• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A Walk In The Sun" was on last night. I forgot how great of a movie that is.

Had the neat trick of not really showing you too much, because guess what? As a ground pounder, you couldn't really see much.

Sharp eyes would have noticed the Luftwaffe was flying P-51's however. What's a movie producer to do? All the Bf-109's were gone. Allies had P-38's.

Lars,

Exactly, you don't see anything the infantrymen can't see. smile.gif

The view of the Salerno beach head is a hill with noise and smoke coming from the other side. The German tank and armored car can be heard coming down the road but you don't see them till the they come into view for the soldiers. Great tension when they finally reach the farmhouse and are about to attack.

To me the whole movie rings true and it doesn't clobber the viewer on the head while doing it.

Hehe ;)

In some cases though it's annoying when they use the "wrong" tanks and planes.

But I guess the average viewer didn't notice it during those days.

Not like there was an abundance of media around on the subject like there is nowadays.

In 1945 there would be a number of 109's lying around. In 1969, the producers of Battle of Britain bought about 50 of them from the Spanish government. I am not sure when this film was shot, since it was released in December 1945. Maybe they were still fighting when this was filmed, making it somewhat difficult to obtain an enemy plane?

I suppose they could have come up with a genuine 100% German Bf109, but honestly, for one very short shot, why bother?

They did use gun footage of the evil strafing plane getting shot down. Unfortunately, it looked like a FW-190, at about 20,000 ft... ;)

Some great quotes from a drug war movie.

"Say hello to my little friend."

"I kill Communists for fun. But for a green-card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"You want to waste my time? OK. I call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer that by tomorrow morning you gonna be working in Alaska, so dress warm."

"You need people like me so that you can point your finger and say, 'That's the bad guy.' So what does that make you, good? You not good, you just know how to hide, how to lie. Me? I don't have that problem. Me? I always tell the truth - even when I lie. So say goodnight to the bad guy. It's the last time you're gonna see a bad guy like this."

"You want to go to war? I take you to war... We're gonna eat that Sosa for breakfast."

"I bury those cock-a-roaches."

"In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the woman"

Those combat scenes where very realistic. It was as close as I have come to having flashbacks when I first saw that movie.

I wasnt in WWII but I spent 5 years in Nam recieving 3 purple hearts there. Even though landing on a beach like that is way over the hill for me,I dont think I would have really been that brave. I have them bravery medals but I didnt do anything like land on one of those beaches. I have seen combat and that was almost real.

Originally posted by Timskorn:

Has anyone happened to see World War II: When Lions Roared? Looks like it was a mini-series from 1994 about the Tehran Conference? Michael Caine as Stalin, Bob Hoskins as Churchill and John Lithgow as FDR. Any good? Recommended?

I have it on DVD, did not like it too much but it's ok nothing more. Low budget.