highspeed vehicle collisions?

BFC has stated that they aren't going to build ramming features into CMx2, mostly because use of ramming tactics wasn't common enough in WW2 to be included in the game.

however, i was watching

and i wonder if CMx2 simulates effects of (perhaps unintentional) highspeed collisions. modern combat vehicles are damn fast and thus collisions can be quite dramatic. say, i have a M1 or a Stryker going 80 km/h and it accidentally collides with a Syrian jeep at crossroads. will there be a CMx1 style push effect or something a bit more realistic?

URC,

That reminds me of a passage in "Thunder Run". One of the Mi's was moving at what must've been a moderate rate of speed with the turret slewed over towards one side. They went under a highway bridge which, unfortunately for them, was narrower than the M1's gun barrel is long. Think of a dog with a branch trying to run into a doorway. The result was a large sound, confusion, and a spinning turret. Perhaps some smoke as well. The damage was a destroyed hydraulic traverse system.

Will that be modelled?

Thanks,

Ken

URC,

I'm with you on this, and bull through tactics do exist, too, such as when dealing with crude barricades in the street--not prepared log cribs or concrete pilings.

Bertram,

Good one! Suggest you send that to MythBusters, since the people there think quicksand's a myth. Why? They couldn't duplicate it on the show. There was also a great quicksand sequence in that new survival show starring Bear Gryll, this one on the banks of the Colorado River.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

I would suggest you rewatch that episode. In the first 30 seconds of the segment the beret wearing guy says "the myth isn't whether quicksand exists, it is whether killer quicksand exists." Whether "Hollywood" quicksand existed that a person could be completely sucked down by. They even say at the end of the segment that people have died in quicksand but that it is not due to drowning, as people are too buoyant, but because of getting stuck (then dying by dehydration or something).

This is doable in the 3d world, e.g. Battlefield 2 can simulate 'ramming' damage, against vehicles and against soldiers. But I can understand if it's not at the top of their todo list.

T34s running over AT guns were so common that it's simulated even in CMx1. I guess for the WWII version we will see some solution.

Originally posted by Kineas:

T34s running over AT guns were so common that it's simulated even in CMx1. I guess for the WWII version we will see some solution.

It's easy to simulate tanks crashing on infantry: infantry dies, nothing happens to tank. But what happens if a Stryker comes from behind a corner and collides with a T-72? Damage modelling part would probably be easier than the physics part, but overall I doubt it's very likely event and thus there's tons of more common events to model. Such as divine intervention (various gods to model), female soldier menstruation, sunstrokes, Spanish inquisition and bird flue.

[ March 04, 2007, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

This is doable in the 3d world, e.g. Battlefield 2 can simulate 'ramming' damage, against vehicles and against soldiers.
The thing to keep in mind here is that BF2 doesn't really simulate anything. It's an arcade shooter, through and through. A good one, to be sure, but that's irrelevant for our purposes.

Battlefront could slap on a hardcoded 'if stryker hits T-72, stryker = destroyed, T-72 = gun damage' collision model, but that'd make the game less realistic, not more.

Originally posted by Moronic Max:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />This is doable in the 3d world, e.g. Battlefield 2 can simulate 'ramming' damage, against vehicles and against soldiers.

The thing to keep in mind here is that BF2 doesn't really simulate anything. It's an arcade shooter, through and through. A good one, to be sure, but that's irrelevant for our purposes.

Battlefront could slap on a hardcoded 'if stryker hits T-72, stryker = destroyed, T-72 = gun damage' collision model, but that'd make the game less realistic, not more. </font>

Not really relavant but a fun story.

We were doing a night attack when I was OPFOR and I was trailing an M60 as we approached an intersection. All of us were going flat out, which for the vehicles involved was about 25 mph. Through my NODs I see another tank coming down the road that intersected ours. Just as I was telling my driver that these guys might hit, they did. There was a shower of sparks and the tank that got hit tipped a couple feet in the air before settling back down. I pulled up next to them to render assistance and saw all of the crew sticking out of the hatches screaming at each other. I figured they were ok, and they were, so I proceeded with the mission. I don't know if either tank was able to proceed with the mission but I know that neither recieved any permanent damage. Looked neat though.

Of course I was thanking the gods that I wasn't the lead vehicle for that one. That M60 would have shredded my little 113.