CMBB versus Red Alert

Haha, hahaha, hahahahahahaha.

ooooooohhh....

snort.

As stated above - trying to squish infantry in CM will result in a nice line of bonfires where your tanks used to be.

On the grossest scale (least detail) you may be right, but if you don't pay attention to the details, they come round and bite you on the arse.

Oh yeah, Welcome to CM.

SQUISH ;)

thanks,you are now noted on my list as possible future opponent :D

I like sure wins befor you play a game :rolleyes:

no seriously,like the others said,you cant compare this masterpiece with red alert.

its just like comparing a fiat to a ferrari.

Its a good idea to do some homework in eastfront tactics

henk

Red Alert, Close Combat, Panzer General, they all seem good enough ways to me to get introduced to the wargaming genre. After all, it is not 1965, and people can't go down to their local "Hobby Shop" and get the latest wargame like it used to be.

I am happy for Flibble, that he became interested enough in the genre, and even knows the idea behind "Combined Arms Tactics" but I am especially that this enjoyment of wargames has at last led him to the Mecca of Wargaming: Combat Mission!

ANd I can gaurantee that he will learn a whole new appreiation of 'combined arms tactics' now!

I was recalling a thread a long time ago where someone complained that they allowed the computer to select his force in a quick battle, and he got something like 20 elite jeeps with .50 cal. MGs. He surrendered immediately, and complained about a poor force selection.

The general response was "you surrendered too fast! You could have surrounded his King Tiger and immobalized/gun damaged it!"

smile.gif

What's this? Yes you can go down to the local wargame shop and pick up a game. At least I did, just a month ago, got (SuperSized) Illuminati. As opposed to the pocket book edition which causes eye strain.

While at the wargame store I did notice that there was nothing, NOTHING! to compare with CM.

But let us not forget our roots !

If Red Alert taught the value of combined arms, thats great. As was stated, not all of the unit specific tactics will transfer. But the basic tactics that lead to victory in any age, will.

"Go tell the archers to get on the reverse slope of that hill" ---- Tacticus Toad

Originally posted by Flibble:

I know RA is a bit lacking in the realism department, but it taught me everything I know about combined arms operations, plus I defy anyone not to smile at the 'squish' noise running over a grunt produces. tongue.gif

We all had to start somewhere!

Stand by to learn a whooole lot more about C-A operations...

BTW, the only "squish" sounds you will hear in a CM battle are those of deflating egos as you rip your opponents to shreds. Of course, that could be your own, as well...

(and that's probably why I'm too chicken to go against human opponents) :D:D

The general response was "you surrendered too fast! You could have surrounded his King Tiger and immobalized/gun damaged it!"

If we must compare CM to anything, what about Sudden Strike? Of course, it suffered from the same problems that RA did. If you shoot a tank with a rifle enough times, it will explode.

And don't get me started on what POS's the German Tanks were. Ohhhhh you don't want to go there.

Please....not the "L" word....not on this forum.....
Nice one Michael. Don't think anyone has noticed the reference yet. There's only a few names on this thread that have been around long enough to remember him. Unless there really is no reference, in which case claim I have had far too much Dalwhinnie to not have a hangover in the morning.

Originally posted by CrapGame:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Please....not the "L" word....not on this forum.....

Nice one Michael. Don't think anyone has noticed the reference yet. There's only a few names on this thread that have been around long enough to remember him. Unless there really is no reference, in which case claim I have had far too much Dalwhinnie to not have a hangover in the morning.</font>