How I will play CMBB

I enjoy CM for the tactical level fighting more so than the historical aspects (sorry BTS) so I will be playing the game like an American just using different equipment. If I can find out the meaning of the .wav files then I will replace them with the English equivalents. I will also seek out mods to replace Russian symbology on the tanks with American symbology and mods to replace the Russian uniforms with American ones. I will also only play in the latter part of the war where the equipment you get will be better. I will continue to fight the krauts as the allies. I will probably not ever use the banzai human wave crap that the Russians employed (if the game was really realistic then you would see Russian command units hanging back and shooting their own men when they turn tail). The game system has been vastly improved and I want to play it but have no real interest in the East front part of WWII, for me, it is the tactical engagements and possibilities that I enjoy. smile.gif

[ September 11, 2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Commander ]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Commander:

... it is the tactical engagements and possibilities that I enjoy. smile.gif

If so, then why do you have to change all that stuff??? Okay, maybe you want the language in english so you can understand when your troops yell "Ow! My leg!", but why do you have to mod away all the other stuff? From a tactical standpoint, it doesn't matter what color your tanks are painted, or what type of uniforms your troops wear. The uniforms and symbology are irrelevant.

And why can't you learn to use the early war equipment just as well as the equipment available later in the war? Everything has its strengths and weaknesses. The most skilled opponents are the ones who can best utilize whatever they are handed.

If you want tactical challenge, I'd suggest all types of battles (Meeting Engagements, Probe, Attack, Assault, attack and defend), random time frame, random weather, random terrain, and computer pick forces. Then you'll see what you're made of. Are you a skilled tactical adversary who can make a silk purse out of conscript troops and early war equipment, or just a cherry-picking noob who has to have bigger, better, faster 'splody things...

I liked the clown tanks. But no Charles has taken them away from me. :(

My life is meaningless...

The funniest time was when all Soviet soldiers were clown-soldiers too.

All gone...

[cue Blade Runner Rutger Hauer voice]I have seen clown T-34 tanks burning before the shoulders of Mamajew Kurgan[/cue]

You are correct regarding the mods. The way they look doesn't matter (right!) smile.gif

Tactically, playing the early Russians makes me feel like someone handed me a broom and told me to go kill that kraut tank coming down the steppe.

I like a challenge as much as the next guy but see no purpose in playing a losing situation. :D

Originally posted by Commander:

I like a challenge as much as the next guy but see no purpose in playing a losing situation. :D

Except, oh, I don't know, maybe to keep the BLOODY HUNS FROM OVER-RUNNING THE <big>MOTHERLAND</big> and enslaving or killing your women and children?!?!?

Originally posted by Leeo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Commander:

Except, oh, I don't know, maybe to keep the BLOODY HUNS FROM OVER-RUNNING THE <big>MOTHERLAND</big> and enslaving or killing your women and children?!?!?</font>

Originally posted by THumpre:

I figure CMBB will be about the same. smile.gif

Another nimrod that can't see that CMBB has many improvements over CMBO. :rolleyes: CMBB has a new Play By Osmosis feature that was absent from CMBO. PBO will take the gaming community by storm! Another reason I can't wait for the full version. smile.gif

Originally posted by Andreas:

[cue Blade Runner Rutger Hauer voice]I have seen clown T-34 tanks burning before the shoulders of Mamajew Kurgan[/cue]

Damn, now I have to dig out that old video again smile.gif

One of my "old" favourites..

M.

[ September 11, 2002, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Mattias ]

Originally posted by Mattias:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

Damn, now I have to dig out that old video again smile.gif

One of my "old" favourites..

M.</font>

Back to the Topic at Hand

(Despite my Love for "Blade Runner")

in Playing CM:BO I almost always played the Amies/Allies

because I favored that side

While in CM:BB, because have no "emotional attachment" to either side

I can better enjoy those "Tactical Possibilities" that are offered by playing both Axis & Allies

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

How I will play CMBB

I will probably play CMBB much like I play CMBO;

usually in my underwear, drunk, with a liberal dusting of Cheeze Doodle shrapnel covering my stomach. Sad...so very, very sad...

You wear underwear when your playing CMBO? Weirdo!

Reading Commander's original post I see a slight gap in his logic. He says "I'm more into the tactical level fighting more than the historical aspects" and then he proceeds to list all the sounds and uniforms he's going to change. If you have no interest in the historical aspects then why alter the files at all? What's the difference then?

Why change over to U.S. uniforms, why not put everyone into... business suits, or costumes from The Wizard of Oz? That would certainly cleanse the game of any of all that unsightly historical accuracy.

Originally posted by Poobear:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

How I will play CMBB

I will probably play CMBB much like I play CMBO;

usually in my underwear, drunk, with a liberal dusting of Cheeze Doodle shrapnel covering my stomach. Sad...so very, very sad...

You wear underwear when your playing CMBO? Weirdo!</font>

Originally posted by flamingknives:

C'mon Modders! We need clown tanks!

Green on the left facing plates, red on the right, blue on top and yellow to the fore (am I right? I can't quite recall...)

Quite. Don't forget that one could also mod a little honking horn sound, when the main gun is fired.

Now I don't really give a rat's behind about convincing you to see the light, but I will use the example of the Yelnia demo scenario to gently point out a fallacy in your line of thinking. However much or little you find in this post, I hope you enjoy the game in whatever manner you find it worthwhile.

While the later equipment may have the feeling of greather effectiveness and lethality to it, I have the sense that we are going to be able to gain a big portion of appreciation for the abilities of the early equipment.

The early portion of the war does not necessarily mean the soviets will always get the bloody nose. At the CM scale, the proper use of units and tactics can certainly bring a local victory for the allies, even if the greater trend of the campaign was towards initial German victory.

Yelnia is but one of any number of small reverses, counter-attacks, or attacks where a good player will be able to make the best use of his resources and ability to create a victory. They may not be immediately familiar, but I am absolutely certain a vast flood of scenarios covering previously obscure battles that will provide ample opportunity for soviet victory in 1941. Additionally, as much as American victories in CM:BO are not automatic by any means in 1945 scenarios, neither will be the soviets.

My personal experience with one type of new unit is the feeling that playing conscripts was like herding cats, but when I get good at herding cats, I will have a far more effective force to use. I think the new system will reward solid play and practice while punishing harshly mistakes and foolish inexperiences. Much like the real battlefield, which while not perfect, CM:BB does seem like a solid step towards games effectively presenting this history with accuracy. It's are real bonus that BFC has managed to present this in an entertaining and interesting package it remains a fun game to play.

So regardless of the time period, the tactical challenge will remain the same as the tools for victory will be available if sometimes hidden by what seems like the uber-units of the other side.

In conclusion, if you want to mod the game to have the Germans fight squads of Nancy Sinatras singing 'These Boots were Made for Walking", knock your bad self out. I would hope that exposure to the game will foster an interest in the GPW and you will be able to gain even more from the experience than just shuffling units across the screen. If only for the fact that broadening your knowledge and horizons is always a good thing.

Except for perhaps heroin. You can learn pretty much all you need from the experiences of others I suppose. :D

BDH

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by THumpre:

I figure CMBB will be about the same. smile.gif

Another nimrod that can't see that CMBB has many improvements over CMBO. :rolleyes: CMBB has a new Play By Osmosis feature that was absent from CMBO. PBO will take the gaming community by storm! Another reason I can't wait for the full version. smile.gif </font>

Originally posted by barrold713:

Now I don't really give a rat's behind about convincing you to see the light, but I will use the example of the Yelnia demo scenario to gently point out a fallacy in your line of thinking. However much or little you find in this post, I hope you enjoy the game in whatever manner you find it worthwhile.

While the later equipment may have the feeling of greather effectiveness and lethality to it, I have the sense that we are going to be able to gain a big portion of appreciation for the abilities of the early equipment.

The early portion of the war does not necessarily mean the soviets will always get the bloody nose. At the CM scale, the proper use of units and tactics can certainly bring a local victory for the allies, even if the greater trend of the campaign was towards initial German victory.

Yelnia is but one of any number of small reverses, counter-attacks, or attacks where a good player will be able to make the best use of his resources and ability to create a victory. They may not be immediately familiar, but I am absolutely certain a vast flood of scenarios covering previously obscure battles that will provide ample opportunity for soviet victory in 1941. Additionally, as much as American victories in CM:BO are not automatic by any means in 1945 scenarios, neither will be the soviets.

My personal experience with one type of new unit is the feeling that playing conscripts was like herding cats, but when I get good at herding cats, I will have a far more effective force to use. I think the new system will reward solid play and practice while punishing harshly mistakes and foolish inexperiences. Much like the real battlefield, which while not perfect, CM:BB does seem like a solid step towards games effectively presenting this history with accuracy. It's are real bonus that BFC has managed to present this in an entertaining and interesting package it remains a fun game to play.

So regardless of the time period, the tactical challenge will remain the same as the tools for victory will be available if sometimes hidden by what seems like the uber-units of the other side.

In conclusion, if you want to mod the game to have the Germans fight squads of Nancy Sinatras singing 'These Boots were Made for Walking", knock your bad self out. I would hope that exposure to the game will foster an interest in the GPW and you will be able to gain even more from the experience than just shuffling units across the screen. If only for the fact that broadening your knowledge and horizons is always a good thing.

Except for perhaps heroin. You can learn pretty much all you need from the experiences of others I suppose. :D

BDH

Yes, yes, yes, all quite interesting, I'm sure, but what does this have to do with Clown Tanks???