Any die hard CMBOers not buying CMBB?

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Just curious if there are any who do not want to change/dont like new changes/dont like CDV and so wont be buying CMBB, and will be sticking to CMBO.

Im not one for sure! But, are there any?

Chad

We shall see - I still ordered CMBB and I'll still play it ... a lot, I'm sure! But I'm curious which game I'll be playing in a year from now. I have a *suspicion* it will be CMBO.

For two reasons, after giving it about 3 seconds worth of thought:

1. I'm an ethnocentric American, and I kind of enjoy playing as a 'merkin.

2. CMBB seems to add more for the grogs, adding more and more to increase the realism factor. Which is cool, but I'm a PC Gamer first and a war gamer ... well, not at all. With the CMBB demo sometimes I felt like I was fighting ghosts and missed the all-seeing eye.

Still, I'm not gonna sit here with a "harumph" and not play CMBB. I fully expect it to be excellent, but CMBO is a tought game to live up to.

murpes, just don't forget that the CMBB demo shows a lot of outlier gameplay. I'm sure the more 'normal' situations will feel and play much differently.

And the slowed down pace of the game shouldn't be a problem, if you can handle CMBO then I imagine you can adjust ;)

[ September 21, 2002, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

Originally posted by murpes:

I hear you on that one. But, we will be returning back to the western front in the future, someday.

2. CMBB seems to add more for the grogs, adding more and more to increase the realism factor. Which is cool, but I'm a PC Gamer first and a war gamer ... well, not at all. With the CMBB demo sometimes I felt like I was fighting ghosts and missed the all-seeing eye.

Thats an interesting point that I had not thought of. I can see your point. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for from CM. If you are looking for more game than realism, CMBO is your bet. If you are looking for a greater amount of realism, CMBB is your best bet. But not everyone is looking for the most realistic game.

Chad

Then what more should you enjoy than watching a bunch of furriners blast the bejeezus out of each other. Kill a commie for mommie.

2. CMBB seems to add more for the grogs, .

Yeah, but it DOES add a whole new arena of the war which was...important for the final outcome.

, but CMBO is a tought game to live up to.[/QB]

And I fully expect CMBB to be at least it's equal, if not far superior.

I will still play CMBO. It is danged GOOD. But I will also play CMBB. I have great expectations for it. I just want it to arrive NOW.

Sorry for the rant.

I won't be buy CMBB for a couple of reasons

1. My computer won't run it (and with 2 kids in college and a 3rd getting ready for it next year) I don't have the money to upgrade the computer.

2. I have absolutely no interest in the Eastern Front.

Eric

Originally posted by EricM:

2. I have absolutely no interest in the Eastern Front.

Eric

I have some interest in the Eastern Front, and have been doing a lot of reading about it. I'm interested in seeing if I have enough interest to sustain playing Nazi's and Reds in Russia, where I have no interest to visit.

Among the other things I like about the Western Front, it is a nice place to take vacations and see the battle areas. That won't be happening in CMBB, although I've already ordered it and plan to give it a good shot.

CMBO will remain on my machine. There are a lot of scenario's I have yet to try.

Originally posted by murpes:

I suspect that this had to do with the scenarios included in the demo rather than CMBB itself. With the demo, I've found myself playing the tutorial (as russians, with +1 exp and +100% troop levels to the Germans), as this is more like a normal CMBO-type game than either of the other scenarios.

I like that the demo platoon is half regular/half green - they play a lot like the all green Americans I normally used in CMBO.

I'm one of what seems to be a minority who prefer the Western Front. I am still going to buy CM:BB, because I'm excited at the improvements that have been made to gameplay (eg MGs), but I don't doubt that I will keep playing CM:BO.

I need it on my hard disk, so that I can rebuild all the CM:BO scenarios I've made in CM:BB smile.gif

For what its worth, I'll still be playing CMBO for awhile anyway and I hope there'll be a few others at least. I'm a bit ethnocentric myself (see sig) but I find the eastern front to be very interesting anyway (see username). My main reason for sticking to CMBO for the time being is simply because the IRS has taken an interest in my bank account and I ain't gunna shell out 45 clams right at the moment. :(

I think I'll also keep playing CMBO, I'm still enjoying it a lot and still learning. I've played the new demo and really did't like the look and feel much. Somebody here said something about increased reality vs. 'gameness' (or something like that) and I got that feeling from the demo. Probably has increased 'reality', but was not as interesting visually. I missed the 'unreal' explosions, etc. and was disappointed with the 'thud' and some dirt flying that you get with tank shells. I'll watch the forum to see if it is relatively bug free (I'd be surprised if otherwise, BFC is such a good company in that regard), and I suppose I'll buy it down the road a piece. But in the meantime, hope to keep seeing lots of post here, new scenaros, and so on.

rlh1138

The biggest problem i forsee is that being a lazy s... I'm not interested in having to change cd's everytime I want to play a different pbem opponent. it seems a small sacrifice to non/lazy people but i'm playing 8 pbems at once. half are CMBO and the other CMBB demo.

What are us lazy folks to do ????? :confused:

...i reckon you can count me “in”, or “out”, as it were...

...while I have a regard for the actions on the “eastern front” in terms of understanding the overall scope/context of the war, admittedly my interest is rather tepid beyond that point. yes sir, flanking a strongpoint in the normandy hederows or working a broken-down platoon of yanks up another aachen roadway puts the hook in me every time...

...what’s more, i can devote a rather limited time to gaming and even though i have owned combat mission for a bit more than a year, i feel as though i have barely scratched the surface (besides, it took me this long to finally arrange/edit all of the .bmp and .wav files in order to make them just so – i’ll be damned if I’m going to start that process anew any time soon).

...i’ll eagerly soak up any new features and dole out my dollars when it’s time to hit the shores of anzio or lock horns with rommel at kasserine, until then...

this may surpise some folks but the main reason I bought CMBB was to financially support the development of CMII the re-write, and because I am loyal and I REALLY have enjoyed CMBO enough to buy their next offering even if I have VERY LITTLE interest in the Eastern Front.

I am ALOT less interested in the Eastern Front because I speak NIETHER German or Russian so I sort of feel "alienated" from the action in the battles in the game. YES it is historically accurate, but I REALLY hope a sound mod comes out for english voice overs for all that German and Russian they are speaking.

LOOK...even Panzer Elite that is MADE in GERMANY offers english speakers with a great German accent.

I like the fact that the game came out with historically accurate native german and russian voices BUT I would feel WAY more comfortable with CMBB if I could play either the German side or the Russian side (any side that is) and listen to english speakers (ok with native german or russian accents would be cool), so that I could tell what was happening on the battlefield.

In CMBO I prefer the ALLIES (CND Brit or American) so that I can hear and understand what is being said down on the ground in the middle of the battle, I don't like to play other nationalities because I can't understand what they are saying and that leaves me sort of feeling somewhat "alienated" from the battle and the action.

That's only my opinion and I will bet most folks here really don't care about the non-english dialogue in CMBB.

BUT I really did buy CMBB to financially support the NEXT BIG THING (CMII) which "should" be absolutely revolutionary after their experience with CMBO and CMBB and 2.5 years of development!

That's my sales pitch for CMBB ... "Buy it to support CMII!" smile.gif

I wonder if any BTS/BFC guys bother to read this forum anymore? :confused:

-tom w

[ September 21, 2002, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

I think CMBO set the standard for all wargames in the industry, and because of that, it has it's place forever.

I have just touched the surface of CMBB....and it is AWESOME!!! We don't have to forget CMBO, and we can continue to play it. But, you will be really missing out if you dont play CMBB.

Just my opinion.

[ September 22, 2002, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: T34Rules ]

Originally posted by rhudat:

The biggest problem i forsee is that being a lazy s... I'm not interested in having to change cd's everytime I want to play a different pbem opponent. it seems a small sacrifice to non/lazy people but i'm playing 8 pbems at once. half are CMBO and the other CMBB demo.

What are us lazy folks to do ????? :confused:

I had a similar problem and solved it by putting CMBB in my CD-Rom and CMBO in my CD-RW ;)

Sargon

[ September 22, 2002, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Sargon70 ]

Im with Tom on this one. I dont have much interest in the Eastern Front but have pre-ordered it to support the company that will revisit the Western Front in years to come.

I think CMBB will be fun but I have to admit I will miss things from CMBO and those will make me return to it after a period (commonwealth forces, shockwaves etc). I doubt I will still be playing CMBB after 2 years unlike CMBO which I will be for many more years to come. (at least until the western front is redone)