Real life gamey recon, Belgium Jan 15, 1945

Sorry I couldn't resist:

We pulled the tank we'd found outside Noville in alongside our positions and started preparing K rations. Then we heard some of the tank commanders talking, wondering what the enemy's strength was or if they had any tanks or panzerfausts.

"Hell, let's find out for them," Day said.

A bunch of us piled into our tank, gunned the engine, plowed out over the crest of the ridge, and headed towards the woods. As we approached the tree line, three high-explosive shells slammed into the side of our Sherman. Day spun the tank first to the left, then to the right, but we kept bearing towards the woods.

Our radio crackled and a voice screamed, "Who the hell are you?"

"This is Kidnap's own personal armor. We're reconnoitering for you," Day replied.

"Get your asses back here before we blow you all over that field. We've got four guns trained on you right now."

Day spun us in a quick 180-degree turn to the left and headed back for our lines. More shells struck us and mortar shells burst in the field around us. We made our way back over the ridge and came to a halt back at our position.

A mob of tank commanders and several of our own officers met us as we crawled from our vehicle. All of them were hollering and yelling at the same time. Standing on top of the turret with all those officers and non-coms down below barking up at us, I knew just what a treed coon must feel like. When it was all over we had been well chewed.

"These crazy paratroopers," one of the tank officers muttered as he walked away. "They come out of nowhere with a tank and play games with it in enemy territory. They're crazy. I can't understand it. They're crazy."

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

the way I understood that quip, they didn't reconnoiter any facts at all. they drove up at high speed, their own guns shot at them, and they returned.

or did I misunderstand the quote?

I think you did misunderstand it. I'm pretty sure it was enemy fire they were taking out there.

Isn't this a passage from Burgett's "Seven Roads to Hell"? I believe the paratroopers found an abandoned Sherman in working order and crewed it themselves (gamey). They kept it attached to their unit as long as they could. I don't remember if it was destroyed while in their care or if they had to turn it over to the armored combat command.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Isn't this a passage from Burgett's "Seven Roads to Hell"? I believe the paratroopers found an abandoned Sherman in working order and crewed it themselves (gamey). They kept it attached to their unit as long as they could. I don't remember if it was destroyed while in their care or if they had to turn it over to the armored combat command.

I was wondering where that quote was from?

Can anyone confirm if it was from Burgett's "Seven Roads to Hell"

Thanks

-tom w

Yes it's from _Seven Roads to Hell_. Here's how the story continues:

The next morning, 16 January, before we resumed our attack, a delegation from the 11th Armored unit approached our new company commander with a demand that our tank be turned over to them.

"Go to hell," he said. "These men captured that tank from the enemy, and by God they're going to keep it."

"But we're armored and you're paratroopers; we should have the tank," one of the tank officers bleated.

"If you wanted that tank so bad, you shouldn't have let the Krauts have it in the first place," our commander replied. "We've got it now and we're going to keep it."

"We'll settle it later," the ranking tanker said. He motioned to the others and they left. The attack was about to start.

About an hour after daybreak on the sixteenth we again moved out as part of a massive attack that carried us northeast of Noville in a wide swinging movement. We ran into little opposition, saw few enemy. It was as if they all had picked up their toys and had gone home.

They ended up keeping it till they were pulled out of the line, and on the march back to their pickup point they took turns riding it.

[edited to falsify a word in the quote because, again, I just couldnt' resist]

[ February 20, 2002, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Interesting story! But to be serious for a sec...

Rember folks, one of the key parts of the definition of "gamey" is repetition. It is not "gamey" for the Paras to crew an abandoned tank. It was also not "gamey" for them to behave like a drunken suicide squad either. All sorts of crazy, one off things like this happened in war. If an event like this happened all the time in real war, then the definition of "gamey" would not apply because this behavior would be "SOP" or "Doctrine". But it wasn't, so if CM allowed this to happen more than once in a couple of thousand games, the behavior would certainly be "gamey" smile.gif

M Hoffbauer,

the way I understood that quip, they didn't reconnoiter any facts at all. they drove up at high speed, their own guns shot at them, and they returned.

or did I misunderstand the quote?

I read and reread that quote several times. Initially I thought it was friendly too, but now I think it was enemy fire based on the little information we have. If it was friendly fire, it would have ceased after the tankers established contact with them, plus I doubt mortars would have been used by the Paras against their own. But what is with the HE hits? Wonder what was shooting at them? AT gun out of AP ammo?

Steve

Maybe I should have called paras crewing a tank "lifey" i.e. taking adavantage of a flaw in Real Life that enables you to do something that you couldn't do in CM.
Ofcourse it's lifey. There is very little evidence out there that this tactic was ever employed in CM. And as we've all seen, the degree that a real persons behavior is out of step with CM is the degree that a behavior is lifey.

Now someone is bound to some along and say this isn't lifey, and maybe give some reasons why. Then someone will find some obscure posting where there is a vague reference to it having been employed in CM on one occasion, and conclude therefore that everyone in real war actually does that.

I suggest that before engaging in real life combat you discuss the parameters with your opponent and decide on what tactics you will use. Then you won't be surprised when the enemy does something out of character with CM.

:D

[ February 20, 2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]