• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont know what it is. But I agree it is not the same.

SCI was a classic strategy game and it attracted the old war-gaming community, however, it was also so simple and good it attracted many people to play it. It was also a great game to play human verses human. For many of us we played it again and again. We gave it up and came back to it.

I agree with Iron Ranger, I dont think people are playing SC II for whatever reason when it comes to human verses human. It just doesnt seem to be being played as much from a human verses human stand point. That is not to say people are not playing it against the AI, I think they are.

For me I like the mod's and its worth the price of the game for that reason. I have not played the game against another human and that is from someone who must have played SC1 human verses human a couple of hundread games. For me SCII lost its simplicity and human verses human quality. That is just my view so please dont flame me for it. I could explain that in detail but I dont want to be negative to HC who is someone I greatly admire as a game maker. HC you did a great job in both games and thanks for all the hard work.

Simply put SCII is a fun game to play against the AI and for the Mods. But it does not lend itself to human verses human play.

I play Battle for Middle Earth by EA with my son. I got into the game simply because of my son and now I enjoy it. EA learned that many players will buy the game and play it not to play it because of the AI but because of the human verses human competion. I always read on these threads comments against people like Rambo who stressed human verses human game play and said people dont buy a game for that. Those same people said you need to make a game for people to play against the AI. I use to agree with them, I no longer do, I dont think that is true anymore. Times change, gamers change. Companies like EA are finding out there is a huge gaming market in making a game not only that it is fun to play against the AI but the market is huge if the game can draw in players to play human verses human. SC1 did that.

Always try to enjoy present company, as time changes things. Look back to the old SC1 community with fondness, and try to live in the present here. My only regret after finding the original SC is not coming online then and check out the community.

I only played SC2 online and I liked it a lot still some of of simplicity of SC1 was missing.

After a computer crash I haven´t even reinstalled SC2 yet and I can´t really comment on the changes of 1.04. Still I would like to give shortly the reasons I am in a lurking mode right now.

- SC1 had great french campaign ( At the start of the MP game) SC2 feels a little bit lurkwarm in this regard, extension of the campaign mainly influenced by weather and luck.

=> game takes a long time going

- Square instead of hexes old topic still I like hexes a lot more as I notice right now playing a fantasy hex field strategy game with hexes online.

- To many luck related game aspects: Weather, Tech, Diplomacy

- Many artificial restricitons: Artificial in the way that not the internal rules of movements, supply etc. make some strategy not workable but scripts which prevent gamey tactics. USA invasion, switch of London capital to Alexandria, huge Siberian transfer etc. I feel forced to play not a game around strategy but knowing scripts and internal game mechanics

- Last but not least SC2 was very sensible to tab out of the game while my opponent moved still you couldnt do anything while he is moving ´not even scroll over the map (I think this has changed in the last patch?)

For the moment I will lurk and observe SC2 for a little while and come back from time to time. Its still fun to see how Rambo, Terif, Jollyguy Pfeiffer perform in the MP games.

But for now I am more interessted in playing a certain fantasy hex strategy game online.

I feel forced to play not a game around strategy but knowing scripts and internal game mechanics
Interesting observation, and though I understand why these scripts were created I would like to see them less predictable.

Example: Siberian Transfer

-- I would rather see the Russian player have a choice of when to transfer untis from Siberia. Withdraw forces from Siberia too soon and the Japanese may attack and conquer the 3 cities of Siberian Russia, depriving Russia of much needed MPPs and thus not attack the USA at Pearl Harbor (and the entry of the USA into the war is delayed). Perhaps a mini-map of Siberia seperated from the European Map by transit tiles.

Sombra,

- Last but not least SC2 was very sensible to tab out of the game while my opponent moved still you couldnt do anything while he is moving ´not even scroll over the map (I think this has changed in the last patch?)

The next patch fixes a lot of these issues, scrolling during TCP/IP is already fixed in v1.04, and ALT-TAB is now also supported for TCP/IP as well as AI games. In fact there are a lot of enhancements that will be a part of the next patch that I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised smile.gif

USA invasion, switch of London capital to Alexandria, huge Siberian transfer etc. I feel forced to play not a game around strategy but knowing scripts and internal game mechanics

While I realize it might feel that there are a lot more of these in SC2 versus the original both games do have (to a certain degree) these sorts of *safety* events to keep things balanced. However, the nice thing with SC2 is that any of the disliked events can always be turned off before starting a game via the in game SCRIPTS dialog as well as tweaked via the Editor for a customized version of the campaign of your choice.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Hi folks,

Well, I played about 15 TCIP games SC 2 but i got bored. But that was not the fault of SC 2 alone i think i got bored from computerplaying during the summer time at all :D

Now i started to play again..but guess...not SC 2 but SC 1. :eek:

It´s hard to explain why i like SC 1 more ...maybe i like hextiles, maybe i miss this tricky french campagne of SC 1 ..where ppl invented so many openings.

AFAIK there was much more stuff to discuss in SC1.

SC 2 is IMO much more standard game play than SC 1 and even more luck.

SC 2 is a good game but i miss the same feeling when playing SC1. m2c

Greetings Dragonheart (Königstiger PL)

Hubert,

I don't play much but I like to piddle around with the scenario editor, usually just altering the basic 1939 game mod.

At first a lot of that had an awkward feel and I found myself getting bizarre results I hadn't bargained for. But lately, either because of the patch changes or a growing familiarity with your system, or a bit of both, I'm finding the scenario editor to be much easier to work with.

It will be a while before I can attempt an adaptation of The Brest-Litovsk Aftermath, which would entail creating new nations like Ukrainia on the existing map, but less complex projects are already in sight, such as a 1942 Z-Plan.

Looking forward to your next patch, Mr. C., Great Work all the way through -- and that's from a longtime hex fanatic. :cool: smile.gif

I consider myself a run-of-the-mill customer. I posted more when the game was released simply because I had more questions. I´m still here playing the game, but am now mainly waiting for new patches (the promised AI-patch comes to mind ;) ). And I´m still convinced that SC2 will live long and prosper because of its outstanding moddability.

The French Campaign of SC-1:

I stated this a LONG TIME AGO, that the French Campaign made SC-1 !!! It was exciting. Lets be honest, the ground combat of SC-1, was rather "Lucky" how it worked out. Everybody got caught up in A.I., features, & other crap...while the very basics of ground combat is what makes/breaks things. Problem with SC-1, was experience got out of hand.

SC-1 vs SC-2 are different beasts. Personally, I like them both. If I had high speed internet at home, I'd be playing more live SC-2 games...that would lead to more AARs, more smack, & add more excitement to the atmosphere.

SC-1 has issues: experience too strong, landing bonus is dumb, no Allied supply in Africa, etc.

SC-2 Africa stuff is ALOT better.

Time to sack up,

-Legend

Man HC, you ever feel "Damned if you do and Damned if you don't"? Its like dealing with a bunch of women around here, you never know what's going to please them and just when you think you have, they'll contradict what they yearned for in the first place. :confused:

YIKES! you guys having hot flashes too? :(

Menopausal, the whole bunch of ya. tongue.gif

I'm playing the hell out of this game, and I'll take on anyone, you bunch of crybabies. :mad:

This is a magnificent creation born from the dying embers of SC1. SC2 is a lot of what we asked for in the SC1 forums,

Take a bow HC, :cool: ...and

the rest of you maggots....be careful what you wish for! :rolleyes:

SeaMonkey!:

Hear!...Hear!...Magnificient Speech SeaMonkey!!!,...very well said, and very inspiring!.

This is a magnificent creation born from the dying embers of SC1. SC2 is a lot of what we asked for in the SC1 forums... , ,
...and i also concur!,...A Very Big "Congratulation's" to H.C.!!!.

Thanks Retri, but..

well it wasn't that good! Wait till TJ or Blashy set me off with there self-righteous condemnations of people that are trying to do some good in this world....Like they have all the answers.

They'll be the first ones dead. At least they'll be doing some good then....fertilizing the daisies!

Originally posted by SeaMonkey:

... Wait till TJ or ... set me off with there self-righteous condemnations of people that are trying to do some good in this world....Like they have all the answers. ...

No point letting it set you off, SeaMonkey. As I said, regarding that first yahoo, he'll never have the answers because he doesn't understand the questions. I'm planning to ignore that nonsense from this point on.

No, no, no, we can't ignore that nonsense because that means tolerating it. I'm sick of being on the defensive when I come to this forum because some folk can't keep their egos in check.

If the admins are too complacent to do something about it, we should.

Thanks JJ, I'm calming down now....taking out my aggressiveness on my SC opponents.

You know how it is, you go on vacation to somewhere "Magical" and everything is fine.

Then I come back to this "culture of grievances" which never gets anything done, wallering around in a pigsty of bitches.

SeaMonkey !...Napoleone' had that same anguishing problem!.

His Imperiale Guarde' were mostly made up of his oldest, most battle-hardened 'seasoned-steadfast' troop's,...and they were alway's 'Complaining' or 'Grumbling' about something [They were 'NEVER' happy!]. That's where the name 'Grognard' come's from,...COMPLAINERS/GRUMBLERS!.

SeaMonkey !:

Their last action was at 'Waterloo!'..., they bravely marched forward to fracture and obliterate the British lines, and then Wellington's troop's who were hidden behind the reverse slope's popped up all at once and then fired off volley after volley of gunfire into the Imperiale Guarde's ranks!.

Not only that, but i believe that Wellington also had a group acting as flanker's who also fired into the sides of the advancing Imperiale Guarde,...so these old fart's had to endure Flanking Fire as well as Reverse Slope Fire!. Yet they continued forth until all hope was lost, then eventually broke!. That's the last i have ever heard of them!.

Right about in that time period, the Prussian Army also made their appearance!. I forgot exactly how they factored into the final assualt!. Napoleone was watching the Prussian Army making it's arrival as he ordered the Imperiale Guarde Forward!.

[ October 08, 2006, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]