Wild Bill's Rumblings of War [Part IV], aka RoW

I think the key with an unbalanced scenario is for the player with the weaker side to have an interesting tactical problem.

I may have had a double issue in Nordic Wannabee, inheriting some bad positions and also getting what (I think?) were the weaker forces in 4 out of 5 games, so I was behind the eight-ball from the start most of the time. Still, it was a lot of fun. I'm not complaining!

;)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

I think the key with an unbalanced scenario is for the player with the weaker side to have an interesting tactical problem.

I may have had a double issue in Nordic Wannabee, inheriting some bad positions and also getting what (I think?) were the weaker forces in 4 out of 5 games, so I was behind the eight-ball from the start most of the time. Still, it was a lot of fun. I'm not complaining!

;)

Just out of curiosity - in how many of these 4 games did you think that the tactical problems were interesting? To put it another way, how many tactically boring games did you play?

I've been processing AARs today. Listed below are the number of AARs I've received from each player. If your name is not on the list I have no AARs from you. Look the list over in case I've lost one or more of your AARs. Thanks!

Juha Ahoniemi-1

Kingfish-5

Tom-3

W. Moore-2

CapitalistDog-6

T. Zalewski-7 (half credit)

Enoch-7

Holien-7

J. Sowden-7

Jukka Pekka-7

J. Kettler-7

L. Dickens-7

W. Miron-7

G. Redeker-7

C. Rohde-7

P. Svensson-7

T. Travisano-7

Edit: I mistakenly gave Tabpub credit for 3 AARs that belonged to Tom in section II. The error has been corrected.

[ March 21, 2002, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Originally posted by Nabla:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CombinedArms:

;)

Just out of curiosity - in how many of these 4 games did you think that the tactical problems were interesting? To put it another way, how many tactically boring games did you play?</font>

Wild Bill has sent me a scenario for the finals! I haven't played it, but I looked it over in the editor. Quick and nasty!! It could go either way as near as I can tell.

The other two scenarios will be my creations. Now don't be too disappointed. Wild Bill has other projects that require his time. My scenarios will be challenging, albeit a little slow getting to the fireworks perhaps. I like 'em that way on occasion. As for balance, well, I really can't tell how they will play out. Maybe that means they're fairly balanced, eh?

Remember, in the finals, you can earn a maximum of three points, one for each scenario. How do you get the precious point? You must score higher than the one other person who plays that scenario from the same side you do. If he scores 68 points and you score 67 you get ZERO points for that scenario. It's very competitive! BTW, disputed VL points will be split to bring the total to 100.

You want to always think about your score while playing. You don't want to press on with an attack if you don't think you have a fairly good chance of increasing your final score by doing so. Then again, you don't want to be too timid either. When you think your score is as high as you can get it you should go on the defensive or offer a ceasefire. At least that's how I see it.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

How are we doing on that last game?

Treeburst155 out.

Just sent out my half of 28. I had a miniature convention to attend this weekend, so I was off-line. Should be done tommorrow(ideally)or Wed.

BTW, Treeburst, which AAR's do I owe you?

Thanks, Tabpub!

We're almost there guys! It's time to set a firm deadline on AARS.

ALL AARs must be in my mailbox no later than NOON(GMT -6) on Friday, March 22nd.

I will prepare the final input files for the scoring program at that time. I will be posting all the input for players to verify before I post the final results sometime on Saturday. The finalists' scenarios will go out shortly thereafter. It's gonna be a big weekend for me. smile.gif

EDIT: Actually TabPub, I don't have any AARs from you yet.

Treeburst155 out.

[ March 19, 2002, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Treeburst,

I have 3 outstanding results (I know one is still being fought) in my MSExcel97 spreadsheet:

1) Davidson vs Gaspari [Kommerscheidt]

2) Pixelmaster vs Scot Johnson [sounds]

3) Warren Miron vs Pixelmaster [Kommerscheidt]

Which 2 battles have produced results?

Regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

-----------------------

"Sparkling Muscatel. One of the finest wines of Idaho!"

-- waiter in The Muppet Movie (1979)

The scenarios for the Wild Bill Finals will be:

1) "A Ranger Challenge" by Wild Bill Wilder.

This is a new, unreleased, playtested, historical scenario. It will be secured to insure both players are completely blind.

2)"Der Berg" by Bill Hardenberger.

With Bill's permission I have modified this publicly available scenario for use in the finals. It will be secured to insure both players are completely blind. The original version of this scenario is available for download at the Scenario Depot. I highly recommend it.

If you are a finalist hoping to gain an edge by looking over the public version of the scenario, feel free; but be aware that due to changes made, the public version will only help you learn the map(LOS). You will get into trouble if you count on anything else being the same in the tourney version. :D

3) "Flag Rush Hill" by Treeburst155

This is a "CM Lite" scenario. A similar version is available at the Scenario Depot. It has been playtested several times against several people and measures up to my requirements in the "fun" department.

Finalists will receive a standard tournament saved cmb file for this one so they can study the other side's OOB by playing the game from that side. It is only tourney saved to prevent the scenario from being modified.

There you have it. I think you will find these finals games to be quite enjoyable.

Treeburst155 out.

[ March 20, 2002, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Originally posted by tabpub:

Kommerschiedt is finally over..you all can discuss everything now. I have no idea if this would change anything, but we are done. This has been an interesting exercise and I look forward to watching the finals.

Hooray!!! I too look forward to watching the finals unfold. I am working under the assumption that I will not be one of the participants.

Originally posted by tabpub:

Kommerschiedt is finally over..you all can discuss everything now. I have no idea if this would change anything, but we are done. This has been an interesting exercise and I look forward to watching the finals.

I've posted a question on the other thread - go on over and share your experience with Kommerscheidt!

...and the crunching of scores begins

Here are the median scores achieved for each scenario. The first number is the Allied median, followed by the Axis median. These medians were figured AFTER adjusting raw scores for contested VLs. That's why they always equal 100. Were the scenarios balanced? The answer is below.

We Can't Wait-39.5,60.5

Duel At Dompaire-46.5, 53.5

Sounds In The Night-57.25, 42.75

Resolve At Ranville-45, 55

Real Guts-50, 50

The High Cost Of Real Estate-40.25, 59.75

Crisis At Kommerscheidt-58.5, 41.5

More interesting numbers are coming.

Treeburst155 out.

Below is the input to Nabla's scoring program. It contains all the raw CM scores. Players should check this over to make sure the input is correct. I have been known to make mistakes. IIRC my last mistake was in 1973; but it is still possible I goofed. The Allied player is always on the left.

#We_Cant_Wait

Bertram 19 Miron 75

Johnson 45 Jukka 55

Pixelmaster 37 Moore 63

Redeker 67 Sowden 32

Holien 54 Kingfish 41

Georges_Mick 30 Tom 65

Svensson 37 CapDog 63

vonLucke 37 Kettler 54

TabPub 35 Zalewski 60

Gaspari 56 Travisano 44

Juha 40 Rohde 51

Enoch 26 Dickens 74

#Duel_At_Dompaire

Miron 69 Moore 18

Bertram 28 Jukka 71

Johnson 37 Sowden 63

Pixelmaster 44 Redeker 52

Kingfish 47 CapDog 53

Holien 72 Tom 28

Georges_Mick 46 Kettler 44

Svensson 63 vonLucke 27

Zalewski 45 Rohde 51

TabPub 31 Travisano 64

Gaspari 29 Dickens 71

Juha 41 Enoch 59

#Sounds_In_Night

Redeker 83 Miron 17

Sowden 52 Jukka 39

Moore 50 Bertram 40

Pixelmaster 39 Johnson 54

vonLucke 53 Kingfish 43

Kettler 63 Tom 33

CapDog 37 Holien 63

Svensson 68 Georges_Mick 30

Enoch 45 Zalewski 55

Dickens 87 Travisano 13

Rohde 58 TabPub 42

Juha 56 Gaspari 38

#Resolve_At_Ranville

Miron 53 Johnson 38

Jukka 85 Pixelmaster 15

Moore 21 Redeker 79

Sowden 46 Bertram 54

Kingfish 65 Georges_Mick 27

Tom 50 Svensson 41

CapDog 39 vonLucke 51

Kettler 42 Holien 58

Zalewski 37 Gaspari 54

Travisano 35 Juha 56

Rohde 18 Enoch 82

Dickens 84 TabPub 16

#Real_Guts

Jukka 32 Miron 49

Moore 13 Johnson 78

Sowden 66 Pixelmaster 34

Redeker 70 Bertram 30

Tom 31 Kingfish 69

CapDog 75 Georges_Mick 25

Kettler 26 Svensson 74

vonLucke 61 Holien 39

Travisano 27 Zalewski 63

Rohde 37 Gaspari 51

Dickens 71 Juha 29

Enoch 57 TabPub 43

#High_Cost

Sowden 33 Miron 61

Moore 34 Jukka 51

Redeker 51 Johnson 49

Pixelmaster 32 Bertram 68

Kettler 37 Kingfish 56

CapDog 46 Tom 54

vonLucke 59 Georges_Mick 41

Svensson 12 Holien 88

Zalewski 24 Dickens 76

Rohde 36 Travisano 50

Enoch 31 Gaspari 63

Juha 40 TabPub 60

#Crisis_At_Kommerscheidt

Miron 84 Pixelmaster 16

Jukka 58 Redeker 36

Moore 60 Sowden 40

Bertram 37 Johnson 48

Kingfish 56 Svensson 44

Tom 65 vonLucke 35

CapDog 50 Kettler 44

Holien 81 Georges_Mick 19

Zalewski 40 Juha 49

Travisano 54 Enoch 40

Rohde 26 Dickens 74

TabPub 62 Gaspari 30

Treeburst155 out.

Got the results Treeburst,

I'll be e-mailing my Excel97 spreadsheet with the final results to whomever wants it.WineCape@global.co.za

I'll also send one to you and Wild Bill too; check your email. A BIG thanks to all who particpated. This was our most succesfull tourney so far. Needless to say, RoW II will be in the offer as soon as CMBB rolls out of BTS' foundry. Congrats to the winners! I'll leave it to our Tourney Manager to announce the worthy finalists. He's got the Nabla machine that will teleport the worthy to a higher plane :D

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

---------------------

"When men drink, then they are rich and successful and win lawsuits and are happy and help their friends. Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever."

-- Aristophanes in " A Knight's Tale" (2001)