Pz VI .VS. Hut

So I'm playing the Wittman in the East scenario. (You know you suck when...), and I decide to advance 2 VIEs on the right thru a tiny village. (the Huts)

Now the VIEs are huge, they're easily as big as these tiny huts. So do they drive into the huts rendering them into match sticks?!?!?Noooooo...they have to do the crazy chicken trying to fit inbetween them instead. So what gives...why don't these steel goliaths simply 'roll on over'? Which brings another question...in WWII (and not including Kelly's Heroes), how often did tanks go smashing though buildings?

Actually, this has come up and basically a tank trying to drive through a house was likely to fall into the basement, throw a track or suffer other mechanical problems.

Maybe there's no basement in a hut, but from my reading on this forum, I gather that tanks driving through houses was not a great idea.

In WWII you could drive your tank over as many huts as you wanted...if you didn't mind throwing tracks all the time. I've heard of cases where tanks were used to collapse exterior walls of structures, but actually driving through rubble of a collapsed building would be asking for an immobilization.

One thing you might check is what visual scale (SHIFT + C) your units are displaying at. If the scale is set above realistic, your tanks will appear larger than they actually are. At realistic scale, they probably won't dwarf those huts.

There is reference to this in one of the GD illustrated histories. The manuals instructed tanks NOT to be used as bulldozers, since it could cause damage to such things as gun optics and other important equipment - throwing tracks has been mentioned.

In action, you did what you thought you had to do of course. A small hut wouldn't present as much of an obstacle - but there was still the problem of jamming the driver's periscope with debris, and having to stop the tank to manually clear the obstruction - a tank driver can barely see as it is without a chunk of roof in front of his periscope...

While reading "Sergeant in the Snow" I saw many references to isbas, which are small peasant shacks. Can anyone post a picture of what these looked like? How big were they and how were they constructed?

I found a picture. See the last one on this page: http://www.gri.it/gallery/piechi/ I don't think I would want to drive a tank through that.

[ October 22, 2002, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

A small hut wouldn't present as much of an obstacle - but there was still the problem of jamming the driver's periscope with debris, and having to stop the tank to manually clear the obstruction - a tank driver can barely see as it is without a chunk of roof in front of his periscope...

Ahhhh...I see...or maybe peperoni and cheese smile.gif

I can understand why this wouldn't e a common event.

Thanks for the info.

[ October 23, 2002, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: JadamoW ]

Originally posted by Bartokomus:

"I read it as Topic: Pizza Hut. Can a Tiger go to a drive thru Pizza Hut?"

More importantly, how long for a Tiger to deliver FROM Pizza Hut?

:D

I'd buy a pizza if they delivered with Tigers. Cold or not.

Just read this is SOLDAT by Siegfried Knappe - the peasant huts he encountered in Russia were small and flimsy,

however, the centrepiece of these one room shacks were large brick ovens - they had a brick surface on top that stored heat during the day, and during the night, the family would sleep on top of this warm brick stove. It would present a fairly substantial obstacle to a vehicle attempting to run through the shack, I would presume.

There have been many stories of tanks backing into a house for cover...and many pictures to back the stories up. Tanks just don't go driving into a house at whim, the tank commander would be supported by infantry who would check out the house for dangers like cellers etc. Houses make up of wood and bricks are nothing a tank can't handle when backing in slowly.

I suspect driving into/through a house would require at least some recon first, to check out the placement of the rubble at least. Doesn't sound like a spur-of-the-moment event (though I've heard some grizzly tales in this regard involving drunken U.S. tankers in Vietnam).

I'm reminded of the anecdote in "Pershing" by Hunnicutt. A Tiger knocks out a Pershing as it stands back-lit against a fire at night. The Tiger tries to back away but gets hung-up in building rubble and has to be abandoned. That sounds like an expensive mistake.

Originally posted by Nick Hyle:

I think there is a reason that the accounts of using a building as an ambush blind tend to refer to barns - no basement, flimsy walls - more often than houses.

And barns usually have doors large enough to permit a vehicle to drive in without smashing through the walls.

Michael

I don't know if I agree that hey have huge doors on them, though I am no expert on Russian architecture. It seems to me that combines and giant harvesters are decidedy postwar. The barns I've seen in period photos of France, for example, have very small doors - big enough for a horse and cart. Some of the buildings in local "heritage parks" here in Canada also have barns with small doors and windows...