Were is Barbarossa?

Lane

Lane,

No. FYI...

FREDERICK I BARBAROSSA

In 1152 Frederick I Barbarossa ('Red Beard') became Holy Roman Emperor, and reigned until 1190. His reign was dominated by struggles with the German nobility and the papacy. He mounted a series of campaigns in Italy to capture lands from the pope, and succeeded in capturing Rome in 1167.

According to legend, Barbarossa is not dead but merely sleeping, and will one day wake up to save Germany from disaster.

[ September 03, 2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

Originally posted by Frenchy:

Lane,

No. FYI...

FREDERICK I BARBAROSSA

In 1152 Frederick I Barbarossa ('Red Beard') became Holy Roman Emperor, and reigned until 1190. His reign was dominated by struggles with the German nobility and the papacy. He mounted a series of campaigns in Italy to capture lands from the pope, and succeeded in capturing Rome in 1167.

According to legend, Barbarossa is not dead but merely sleeping, and will one day wake up to save Germany from disaster.

He did die, by drowning in a river in turkey, which I am forgetting the name of. I stopped by there in my travels in that land. It was an interesting site, and the memorial marker has several .38 bullet holes in it.

As an interesting side note, our germans wept while our turks laughed.

WWB

Originally posted by Monty's Double:

And for a bonus point, where's Stalingrad? You won't find it on modern maps, so what's it called now? My wife's recipe for wild mushroom risotto to the first with the right answer.

It's now called Volgograd, but it used to be called Tsaritsyn.

I s'pose we all know the old joke about a Soviet citizen being asked questions by a government census-taker:

In what city were you born?

-- St. Petersburg.

In what city were you married?

-- Petrograd.

In what city do you live now?

-- Leningrad.

In what city would you like to live?

-- St.Petersburg.

At least the chap in the joke got his wish in the end.

All the best,

John.

Edit - ugh.. slow to post.

Stalingrad is now Volgograd.

Leningrad is back to Saint Petersburg.

And hundreds of little towns have changed names since the Great Patriotic War - for reasons unknown (the obvious ones to excise Communist history at certain points).

[ September 03, 2002, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Originally posted by John D Salt:

It's now called Volgograd, but it used to be called Tsaritsyn.

I s'pose we all know the old joke about a Soviet citizen being asked questions by a government census-taker:

In what city were you born?

-- St. Petersburg.

In what city were you married?

-- Petrograd.

In what city do you live now?

-- Leningrad.

In what city would you like to live?

-- St.Petersburg.

At least the chap in the joke got his wish in the end.

Why? Did he retire to Florida?

Originally posted by Lane:

I guess this is one of the dumbest questions

ask to today smile.gif

I dont have many WW2 maps is Barbarossa a city

in Russia?

Thanks for any info smile.gif

Lane

Notice the low member number everyone....this should take care of the aristocracy and imagined clout of having a low member number.

Don't feel bad Lane, alot of people over look the Eastern Front, for the other fronts.

Berlin is really a typo from the bowls of the BTS marketing department. You see, CMBB was originally called, 'Barbarossa to Merlin' after the magical wizard who saved the Russian from defeat at the city of Stalingrad aka Volgograd.

Merlin was citied many times as the infamous, but little known, factor of influence that he was, over the period of 1941 to 1945.

He smote a dark cloud of disaster over the city of Stalingrad, thus destroying the 6th army, and turning the war for the Russians.

As such, BTS was preparing to give the wizard his long awaited justice by titling the game after his feats of heroism against the Nazi power (for example: in many cases, in William Sherear's (sp) 'Rise and Fall of the Third Reich' the wizard had been mentioned, specifically in connection to his numerous testimonies at Nuremburg. However, fearing financial ruin, Sherear's publisher replaced the name 'Merlin', with the name 'Chukov'. As such, in a massive historical error, it was citied that Chukov died of drowning due to falling into a river while drunk, when in fact, it was non other then the wizard Merlin. Suffice to say, Merlin survived that incident, where as Chukov, drunk, was ran over by a rampaging T34 several hours prior).

Anyway: as Moon was typing away at the title, he came under s sudden realization: His keyboard's 'M' key was not in working order, having been stuck by the coffee spilt earlier that day.

To save the labor of fixing the key, the game's name was changed to 'Berlin'

Hope that helps.

[ September 03, 2002, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Lord General MB ]

hmmm,what is wrong with a low member number?

Means you are a well respected and veteran CM player.

besides Gay-lord I really dont like that sig of yours,it has a tendency to embarrass people from a certain country :rolleyes:

Me for instance

I rather would like to see you remove that sig.

Very friendly asked for now.