Another UI Suggestion

In the same way that a wordprocessor has Bookmarks maybe CM could have 'Terrain Marks'. The user would move to a point on the map, set the view direction and height to whatever was required and then assign this (location, height, direction) triplet to a hot key ready for using again. A number of these 'Terrain Marks' could be created and used to quickly move to strategic points on the battlefield.

Mike

Originally posted by KiloIndiaAlpha:

In the same way that a wordprocessor has Bookmarks maybe CM could have 'Terrain Marks'. The user would move to a point on the map, set the view direction and height to whatever was required and then assign this (location, height, direction) triplet to a hot key ready for using again. A number of these 'Terrain Marks' could be created and used to quickly move to strategic points on the battlefield.

Mike

I'm for this. I'll go you one further. Allow these Terrain Marks to be accessed during the scenario briefing - maybe a split screen? So that on one half of the screen, you're reading your mission brief, on the other half, you have the 3D world to move around in. Put in some hot links to these Terrain Marks in the briefing. So that you can click on it in the brief, and the camera view comes up in the 3D world in the other half of the screen.

For example

Left half of screen - text reading "Your mission is to secure the stone bridge over the River Dives." You click on the link provided and simultaneously

Right half of screen - 3D world takes you to preset camera angle, showing the bridge from an angle and height determined by the scenario creator

You go back to

Left half of screen - "Reinforcements in the form of a reinforced tank platoon may be available in ten minutes or so, entering on the Route Nationale 158" Click the link and

Right half of screen - 3D world takes you to the map edge showing where the reinforcements will enter.

Left half of screen - "Enemy anti-tank guns are believed to be dug in on the ridges beyond the town of Trun." Click the link

Right half of screen - the camera angle changes to an overhead shot, with an overlay showing military map marking symbols showing suspected enemy positions.

Etc.

Make it happen! (please)

Took me a minute, but yes...this would be great. Seems minor, but I think once it was there it would be one of those "how did we live without this?!" things.

I've played several games with the customizable camera hotkeys and I don't know why I never thought of applying it to CM.

And Dorosh's idea is great too. Kind of a shortcut to the briefing improvements/map preview ideas that have been kicked around previously.

Hmmm...maybe that could be tied in with the whole "recce" discussion of late?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I'm for this. I'll go you one further. Allow these Terrain Marks to be accessed during the scenario briefing - maybe a split screen? So that on one half of the screen, you're reading your mission brief, on the other half, you have the 3D world to move around in. Put in some hot links to these Terrain Marks in the briefing. So that you can click on it in the brief, and the camera view comes up in the 3D world in the other half of the screen.

For example

Left half of screen - text reading "Your mission is to secure the stone bridge over the River Dives." You click on the link provided and simultaneously

Right half of screen - 3D world takes you to preset camera angle, showing the bridge from an angle and height determined by the scenario creator

/snip

Good idea, even better if it is rendered in grainy black & white!

I'd rather have 'terrain notes' or 'play notes' that either player could sticky to the map (and be invisible to the other player).

Oh, and similar functionality to provide side-specific landmarks for the scen designers to use.

And hidden VPs, so you don't KNOW (but might well guess) what the enemies geographic objectives are.

Wow (dusting off old memories), I'm sure we had this in the plans for one of the CMx1 games. Haven't thought of it in a while at the very least.

Well, it is a good idea. However, it won't be going into CMx2. At least not the first release. This is a "Bell and Whistle" feature which ranks well after tons of other ones in terms of importance. As always, we can not get to all good ideas so I'm nearly positive this one is destined to keep getting excluded so that something else can be included.

Steve