Army in WW2 Green Book Series - FYI: New Info!

Originally posted by Pak40:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I just got the CD's today. A very nice set with ALL MAPS INCLUDED. Actually this is one good bargin from the US Government!

and the whole thing is just $23 ??? That's almost too good to believe.

.</font>

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I ordered it the day you posted this thread with no special mailing request, either. Could it be clean living?...LOL

I ordered mine the 4th. Hmm, since that was a holiday weekend, probably means I'll have to wait until Monday. Of course, since I live almost as far from DC as one can and still be in the contiguous 48, maybe that means Friday.

smile.gif

Michael

Originally posted by Agentorange:

...unless post is included...

It should be. At least for US addresses there was no s&h fee added on. I can't think why else they would charge more for out of country customers. I don't think we're that xenophobic...yet.

Michael

Received mine today. Fantastic! The intro material states that this is the first of a seven-part release in CD format. Thanks for the heads up on this series Frenchy; I don't know how long it would have taken me to have stumbled across this on my own, if I ever did.

Tried ordering online with a credit card and I kept getting "invalid credit card number." Tried two different credit cards, same result, so I finally had to order by phone (using a credit card!). Anyone else have this problem?

Ordered mine too. I love these books, and have used them in physical form for years. I took them out of the library. But so cheap, these are worth buying to have on the computer. One tip for those having trouble searching - put in "CD-ROM" in the search field and you will winnow the number of titles drastically. Much easier to find it that way.

In answer to some other's questions - yes these are the US army's official histories. There is a less detailed series of pamphlets on campaigns that is mostly division level stuff, but this is much better than those. These are the detailed narratives of the campaigns, down to battalion level coverage. With lower details for important fights. There is pretty good coverage of "the other side" as it is typically called, based on German HQ records. Also good maps. It is great stuff for CMBO scenarios and even better for anybody who wants to run an operational campaign. (Indeed, my own Bulge campaign running right now was inspired by passages in one of these).

[ July 12, 2002, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

Originally posted by scoop88:

Tried ordering online with a credit card and I kept getting "invalid credit card number." Tried two different credit cards, same result, so I finally had to order by phone (using a credit card!). Anyone else have this problem?

I had no problems at all when I placed my order on the Fourth. Haven't checked my mail yet today (was out early and I'm really whipped), so I don't know if it's arrived yet.

Michael

Well, the CDs arrived Saturday though I was only just able to get around to look at them. Haven't examined the text yet but the maps are great! They look a little fuzzy on the screen, especially at high magnification, but I printed one out as a sample and even on cheap paper and with no special enhancements it came out looking pretty good. Next I'll try for a higher quality reproduction. The originals looked like they came off of US Mint engravings they were so sharp.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Frenchy. It's a really cool score.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Michael

I've just sent an email to CMH asking if the entire 7 CD set will include all volumes of the Green Book Series. As soon as I receive an answer I'll let everyone know. I suspect they will and if you want to see what may be on the remaining CDs go here:

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/catalog/WWII-Pubs.htm

I just received mine today and this is an absolute goldmine for the cost! If you were to buy each book in the first set you'd be forking out over $600.

Originally posted by Frenchy:

I've just sent an email to CMH asking if the entire 7 CD set will include all volumes of the Green Book Series. As soon as I receive an answer I'll let everyone know. I suspect they will and if you want to see what may be on the remaining CDs go here:

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/catalog/WWII-Pubs.htm

Just got mine in the mail today! I havn't looked at them yet.

Yes, please let us know about the other 7 volumes!!!

Originally posted by JasonC:

(Indeed, my own Bulge campaign running right now was inspired by passages in one of these).

Jason, is your campaign over at the Scenario Depot? If so, what's the name? If not, need any testers? If not, could you send it my way?

I will order the CD set for work. I've been reading Battle of the Bulge online. It looks nice and boring and work-like to passers-by, but it leaves a nasty internet trail for the system administrator net nanny police. The stealth CD should fix that.

Thanks, GPO.

New Information just recived from CMH. Here's the scoop on the CD set:

Yes, the seven multi-disc CDs will contain all of the 79 "Green Books" (the titles in the United States Army in World War II series). (They will also contain , on Set 3, the 40 commemorative campaign and topical pamphlets CMH did for the 50th Anniversary.) Set 2 has now gone to GPO for mastering and production--we should see it in September.

John Elsberg

Editor in Chief, CMH

cool! very bad i´m out of money now (i wasted it all in other things, including games smile.gif and a bunch of WWII books and material)

probably i will wait until september and i will get it all (within CMBB smile.gif