Will the UK be able to build units in Canada now that it can trace a supply line to Washington?

Also, If the UK surrenders to the Axis can I write a scripted event that will have the the US annex Canada?

[ April 13, 2004, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Congrats, Hubert! Looks very cool.

The map is 4 times wider than the previous game and with editable terrain! Impressive. Will there be a Pacific campaign included? If not, is the map editable enough to be able to create a Japan?

In the Stalingrad map, next to the city is a German unit with two figures. The rifleman is kneeling to shoot, but the standing figure looks like a flame unit; is this an Engineer?

- Chris

At the moment there will be no *official* Pacific campaign included, but it would be more than possible to create a Pacific variant from the engine.

Basically all in game text will be moddable via a localization.txt file, so in this way countries/ units can be renamed to whatever you like, graphics can be modded, unit values edited, the map edited and after a little sweat, you can pretty much come up with any type of campaign variant you like smile.gif

Hubert

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

At the moment there will be no *official* Pacific campaign included, but it would be more than possible to create a Pacific variant from the engine.

Basically all in game text will be moddable via a localization.txt file, so in this way countries/ units can be renamed to whatever you like, graphics can be modded, unit values edited, the map edited and after a little sweat, you can pretty much come up with any type of campaign variant you like smile.gif

Hubert

Don't worry Hubert, I got ya guys covered on making a Pacific Theatre map :D

CvM

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

Hubert

This is what the wargaming-community wants so badly since SSI:s wargame construction set I and II.

Very good Hubert!

Will you have to pay to upgrade every individual unit?
That's the idea. Expect it to work something like a reinforcement where you get an ability to change tech level(s). Say you get a tech advance in Jets and L/R. Now you can upgrade your L0 AFs to L1 Jets, L1 L/R, or both. Costs will be different depending on what you select. Ditto for building new units. Even though you may have L3 in something, you should be able to choose L0, L1, L2 or L3.

I'm already seeing possibilities with this. Now it's possible to build cheap garrison units and keep them cheap, or upgrade them later as necessary. Take Russia. Early on you build a force of infantry units with L0 mech and slowly retreat. Later you can upgrade and shift to the offensive when you can afford to do so. This allows for a relatively inexpensive defensive force, and then a more expensive offensive force. The reverse applies for Germany on the retreat as they start building cheaper replacements. :cool:

Oh yes, now you can have "specialty" units to handle very specific tasks. :cool:

For instance, and likely one of my own favorites... put a research chit into "naval bombers" right away, say, if you are playing Italy.

Hope for some quick research discovery.

(... if you don't get it right away, that's all right, you can mix it up with the Desert Rats using your Infantry Weapons advantage... which you DID get... save those Amazing! new! torpedo bombers for later... l)

Build an AF or 2 that is maxxed out at whatever level you have achieved.

Presto Chango! :cool:

NOW, you have those Naval Bombers that can help you compete in the Med with the RN.

Or, as Bill has suggested, keep some of your achievements... secret!

Wait for that exactly right moment to spring!

On your unsuspecting Foe... the surprise of his war gaming Life! tongue.gif

The potential possible game variations are now damn near endless!

No longer will one person be able to dominate the field... EVERYONE will have a particular favorite GAMBIT or OOB to employ.

So, in this far, far better Realm... you might say something like:

"Hey, you gotta play So-and-so... you should just see his secret battle Ops and sudden surprise deployments! :eek:

Essentially, you have MANY new units, not MERELY those that are obviously included.

Heck, you could probably play around with the new! Engineer unit, or the Rockets and actually make them something else entirely.

Given that you CAN mod from here to Kingdom Come, no end to the possiblities!

Hubert deserves one hell of a long and sustained... standing applause! for allowing all of this! smile.gif

Bill, will there be a reduction in accumulated unit experience for upgrades that are applied(like reinforcements currently)?

If not, then do you think units should be immobile for a certain period of time to simulate training/familiarization with the new equipment?

Also will elite replacements be available at perhaps a greater cost to bring units up to strength without a significant loss in experience? This could be abstracted by allowing only a couple levels of increased strength without a greater MPP cost, but keeping the unit immobile for a certain time allotment to simulate the increased training period.

New production rules will allow for the option to set build and time delays for unit purchases. So yes, you may have to wait a while for your new units. How long? That can be edited.

As for experience and upgrades, we don't know yet. Maybe a fractional loss of experience proportional to the upgrade cost? I would expect something similar to experience loss with reinforcements.

Now, for "elite" replacements, hold on to your socks. Hubert's got some ideas about that. ;)

As originally posted by JP Wagner:

I hope there will be a FAQ on how to use the editor, as I'm sure that I will need all the damn help that I can get...

Me too.

I am no Dave van Gogh or very adept at using map-maker type tools, but this is one that makes it accessible and easily understood.

There are enough simple, easy to follow intructions in the SC2 Manual that Hubert and are putting together, that it becomes VERY natural and intuitive. :cool:

As originally posted by JP Wagner:

I hope there will be a FAQ on how to use the editor, as I'm sure that I will need all the damn help that I can get...

Me too.

I am no Dave van Gogh or very adept at using map-maker type tools, but this is one that makes it accessible and easily understood.

There are enough simple, easy to follow intructions in the SC2 Manual that Hubert and Bill are putting together, that it becomes VERY natural and intuitive. :cool:

Nor, at hitting the right buttons on the VERY EASILY understood interface. :eek:

First post left Bill's name off of there, and I heard about it in 0.0007 seconds!

But... it wasn't Bill who let me know about it, it was all of those who full well realize the tremendous amount of hard work Bill has put in on this project... a daunting task and he deserves immense credit, wait and see! :cool:

[ April 16, 2004, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Desert Dave ]

If we're going to have 3D graphics, how about getting each unit to face the nearest visible enemy units. i.e. German units facing West when attacking France and facing East when attacking the Soviet Union.

At the very least we should have West facing Soviet troops ;) .