I was interested in probing the minds of all the great World War II buffs here and get your take on the best World War II films ever made. (Top 5 that you like all time.) I could list more, but figured that would be sufficient (for my curiosity.) I figure there must be movies out there, that someone would rate in their top 5, and I haven't seen. (There is alot I haven't seen or seen since I was young.)

How does this relate to SC2? Well when I was watching Battle of Britain, I started thinking about the game, and how the fighters battling over your own territory, should get some sort of bonus. But thats just an example.

So I'll throw out my list of movies. I won't include series, since you can do so much more with 10-20 hours than 2-3. (Otherwise Band of Brothers would be number 1.)

1-Saving Private Ryan (Obvious choice for all who have seen it.)

2-Enemy at the Gates (Has some great footage, and I just love the Cat & mouse game between the snipers.)

3-Schindler's List (Powerful film.)

4-The Pianist (another great piece based on a true story.)

5-Pearl Harbor (I know alot of people don't like the film because of the sappy love story, but I think it has some of the best naval footage for the attack on Pearl Harbor.)

...and if I was listing more...

6-Where Eagles Dare

7-Das Boot

8-U-571

9-Midway

10-The Dirty Dozen

I'm sure there will be some difference of opinion here, and thats what I'm curious about. Maybe I'll even do a tally of everyone's choices depending on the responses.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 5? Hmm--that's a tough one as there are quite a few quality WWII films. Though of all the ones I've seen, my five favorite may be (in no particular order):

1. Die Brücke

2. Idi i smotri

3. Das Boot

4. Stalingrad

5. Talvisota

There are so many that I've seen and enjoyed (I own far too many DVDs), so it's difficult to pick just 5--but there they are!

[ July 11, 2007, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: flintlock ]

Agree on most of them. Regarding Pearl Harbor, I'll always remember it as one of the best times I've ever had at a movie theater. Women crying all over the place, guys laughing, a couple of us getting up at different times thinking the movie was over -- but it wasn't! :D And when it finally ended one of the guys nearby said, "They must have run out of film." :D -- But I agree about the special effects, both naval and air, though I think Tora-Tora-Tora was a much better movie.

I'll add the HBO movie,

Conspiracy,

very aptly portraying the Wannsee Conference of early 1942. I particularly like the way the historical participants are presented, especially Bragnauh playing Heydrich and Tucci playing Eichmann.

Always a great thread to start, been discussed many times. If I only had 5 choices for the rest of my life, it would be these, based on being able to watch them again & again. Remember, I choose these based on the ability to watch them endlessly.

1) Stalag 17 --- This movie stands out on it's own. Absolutely love it. William Holden as Sgt. J.J. Sefton. I can watch it over, & over & over.

2) Patton --- Too many great one-lines keep me coming back for more.

3) The Longest Day --- Powerful cast. Badass Yanks!

4) Band of Brothers --- Well, there are a ton of episodes, so this might be cheating to pick based on number of hours of the show.

5) Young Lions --- Brando, Brando, Brando...Deano, Deano, Deano...Cliff, Cliff, Cliff.

6) Man in the Gray Flannel Suit --- Gregory Peck comes home from WW-2, trys to adjust. Has flashbacks from stabbing a young Bunta.

7) The Great Escape --- When I was 8, saw McQueen at his finest, tough to get that out of my mind.

8) The Eagle Has Landed --- LOL, when Larry Hagman (I Dream of Jennie & Dallas) gets plugged by "that German bitch".

9) Night of the Generals --- Story of a Bunta General who was killing whores during the war...then later at a reunion party of Buntas, he is found by his staff guy who delivers justice.

10) The Holocaust --- Came to regular TV in the early 80's I believe. Way to shocking to forget.

Terrific choices Brother Rambo.

-- Another I'd add is the 1945 B&W flick,

A Walk In The Sun

A very faithful adaptation of Harry Brown's short wartime novel about an infantry unit landing at Salerno and moving inland without an officer (he was killed on the Higgins Boat) to take a bridge guarded by farmhouse turned into a fortification.

A lot of really excellent acting from people like Lloyd Bridges and John Ireland, who would become famous later on, and all the equipment shown is the genuine article, including a German Mk II light tank.

Another classic made during WWII is

Sahara

with Bogart as an NCO commander of a Grant tank. I think it came out in 1943.

Above and Beyond,

About the Hiroshima bomb mission is also great.

I also like

A Bridge Too Far

About the Arnhem operation, but it doesn't seem to rate very highly with other people.

A Bridge Too Far

...it doesn't seem to rate very highly with other people.

Not sure why, it's a wonderful movie! After playing a round or two of Battlefront's Market Garden scenario, I had the urge to watch it again. I seem to enjoy it more each time I watch it.

@Sir Jersey --- Ah, dude, nice take with Bogey !!!!!!! Forgot about that one. As you see, I like those "story-lines". I'm still a sucker for the story & acting. Yeah, I like action, but you gotta give me more to watch it more than once.

Bride Too Far is alright. Best part is when the Buntas cross the Bridge for the first time & get waxed...charging in half-tracks. Movies which have "great violence" have burned me out of the years, I'm getting soft.

Allow me to add my "Favorite America Tourist Sites".

1) Graceland --- I'm an Elvis nut to this day. Elvis Presley is the king.

2) Disneyworld Orlando --- Put me on the Pirate's ride & take me to the Epcot Center food.

3) Master's Golf Tourney in Augusta, Georgia --- Something Holy about "Amen" corner & the greatest sporting even, EVER!

4) Little Round Top, Gettysburg, PA --- Just an hour away from Mom & Dad. History's turning point when we stopped that rebel trash cold!

5) My Lazy Boy chair --- Nothing like being home after travel smile.gif

"Kelly's Hero's" good fun, great cast.

"Come and See" Russian 1970's one of the best.

"Das Boot" well it's a great one.

"Bridge At Remagen" good stuff.

"Duck You Sucker" Mexican Revolution by Sergio Leone great stuff.! oops this one doesn't count as it's not WW2 so I can sneak another one in.

"The Bridge (Die Bruecke) (1959)" old German movie

about some young lads who try to hold a bridge near their town at wars end. Good stuff.

"The Young Lions" 1958 it's good had to put it on

the list.

"Cross Of Iron" gets my vote too!

That's 2 over 5 so I'll stop.

@SeaMonkey --- Dude, you can't bring in non-WW2 movies, so I have to now!

1) Sgt. York --- Alvin gets saved, then becomes a hero.

2) Deerhunter --- Too real, goto Pennsylvania & check it out.

3) Few Good Men --- WAY to classic. Should be #1, but I'm too lazy to cut & paste.

Saving Private Ryan: If WW2 vets say the battle scenes are as real as you can get on film, it gets my vote!

Band of Brothers

Das Boot , I'm an ex-submariner and I can attest to the realism having served on a diesel sub. They had it rough back then.

Bridge over River Kwai , has to be one of the best acting performances I have ever seen (Alec Guinness) . I thought I was looking at actual footage at times.

Why does everybody like Das Boat that much? Don't get the love for that flick.
Try watching the TV mini series version, it's much better, but very very very hard to get.

By far the best sub movie around.

Talking about sub movies, I also liked "The hunt for the red october" when I was a bit younger. smile.gif

Alot of good movies here. I'll have to check out Stalingrad & Cross of Iron. Don't think I've seen them. Haven't seen Letters From Iwo Jima yet. I wasn't that crazy about Flags of our Fathers (Thought it was okay.)

2 movies I'm curious about:

Thin Red Line. I didn't like the movie, but I know there are people who will rate it high. Just wondering why? (Maybe I just don't get the movie.)

A Midnight Clear. I wouldn't put this in my top 10, but are interested in what people think about this movie (its a strange & different WWII movie.) I did like it because of its oddness.

Maybe I'll start a quick post. Movies that are lame for sure.

LAME List:

1) Thin Red Line --- TERRIBLE.

2) Windtalkers --- Should be called Superman.

3) Fags of Our Fathers --- Quit dissin' Uncle Sam's propaganda...good grief, we had enough trouble winning the war against Japan & Germany. Drunken Ira Hayes can't blame Uncle Sam for everything, he needed to get saved & stay away from the Devil Juice.

4) Letters From Iwo Jima --- Don't care about the enemy's point of view. PLUS, I don't like to read sub-titles for 2.5 hours. If I want to read, I'll get a book.

OVERRATED:

1) Saving Private Ryan --- Sure, I'll catch flak here, but watched it once, that's all I need to know. I do like the sniper (Barry). Nothing like quoting bible verses & waxing Buntas. Tom Hanks just doesn't do that much for me in a military role.

2) Das Boat --- Man, this flick is flat out boring. Have given many tries.

1) Das Boot (Original Uncut Version)

2) The Bridge (Die Bruecke)

3) Band of Brothers

4) To End all Wars

5) A thin red Line

6) Schindlers List

7) The Pianist

8) Sophie Scholl - The Final Days

9) A Bridge to far

10) The longest day

Seeing as WW2 veterans said that the battle scenes in Saving Private Ryan is as close as you can get to the real thing I would never state that movie as overrated, simply out of respect for their statement.

The battle scenes themselves should be shown as part of every history lesson when it comes to WW2.