My pbem opponent is whining. Does he have a legitimate gripe?

In the scenario I have a King Tiger (never used one before). In one turn the KT moved Fast Forward about 70m , managed to avoid damage from two aircraft dropping bombs 3 near misses (craters within 10 meters), went another 20 or 30m on Hunt. As it moved, the turret rotated across about 150 degrees. The KT then fired one shot at a HT = hit/kill at 100m and then the turret rotated back another 20 degrees or maybe 30 and took out a kangaroo with a second shot at about 120m. The turret then rotated in the same direction another 20 degrees or so and is aimed at more of my opponent's armor as the 60 seconds were reached.

I believe the crew is Elite. Anyway the longest it has ever paused before following an order is

3 seconds.

So, am I lucky? Is this the usual expectation when playing with an Elite KT ? I normally play vanilla. Not hot fudge with cherries and whipped cream.

I told him I would ask.

Curious and smiling Toad

I broke out my CM book and looked up the experience section. It doesn't really say much about the Elite units, but I do know that they have faster reloading times, better accuracy, and they tend to fight better overall. If you ever play the Villers-Bocage scenario try the German side. Michael Wittman is an Elite German Tiger commander in that historical scenario, I've kicked major Brit A$$ in that scenario. I don't think that your turret traverse is going to be any faster just because the unit is Elite, but I could be wrong.

The traverse time should remain constant regards of experience - unless Elite crews hot wire the turret motors a la Home Improvement :D

Your big bonus is your spotting rate, time to lay on target, reload times etc. Three rounds seems OK to me.

BTW it is the right of all oppenents to whine and bemoan their oppenent during a battle. See pg 52 of the manual for details ;)

In a 60-second turn the rotation of the King Tiger turret of 150 degrees, give or take few, is about right.

In one scenario, my KT was squared off against a 76mm M4 with the turret facing absolutely the wrong way. Because of an obstruction, it began turning the long way to its opponent. The M-4 bounced 4 shots off the frontal armor before killing the KT.

The short of this story is that in the 60 seconds, the KT turret rotated just over a third of the way ... about 150 degrees, give or take. And an elite crew can get 2 shots off in a minute.

In short, the answer to your question is: No.

Tell him to quit complaining and get back to losing all his AFVs.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lars:

Mars has smiled upon you, enjoy it while you can.

You'll be back to whining yourself soon enough!<hr></blockquote>

Louie, you never mentioned you were tangling with a Cesspudlian. In that case, whining is completely acceptable and expected ... but watch your back.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]</p>

Anyone facing an elite King Tiger has a legitimate gripe. "Why me?" Anyone who kills an elite King Tiger may legitimately croon. "I'm the greatest!" Anyone who has an elite King Tiger has legitimate cause to feel himself an unworthy favorite son of fortune. "What did I ever do to deserve this?" Anyone who loses an elite King Tiger has legitimate cause for shame. "How the heck did I mess this one up"?

The short answer is, no. He is a huge wuss and should be called out as such. Then, in later games when he gets the KT or Super Pershing, you should deny all knowledge of your earlier discussion of the performance of the KT in your hands and point out that he is a centre-hugging gamey SOB.

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Goanna ]</p>

Tell your opponent to shut up. NOBODY likes to lose, but it happens. Bad luck happens in life just as it does in CM. I count on bad luck happening to me in games. I find if I count on luck in certain situations I lose. I don't even think luck was involved with your situation, that is one bad ass tank you have there. I can't stand it when opponents piss and moan about a turn not going their way, or even worse when they just quit on you only to be never heard from again. I don't like to lose just as much as the next guy, but I'll never resort to pissing and moaning about it. In addition, every loss I've suffered I've learned a very valuable lesson that I never forget. You don't become a better player from winning, you get better by taking your lumps.

Petrovsky,

Excellently put & quite correct.

We all learn from winning, but especially from losing. I'll whine (cabernet cauvignon or chardonney) a bit when I come across a human made scenario & they get uber cats & I am not given something to easily take them out, like tungsten. :eek:

But I'll carry on & have my Greyhounds bite the bogie wheels of those uber monsters. I'll be more inventive & ultimately a better player this way. tongue.gif

Also, go to the Band Of Brothers web site & join. You will enjoy. You have the right attitude. :D:D

Happy New Year & Cheers to All, Richard :cool: :cool: :cool:

Well as it turned out that was pretty much his last gasp. My KT ended up immobilized by aircraft but located across his axis of attack so he was s.o.l.. I did get to see the KT use its hand grenade thrower capability at close range to knock out two more halftracks while the main gun took on infantry at longer range.

I won.

Satisfied Toad.

Hi Toad,

Regarding firing frquency for tanks, I can mention that I have during my military career been in a Leopard 1A4 sqadron.

The 1A4 had a manual system for measuring distances, and the gun was manually loaded. Even though 3 target were hit between 800 and 1500 meters from a stationary Leopard within 10 seconds. 2 Targets from a moving KT is not unrealistic, even though the gun for most WWII tanks was not gyrostabilized (I don't know if the KT's were)