jpg

The Stryker unloads the troops, that form around the vehicle in defensive posture.

1-Stryker.jpg

When the troops have unloaded they ran to the objetive.

2-Stryker.jpg

Upstairs ("empty box" building and the "red carpet" to the left of the screenshot)

3-Stryker.jpg

Finally, the roof.

4-Stryker.jpg

[ June 26, 2007, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Haplo_Patryn ]

If you look at CMSF's latest website screenshots you'll see things have changed considerably from the beta game he got to play. Different soldier polys and skins, refined animations. You'll notice his build doesn't even have proper humvee skins yet! My point is the stuff he's enthused about the game will still be in there, and the more iffy bits will have been repeatedly re-re-reworked in later Beta builds. Final product's going to be a sight to behold! :D

If this is the UI that will be in the final (it's different to the old descriptions on the forum sticky), is that pyramid thing on the left side like a "suppression'o'meter"?

The 3 boxes above it I guess are the command links available to the unit and above those is the stats for the unit.

Right of the command links those 4 vertical bars, is that a indicator of ammo or available weapon "power"?

Right of that I guess is the support weapon interface (no more cycling through my units to find the spotters anymore!)

The only other thing I was wondering about is what the little icons next to unit weapon icons in the middle mean?

"No haze/distance effect."

Well, not if you don't actually specify it while making the scenario. :rolleyes:

"is that pyramid thing on the left side like a "suppression'o'meter"?" Good guess! You're right. When the toolbar layout was first presented on this forum I was sure it was a "fog-of-war" meter representing a soldier's LOS range, but I was quickly disabused of that notion.

About those little boxes to the right of the weapons... hmmm... Oh! I think I know. The Stryker's selected so that must be (in the bottom screenshot) designtion for the vehicle commander, gunner and driver - that bottom icon does look like a driving yoke, right? But what's the 3rd icon down on the top screenshot - an arrow and a 'bottle'? Either that guy supplies the booze or is designated to cart extra ammo around. I guess.

How does the command system with squads actually work? You give the whole squad a single command as in CM right (this was my understanding from a previous thread) then the tacAI tries to make each individual do something intelligent? e.g. Say you send a squad into a room? Assuming you've not commanded them to hide, do they distribute themselves around the windows or firing points automatically? What happens if you want to micromanage a given squad member to a particular position? Can you do that?

Enquiring minds want to know smile.gif

[ June 25, 2007, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: SteveS ]

Originally posted by rune:

You cannot micromanage an indiviual soldier, the AI will get the troops to cover the doors and windows.

Rune

Good. Thanks. I am quite pleased that is the case. It implies the game has a decent range of scalability once the hardware catches up. Micromanagement on the level of the individual soldier would be real drudge.

It will be fun seeing how it works in practice though smile.gif