SC2 Demo Questions Thread

In lieu of the User Manual not included with the demo, I and other playtesters can answer some questions here. I'll check back in later.

Teaser - You don't get the Editor but take a look at the localization.txt file in the main directory. That gives you a good idea of what can be modded... just about everything. ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea and feel free to take a look at the D-Day mini-campaign subfolders as this is essentially how a mod would work. You'll notice the structure and what has been edited in order to give alternate text, sounds, unit, terrain and resource graphics while at the same time preserving all of the original files.

Hey, here are some helpful tips:

- Left click on a national flag to center the screen on its capital

- Right click on a national flag to bring up the production queue

- Use Ctrl+Left click to select movement waypoints, especially helpful at sea

- Right click on a unit and select "Properties" from the drop down menu for detailed unit info. After a few battles, check out the new "Honors" dialog.

- Right click on a unit and select "Set Mode" from the drop down menu to set Subs to silent running, change Air Fleet posture, prepare Paratroops for airdrop, or change HQ attachments.

- From the "Maps" menu button, select Convoy Map to see where the convoy routes are and where your subs are in relation to them.

What else can YOU find??

I just played the DEMO and the Graphic's worked just fine.

Of course, the obvious is to download the latest DirectX from Microsoft...and hope that, that will alleviate the problem!.

Goto this Website... DIRECTX

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Then click "Continue" to 'Validate' your Windows Installation & Download the very latest DirectX!.

Once your 'Validation' has passed you will be automatically directed to the download page!.

[ April 04, 2006, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

I downloaded the demo but have been afraid to play it. What happens when I get to the end of the demo and am left with that unfulfilled feeling from not being able to finish my game? No thanks. No blue tanks for me! I'm still waiting for the box to show up at my door.

Oh my God .... the graphic is BULL****. Who have the idea to make a strategic game with 3D-Graphicengine ????

I don`t look fine armees and corps ... no no no .... i want to play a fine strategic game. Where are the hexfields ? The new movement without hexfields is BULL**** too ...

Watch your language Ralley. No problem with strong opinions, but the language does not have to be equally strong.

How long have you played the demo? I don't think that you can snap-judge like this about a game with SC2's depth, but of course if you are fixated that a strategy game is only fine with 2D graphics and hexes, I don't think I even want to try to change that view smile.gif

Martin

Sorry for my english.

I have play the demo many hours. I´am fan from SC-1 and i play this game Online and PBEM, is very good.

I wait a long time for SC-2 and i disappointed. All what´s make SC to a cultgame is not in SC-2. Is have very bad graphic ... is for kids to see fine units and graphics, not for earnest strategic player ... sorry.

Can you help with the HQ modes? Whats the Auto Assist and how do I select units in Manual mode?
Back to questions, which is the only point of this thread. With the User Manual now available for download, most all answers can be found there. Page 37 explains how the new HQ attachments work.

Also, pages 56-57 explain all the game menu buttons and hotkeys, so players should look at those.

Although i have to admit that SC 1 did not find my love in the first glance...later i realized that its a great strategy game and especially in TCIP mode it´s a great game....now i have the same problems with SC 2 i´m very dissappointed about the graphics. I know that HC put many many efforts to make a great game and he wanted to change and improve many things in relation to SC 1 but i would love to see he same graphics like in SC 1. The decision to buy or not to buy i will postpone for a while.....maybe a patch where one can switch between "old fashioned" graphics and 3D graphics will speed up my decision.

That from the strategic vievpoint SC2 will be a great game is without doubt.

I think one of the issues with the graphics, and the complaint of them being "crowded", is that when you have a cluster of them in adjacent tiles, it is difficult to distinquish between them and it looks like a blur...adding the solid coler base helps a bit, but I'm finding that using the NATO symbols is a better option.....

I think some of this is the shock of dealing with something new. I went through it myself. Tiles? Isometric map? 3D icons? But really, it just doesn't matter after a while and I find it all very acceptable now. Once you get used to what the different units are like and you learn the underlying map and terrain, you can then focus on gameplay. Wait till you get into a network game with a timer and things start getting really busy. You will definitely have other things to focus on.

"A dog in the hunt don't know he's got fleas." ;)

Originally posted by Ralley:

Sorry for my english.

I have play the demo many hours. I´am fan from SC-1 and i play this game Online and PBEM, is very good.

I wait a long time for SC-2 and i disappointed. All what´s make SC to a cultgame is not in SC-2. Is have very bad graphic ... is for kids to see fine units and graphics, not for earnest strategic player ... sorry.

Use the NATO 2D graphics, you have the option...

The option is THERE, so compaining about not liking 3D graphics is pointless.

Ralley, I don't know what you think made SC to a cultgame, but for me it was the gameplay and not the graphics. SC1 was simple to play, but difficult to master. SC2 is just like that, except that it adds several whole new layers to the gamedepth.

SC2 is much more than just different graphics. Yes, they have been improved on, because with the 2002 look, SC1 would have been ripped apart in the game press, but the graphical changes are comparatively minor to the major additions in gameplay, scalability and flexibility. The majority of the graphics were made by Fernando, and Hubert spent the past 3 years with more than just figuring out how to put new bmps into the game smile.gif

By the way, if the graphics really bug you, you can easily modify them to whatever you like. You already have the 2D option built in, as Blashy mentioned. Open the options panel and de-select 3D units - there you go.

If you want to have it even more plain, you can create your own unit graphics. I think fantomas already posted some for download in fact.

Martin

I like the graphics... I want more eye and ear candy. I never can understand my some "wargamers" can't have great gameplay and great audio and graphics.

It's like some kind of hang up that you can't have both. To be honest it is a total drag for me if either are missing.

I just wanted to put in my little comment from the "other" side. smile.gif

I like the graphics too!,...and so do not find them to be any problem at all for me!.

The 3-D graphic's do not disorient me in any way, shape or form!...i have no trouble understanding or comprehending the strategic situation!. Even at a glance on the screen,...they do not interfere or create any problem!...at least for me!.

As mentioned before by Moon and other's...the 2-D option is readily available and a Unit/Icon replacement option is there for those who must have it!...so the 3-D Graphic's should then no longer be a major problem for some!.

Originally posted by Retributar:

I like the graphics too!,...and so do not find them to be any problem at all for me!.

The 3-D graphic's do not disorient me in any way, shape or form!...i have no trouble understanding or comprehending the strategic situation!. Even at a glance on the screen,...they do not interfere or create any problem!...at least for me!.

As mentioned before by Moon and other's...the 2-D option is readily available and a Unit/Icon replacement option is there for those who must have it!...so the 3-D Graphic's should then no longer be a major problem for some!.

I knew I wasn't the only one! smile.gif