Is the Mod community shrinking?

Having looked through the CMMOS files, including the test files (however briefly), and then surfing some of the links (the ones at CMHQ and the CM webring are getting pretty outdated, as we all know), it occurs to me I can't find a set of German gun mods - 50mm PaK, 75, 88, 20mm, etc.

Can someone point me?

More importantly, are the number of large sites with diverse mods shrinking? I know there have been serious issues with paid and unpaid server space (believe me, I can relate). Tom's, Der Kessel, CMHQ, Combat-Missions I all know how to find, what other major mod sites am I missing?

Has the advent of CMMOS been a factor in this?

I am not talking about scenario sites - Panzerman, Admiral Keth, et al - just mod sites.

I think you are right, there only seems to be a few modders out there now and some new ones coming to the fore...I don't think I've found a German gun mod I'm happy with...Toms HQ German gun mods are okay but they aren't the ones I'm looking for!!

Also there seems to be no Jagdtiger mod apart from one of the old Mad-Matt packs of old ! :(

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rupert_2:

I think you are right, there only seems to be a few modders out there now and some new ones coming to the fore...I don't think I've found a German gun mod I'm happy with...Toms HQ German gun mods are okay but they aren't the ones I'm looking for!!

Also there seems to be no Jagdtiger mod apart from one of the old Mad-Matt packs of old ! :( I have a Jagdtiger mod titled Gunslinger that looks to be based on the Mad-Matt mod<hr></blockquote>

I must admit that the whole CMMOS thing has passed me by, after I spent months modding to get the game how I liked and setting up the batch files I didn't feel inclined to go with a whole new system for some marginal improvements. It's probably my loss.

It seems that there are a lot of works in progress by our fine modders, and hopefully we'll see them soon. Most of us are probably 90% satisfied with the way CMBO looks now, and are getting selective about which mods to apply, but we can never have too many.

BTW I really miss Manx's site :(

Talking to some, the CMMOS thing did indeed reduce mods, since many of the graphic artists who where also modders used their graphics systems, and CMMOS is not (or was not, may be know, I am not sure) cross platform. With more than 25% of CM players using Macintosh, and a much higher percentage of modders using that platform, CMMOS and other systems that are Windows only have effective torn a chunk from the mod community as a whole.

Luckily that will not always be the case. I see it as not so much a reduction, as a minor fragmentation.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

CMMOS and other systems that are Windows only have effective torn a chunk from the mod community as a whole.<hr></blockquote>

Not.

CMMOS doesn't DO MODs.

CMMOS doesn't do anything WITH your BMP.

Makjager is MODing on a Mac.

Of course it's unhealthy and all but he can still produce BMPs.

Then some fellow with a PC just do a RuleSet, which is JUST a text file telling CMMOS what to do with those Mac created BMPs following a naming convention that even a Linux Guru could explain under 1700 pages with TeX.

So all in all, you're wrong.

Mind you, Dorosh is right.

It IS shrinking.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PawBroon:

Not.

CMMOS doesn't DO MODs.

CMMOS doesn't do anything WITH your BMP.

Makjager is MODing on a Mac.

Of course it's unhealthy and all but he can still produce BMPs.

Then some fellow with a PC just do a RuleSet, which is JUST a text file telling CMMOS what to do with those Mac created BMPs following a naming convention that even a Linux Guru could explain under 1700 pages with TeX.

So all in all, you're wrong.

Mind you, Dorosh is right.

It IS shrinking.<hr></blockquote>

But, there is a fragmented demand, since the CMMOS requires a PC to operate, either to build the text definitions (unless it uses a simple scripting language that can be hacked on BBEdit) or to use as a switching mechanism.

Any division of a user space by capatibility issues will automatically reduce the breadth of that user space. MacOS users will not be able to access CMMOS mod packs, while CMMOS users on Windows will be less likely to use stand alone mods.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

MacOS users will not be able to access CMMOS mod packs.<hr></blockquote>

St Gordon help me.

Of course Mac users can access CMMOS MODs.

They could just NOT use CMMOS to apply the MODs on the fly.

I'm a Windows user and I don't use some of those.

For example, I like my AFV snowy.

Why would I install a AFV_Whitewash and AFV_Snow when I can simple RENAME the extansion to AFV.Bmp and be done with it?

There is a tremor in the Force but it wouldn't be because of OS.

I'm having no problem without CMMOS on my mac. Although I have the graphic resource "problem" I've got most things modded and I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.

As for the mod community shrinking, I think Michael is right about that but I don't see anymore half assed mods. Gordon puts a lot of effort and time into his mods, so basically the quality is getting better. It took a year for the Normandy mod to come onto our plates after the release of the game, and that was brilliant.

Now we've got Tom doing the Ardennes mod, and by the look of it, its going to make all of us play the winter battles a whole lot more.

Quality or quantity

Michael Dorosh said:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Having looked through the CMMOS files, including the test files (however briefly), and then surfing some of the links (the ones at CMHQ and the CM webring are getting pretty outdated, as we all know), it occurs to me I can't find a set of German gun mods - 50mm PaK, 75, 88, 20mm, etc.<hr></blockquote>

I have Tiger's original "dirty German guns" mod. Some folks thought they were TOO dirty so he released a "cleaner" version a few days later. But I really liked the original (they just look like they were under the oil smoke clouds in Kuwait) so have retained it. I don't think this version is still up at CMHQ but I can send it to you if you want. It's about 1.2megs

As to shrinking modder community, we might be looking at the law of diminishing returns here.

Initially, it was a gasp of relief to find replacement art for the original M8 Greyhound, for example. Now any new Greyhound mod will be just an incremental improvement over the last guy's mod. This reduces the incentive to devote the necessary effort into it.

Another issue is the looming CMBB release. We all love CMBO but I suspect the difference between CMBO and CMBB is going to be like comparing the Wright Brothers Biplane to a P51 Mustang! The mod community might be starting to get the feelng that they're backing the wrong horse with all their work on CMBO at this point in the game.

That being said, my own backdated Churchill mod has been posted on Tom's Combat Mission site for only a few weeks now, so maybe there's still life in the old CMBO dog yet.

From MadMatt's public statements, it sounds like all the polygons are being altered AND I thought i heard hints about time-sensitive skins (1941 grey / 1943 camou, etc.)... hough I may be wrong. It sounds like to reuse our old mods they'll have to be tweeked to fit and renamed in whatever the new naming convention is going to be.

There is plenty of life left in CMBO for the purpose of making mods...and i have already said in the past that even though CMBB will arrive i will continue to make mods for CMBO until i have finished the Axis forces to my liking :D

Real life has a nasty habit of catching up and getting in the way of CM :( , more's the shame

Re: CMMOS mods....i must remember to include a MAC read me ( if that is possible ) so as to better explain how to organise the files to a MAC users needs.

At first i was unsure about CMMOS...until i realised that in fact they are no different to any other mods except that they are more organised smile.gif

So..when ever i feel the need for a new Mod that is CMMOS compatible i just dl it , look at the .bmps...find the ones i need and then just use MCM3 to install em.

Re: Jagdtiger mods......once i get my KT mod up and running ( in the future ) i will see about splitting my time between the JT & KT as they aer similar vis a vis making new road wheels / rear bmp .

Regards

MÃ¥kjager

CMMOS has not had much impact in my mod using career on the Mac, matter of fact it has made it easier.

Most recent CMMOS compatible mod packs have been thoughtfully organized in folders (Andrew's Jeep, for example) which makes it easy for me to use the Mac Mod Manager to pick the .bmp's I need, but of course it's not as convenient as CMMOS.

I agree with MikeD's comments about diminishing returns. We're not likely to see mods that any real improvement on many of the current top-shelf mods and the caliber of the modders themselves is very very high now.

Sadly, we seem to have passed the "Golden Age" of modding when everyone felt comfortable in releasing mods as the state of the art wasn't so high and every new mod was fun to try out at least once.

That's the price we pay for the super high quality stuff we use now. ;)

Gyrene

St Gordon help me.

Why would I install a AFV_Whitewash and AFV_Snow when I can simple RENAME the extansion to AFV.Bmp and be done with it?

There is a tremor in the Force but it wouldn't be because of OS.<hr></blockquote>

Marcel,

Please, my oath of humility begs me to demure that I am only a lowly 24th level mod-cleric, and no saint.

That said, however, you are absolutely right in that at it's core, CMMOS is only a set of naming conventions to organize the options associated with particular mods and the rules to apply when selecting a particular BMP to be used "in-game". In the interim before a CMMOS-compatible program is available on the Mac, a Mac user should be able to select "their" BMPs from a CMMOS compatible mod much as they did with pre-CMMOS "batch file mods".

Obviously, the solution is to have the CMMOS-compatible program for Macs, but I haven't heard any status on that project lately (nor am I affiliated with it).

Gordon

St Gordon help me.

There is a tremor in the Force but it wouldn't be because of OS.<hr></blockquote>

This is an interesting style of writing? Are you composing a Haiku? tongue.gif

MajorVictory if it is a Hi-res Jagdtiger verison could you lead me in the right direction of it ? Please !! With Sugar on top... :D

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Rupert_2 ]<hr></blockquote>

http://www.afv-uk.net/cmoutpost/Terrain/Gunslinger/gunslinger.htm

it is a massive, MASSIVE download since it is buried inside a full replacement set.

see a pic at my site:

http://www.russellmz.20m.com/mymods.html

MajorVictory if it is a Hi-res Jagdtiger verison could you lead me in the right direction of it ? Please !! With Sugar on top... :D

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Rupert_2 ]<hr></blockquote>I seperated the bmps out from the mod pack. If you want them drop me a line and i will reply with a zipped folder attached. cheerios! :rolleyes:

I think, how many different mods of each type do the folks want to see or produce? Look at the uniform mods, how many Wehrmachts uniforms are already out now? Maybe some people are tired to do the 10th PzIV, or they are looking forward to CM:BB already.

About myself, I exchange my mods only if I find one that is really better then the one I had before. And I guess we are at a point were maybe more is produced, but not much that is significant better. I personally would lose motivation when I try to do a mod and see that it won't be better then another one that's already available.

Actually, my point was more regarding mods for stuff that used to exist, but now we can't find anywhere - ie German guns. I agree it appears that most if not all vehicles, textures, etc have been done at least once, and the point about diminishing returns is valid. But I sense a shrinking of the community in that some of the rare mods are not available at all anymore.

Who still has a Hotchkiss?