F... CDV

Of the many games that I own, very few have I actually purchased but I bought CMBO because it really was a groundbreaking game and the developers were not some large company who didnt care about the customer.

Anyways I'm starting to ramble

Sorry to jump in here but what does that mean? If you own many things but only have purchased a few of them, How did you come to own them? You either recieve a lot of gifts or something less than honest must be going on.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand Steve starting to feel that he can't win. When CM:BO was first released there was a lot of whining on Usenet about it not being available in the shops, people not being willing to use their credit cards on the internet, the length of time the game took to arrive in Europe/Australia/Canada etc. Every issue of the UK games magazines had letters from people saying 'Wow! Great Demo! Why can't I find it in the shops?'. Now that BFC have actually tried to negotitate a deal which gives customers in Europe, at least, better access to CMBB, without compromising too much on BFC's basic principles, all they get is earache from people who feel they have somehow sold out.

What was it Abe Lincoln said about pleasing the people?

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The UK had some glitches and therefore the release is delayed until October 1st.

Steve, I do understand and agree with your position. Even if I didn't I would not dream of offering, even tentatively, anything that could even remotely be construed as criticsm of it - its your business after all.

However, I am sorry, and I can understand if you get annoyed by more questions that are not directly related to making the game even better, but I just have to ask.

What are the differences in the game to be released in the UK from that elsewhere? What is it that could cause glitches, that cause CDV to demand a 3-4 week delay? Surely not those trivial changes which have been discussed here ad nauseum.

Sorry again.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The UK had some glitches and therefore the release is delayed until October 1st.

I would feel more confident about that if it was listed as such on the CDV website. I do hope this all works out, but it looks less than a perfect start. It all seems a little vague at the moment.

Originally posted by Fetchez la Vache:

In an attempt to put a happy face on it: all game release dates are vague. I'm amazed whenever one actually gets met...

Absolutely. What I mean by vague is that there still isn't a non-German release date listed on the CDV website. Either CDV are too lazy to update their pages, or..? :confused:

Like Micheal says,at least many of you don't have to deal with Canada Post or Canada Customs. Here in Canada lots of times we don't know if we're going to have to pay duty on when we order something or not ( it's kind of like a roulette wheel ). Then we have to wait 2 or 3 weeks while Canada Post delivers vital & important mail such as health club flyers, supermarket ads, etc. Meanwhile our parcel sits on some warehouse shelf waiting to be be discovered!! Seriously I've had stuff go on f**king world tour before I got it!

Canuck,

Interesting posts. I am willing to bet that you brak down and buy the game as soon as you can like most people will. If you are definatley not going to buy the game until the price drops considerably then why are you hanging around the boards? I'm not going to buy Wartcraft 3, so I dont hang around their boards. I am going to buy GIC so I do hang around their boards, same with CMBB.

Look forward to playing you in the future...

Pop

I'm assuming I'll get my copy around October 15th up here in Canada but its worth the wait. I'd even pay $100 dollars (Cdn.) for the game. I've never played a game for 2 years straight, except for CMBO. That is truly an amazing thing. I didn't even play multiplayer until pretty much May of this year. The AI kept me busy making bad habits for when I play human beings.Hopefully my money lines the pockets of the game makers (all BFC employees) because they all deserve some well-earned cash.

I wonder how many purchases have been made from just word of mouth. I've got 3 friends hooked and they are going to buy CMBB. Its easy for me to burn the disc and give away copies but it seems everybody loves supporting little companies and don't mind paying a little more for quality.

Cheers

Brett (product developer)

Hmmm... let's do a quick check of refferences here. Da Beginna... a student. Me... a business man in this biz for 9 years. Da Beginna... has school books with theories printed in them. Me... sales statistics directly applicable to the sales of CMBO and CMBB. Da Beginna... thinks nothing is improved by going with CDV. Me... thinks the exact opposite. Now, who should people believe?

-----------------------------------------------

Dear BTF.com,

making friends? Of course you have your sales stats and I have my books (plenty of them - believe me). If you think your stats make me happier - I don't think so. I have a certain perspective and it is shared by many other costumers out there. CDV made is possible that I can buy CMBO in the shops not only online. Great. Maybe this boost sales. Maybe it spoils my enthusiasm when I feel as a customer "second class" because I live in Europe.

I don't know because I'm a (stupid) student and haven't found anything in my books on this model of market segmentation. tongue.gif

Stupid student posts:

I like the product. I don't like you marketing.

Yup, Beginna, definetly baaaad baad marketing by BFC on letting CDV sell CMBO and CMBB.

Incidentally, here's the current topten of most sold games of one finnish game shop, PlayerOne. (including preorders):

1.Resident Evil (gamecube)

2.Mafia (pc)

3.Half-Life (pc)

4.Combat Mission 2: Barbarossa to Berlin (pc)

5.Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (ps2)

6.Combat Mission (pc)

7.Master of Orion III (pc)

8.Medieval: Total War (pc)

9.Colin Mcrae Rally 3.0 (ps2)

10.Tekken 4 (ps2)

Originally posted by Da Beginna:

Dear BTF.com,

making friends? Of course you have your sales stats and I have my books (plenty of them - believe me). If you think your stats make me happier - I don't think so. I have a certain perspective and it is shared by many other costumers out there. CDV made is possible that I can buy CMBO in the shops not only online. Great. Maybe this boost sales. Maybe it spoils my enthusiasm when I feel as a customer "second class" because I live in Europe.

I don't know because I'm a (stupid) student and haven't found anything in my books on this model of market segmentation. tongue.gif

Stupid student posts:

I like the product. I don't like you marketing.

Having taught a bit at Warwick Business School (ranked no.3 in the country), and having personally met a number of the people writing the textbooks, I know who I would trust more - a business student (post- or undergrad) or someone who makes a living out of it (Steve).

Originally posted by Da Beginna:

I feel a bit sorry that I'm born.

You should be.

Have you ever, kind of, thought, that you actually could be, how to put it, WRONG ?

I thought so. And if I should choose between you (student) and Steve (oldtimer), I wouldn't hesitate for one second. Sorry. tongue.gif

Now, preorder CMBB and be happy for ever after or shut up.

Originally posted by Prinz Eugen:

Have you ever, kind of, thought, that you actually could be, how to put it, WRONG ?

Ok, suck on these words for a while. Hmmm ... they taste good.

Now, preorder CMBB and be happy for ever after or shut up.

Ok, suck on these words for a while. Yeah ... they taste good too. No! Wait ... they taste like .... bitter irony.

Strange I have not yet found a single place where I can preorder CMBB here in Sweden. Marketing works in mysterious ways.

Lets taste those words again:

tongue.gif

Just to elaborate on Canuck's comments about CMBB pricing. Not only are us Canadians jerked around by Customs, when they hold up our packages by a couple of weeks, but then we have to go to the post office to pick it up - after getting little green card in the mailbox telling us that a parcel awaits. That can tack on a few extra days!

We then have to go to some corner store, shell out $5 to the Post Office for doing us this great favour, and then have to pay 8% Goods and Services tax on the wohole thing. I don't recall if we had to pay te additional 7% *Provincial Sales Tax as well the last time!?

So if the game ends up costing $80 but you can't blame BFC on this. I just wish they could make some arrangement with Amazon, since the main(US) store gets right around this crap when shipping to Canada (seems to be all fixed in the shipping - and gets delivered right to my mailbox!), and we now have an amazon.ca. Just a thought!

Regards

talking about CDV, I browsed through their forum yesterday (been there for the first time). People believe me: THANK GOD that you found your forum here. Oh what a collection of dimwits to be found there. Andreas, how you can post there without going insane is beyond me... tongue.gif

Originally posted by Lindan:

talking about CDV, I browsed through their forum yesterday (been there for the first time). People believe me: THANK GOD that you found your forum here. Oh what a collection of dimwits to be found there. Andreas, how you can post there without going insane is beyond me... tongue.gif

They are German, what do you expect? Apart from that I live by the old adage: surround yourself with really dim people, it makes you look even smarter than you already are.

BTW - it is not just me, it is also your mate Warphead who is posting there...

Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

Strange I have not yet found a single place where I can preorder CMBB here in Sweden. Marketing works in mysterious ways.

Well, I always thought Sweden was a 2nd class country. Atleast when compared to Finland, that is. Man, you're not even included in CMBB ! tongue.gif

(Don't get upset by this, mate !)

Maybe it'd be worth asking some businesses in there on whether they're going to import CMBB ?