What is PENG?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ginzo,

If it makes you feel any better, I've been following this board sporadically for about 1.5 years and I still don't know what the hell "Peng" means.

I have seen other people ask the question and they're always met with responses/answers that are highly ambiguous at best.

Out,

Volstag

[ October 19, 2002, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Volstag ]

Originally posted by Volstag:

Ginzo,

If it makes you feel any better, I've been following this board sporadically for about 1.5 years and I still don't know what the hell "Peng" means.

I have seen other people ask the question and they're always met with responses/answers that are highly ambiguous at best.

Out,

Volstag

PengHamlet.jpg

Peng

*sniff* Of late me considerations have turned towards leotards. Not yer ordinary leotards but yer lycra ones as worn by certain Turkish weightlifters and wrestlers.

Now, Peng is yer filling. See, the leotard is yer cosmic container stretching and supporting yer Peng. And yer Peng is the filling for the leotard, forever moving, convulsing and giving form in yer cosmos.

No leotard and everything falls about so you can't underestimate yer leotards because yer need to contain yer Pengs.

[thinks a bit]

*sniff* Indeed, I have spent many hours engaging with a leotard experiencing the mysteries of life and noticed that things get a bit bothersome and that pink doesn't suit me mood. Things can only stretch so far and causing a rip in yer leotard by placing two legs in one hole is to be avoided.

So, the question really is "what's me leotard" and "how I can I fill it?

Yeknod

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

The Peng Thread is that nice place where everyone sits in a comfy chair by the fire sipping wine coolers. Everyone is polite and giggly.

You pillock, that's Emma's delightfully unstressed weird spelling bee thread. By the way, got your card filled with hate, and I loved it. I hope you don't choke on a beer and die under embarassing circumstances. Publicly, anyway.

What is Peng?

A question indeed.

The simplest answer is that 'Peng' is MrPeng. Of course, now that you've been told that, you're still no closer to the truth than you will be at the moment of your death. Sorry. Hope you weren't expecting any 'sudden awakening' or 'spiritual enlightenment' there, either.

Now, so as not to send your poor and lonely self away, doubtless traumatized by a sudden awareness of your own mortality and how little prepared you'll be for the Big Dark when it hits, without an answer that you can actually grasp, I will give you the 'graspable' version.

The Peng Challenge Thread has, in fact, existed since before recorded human history. Not many realize this. Of course, in it's very earliest days (pretty much everything before recorded history), it was simply called 'the food chain'.

Now, since the invention of Combat Mission (kudos to the lads at BFC for finally creating the circumstances which allowed an actual element of the human condition to find an expression), it has existed as a 'Taunting and Posturing Thread Aimed at Challenging Individuals to a Game of Combat Mission'.

Of course, it is so much more than that.

Anything that comes into being for a stated and clearly defined purpose is still subject to change. And when that clearly stated and defined purpose is to taunt and challenge people to merry combat, you're going to start getting a sort of 'involuntary, unexpected, and probably disturbing' evolution.

The genesis was simply one lurker nervously making a satirical post to a well-known figure of an humourous standing, inviting him to play a PBEM and passing some jocular remarks in the process. The result was history, myth, and silly little questions like yours.

For you see, with the fortuitous interaction of the existence of Combat Mission, the Internet, Edmund Rostand, Terry Pratchett, God, an annoyed but feisty dachshund named 'Colin', Satan, Death, the existence of Good and Evil, Curmudgeons, Women, the innocent stupidity of transporting thousands of drunken and criminal members of the British Isles to Australia, thingies, the Dreamtime, newbies, the Illuminati, Feudalism, Wisdom, Stupidity, Extremely Egregious Stupidity, Laughter, Abuse, Outer Boarders, Grogs, Scotch, Beer, Very Good Scotch, Kelly's Heroes, Bagpipes, the Mormons, Our inability to muster the national resolve to return Texas to the Mexicans, Schism and Apostasy, Polar Bears, the Brick, a Pointed Stick, Lawyers, The French, the Old Firm, Surstroemming, Arthurian Legend, the Templars, Rudyard Kipling, Alexandre Dumas Pere, Babelfish, the English, Cesspools, Minnesota, TC Schutz, bards, stenographers, sheep, the Poor Man's MacAuslan, Milton, donkeys, riverboats, Quests, the Norns, Fiction, Monty Python, bodily functions, Trials, Titles, a belief in 'punctuated evolution', JRR Tolkien, and, of course, The Jolly Sing-Song, the existence of the Peng Challenge Thread was a foregone conclusion.

That's the 'short' version, of course. The 'long' version involves something on the order of 10,000 plus posts.

Of course, the very shortest version is this:

Three figures sit in the midst of a Wasteland, around a crackling fire. They wait for the World to be Created around them by the journey of the people, who arrive with their laughter, their bickering, and their enjoyment. They represent the Three Fates. Only one of them can sing. That doesn't stop the other two. Which one is Peng?

Originally posted by Ginzo:

What is PENG?

I see by your fuzzed haired visage that you are but a newly lost traveler to these parts. You have asked a question, there is no answer. All of the above statements are true, and none of them are. You might as well ask if a dog (or Mace's Sheep) has Buddha nature. The droll reality is about the same. Or ask if Seanachai can really say anything in less than 3 paragrahs (the answer is no - but then even in three paragraphs he doesn't really SAY anything.

MrPeng legendary creature that he is (and don't be listening to Berli for one minute, not if you value your eternal soul) Nonetheless of humorous mien, full of sound and fury signifying really very little and usually recovering in Rehab, not to mention the smell, is rarely heard of or seen. Sasquatch has a more active PR flack. Then again there is the active case, "to be Penged" is an event, or is tha ablative and is that like armor flaking.

Actually, the Cesspool, a creation of the collective psychosis of it's inhabitants, is the most fertile grounds for enlightenment. Look for a thread title of arcane incantation (or sophistry if PanzerLeader attempts it) the contains the mystical and sacred runes (not rune that's another matter) that manifest PENG and CHALLENGE in them. Read with in and all will be revealed and made clear. Of course your will want to gouge out your eyes later.Perhaps a discussion with Grog Dorosh would be a better fate.

There aren't you glad you asked?

[ October 19, 2002, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: jdmorse ]

Not to belittle BFC in anyway, but it seems to be a wholly appropriate title of any future novel that might discuss the CM phenomenon or experience would of course be, "What is Peng?" (the cover of alleged novel could be covered in smilies :eek: )

Surely there are some profound peng koans that might be shared by those regularly afflicted by The Thread.

To misquote a regular here:

It's a mutha-beautiful thread, and its gonna be there!

(this post should in no way imply that I am a participant in the cesspool)