ASL Interface conversion ready for release

This is a preliminary draft of version 1.0 of the ASL interface; anyone interested can visit the page below. It is not downloadable, since I am only emailing it to close personal friends for their private use. ;););) How lucky that I consider anyone with a BTS member number a close personal friend.

ASL conversion page

Thanks to the playtesters and to Ian Campbell for providing additional artwork which surpassed the quality of my own.

If I have left anyone out of the credits, please advise me.

Gents,

I've gotta give kudos on the dedication and work required here. Fantastic job on both the mods and the page! This is what the old SL/ASL snuffies have been waiting for! Me kowtows to Michael...

[Edited to include some screenshots taken at 1024x768 (reduced to 800x600) with (shameless plug) the 'Campbell Variant' of the command interface displayed in shot 3. Many, many more goodies courtesy of Michael within]

ianc

cmasl1.jpg

cmasl2.jpg

cmasl3.jpg

cmasl4.jpg

[ May 12, 2002, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: ianc ]

Folks, this conversion is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Michael has been working on this thing for probably a month and has done a masterful job. The flavor permeates CM, and yet nothing is overdone or thrown in "just because it can be", if you know what I mean: tasteful, nothing gaudy. If you're a fan of ASL, this thing is a must have.

All my personal friends - feel free to email me with your requests. I have broken the files down into 4 zips - I updated the webpage this morning to reflect this. 1 person I mailed the files to yesterday, it looks like some of it got bounced. If anyone has not received 4 files from me, feel free to contact me regarding the missing ones.

Great job. Impressive...most impressive. It reminds me of the days when I had to play SL alone because all my other friends found anything beyond Axis & Allies too taxing.

BTW, do you have the ASL module "Streets of Fire"? I think it make an excellent splash screen for your ASL-ization of CMBB.

[ May 12, 2002, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

Originally posted by Commissar:

BTW, do you have the ASL module "Streets of Fire"? I think it make an excellent splash screen for your ASL-ization of CMBB.

Absolutely. I actually like the boxtop of Cross of Iron the best of all of them, but SOF will make a good splash screen too. I actually used the cover of various General magazines (which were just the boxtop art reduced in size) since they fit on my scanner bed better.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

That is really nostalgic, nice work. Now can anyone mod some hexagonal grass?

Good grief, I never thought of that....would be hard to do with the overlays for road, tree bases, etc...

Someone want to run some tests? having fooled around with Clubfoot's beach tiles, I can tell you the grass tiles act kind of unpredictably in certain situations.

I don't mean green boards like ASL - Magua's Normandy grass would look okay with a hex grid; people use square gridded tiles, so why not hexes. It bears some investigation - would be neat for judging distances.

To be true SL hexes, they would have to be 40 metres hexes - it wouldn't be possible to do that with 20 metre tiles; but you could have small hexes per tile.

I had half heartedly considered an Intellivision mod set with all green grass tiles, making the men look like the Intellivision Running Man...but there is only so much you can do with 16 colours.

The Intellivision splash screen is something I might visit soon though....

BATTLEFRONT INC. presents

COMBAT MISSION

See here for Armor Battle - the true precursor to Combat Mission....

armor_screen.gif

[ May 12, 2002, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

All my personal friends - feel free to email me with your requests. I have broken the files down into 4 zips - I updated the webpage this morning to reflect this. 1 person I mailed the files to yesterday, it looks like some of it got bounced. If anyone has not received 4 files from me, feel free to contact me regarding the missing ones.

Dear very close and personal friend Michael,

Kindly send your dear very close and personal friend Willie (Stingray) a copy at:

willielapus@yahoo.com

Thanks and forever your pal,

Stingray

Absolutely beatiful!!! I never liked ASL, but I LOVED the original Squad Leader series that I still have as well. All those hours playing SL........ Could you send your awesome mod to me?? I'm at Teamski1@hotmail.com. Imagine if AH did things right and had the folks at Big Time develop the game for them instead of going with Atomic Games instead???? The ASL interface would be right on.... Awesome............

-Ski

Almost makes me feel like getting the old cardboard counters out but such memories fade quickly when I remember the cat took a leak in my counter box. And you thought the German cats were dangerous.

Please send me the your mod so I can reminisce without the odour. Cheers.