How to counter Ari Maenpaa?

He's the top rated player in the Invitational, and I'm near the bottom. I'd call this David vs. Goliath, but I've lost way too many sheep for the metaphor to stick!

I'd appreciate some sage advice from people who've fought him before. He seems to prefer Germans (overwhelming mass of wins in Invitational) and dislikes TRPs and Jabos, while resolutely rejecting

unkillable flak HTs. What can Intel give me on this crack enemy commander? What makes him tick? Better yet, what throws off his ticking or stops it altogether? With more than a 30 point disparity in our averages, I need all the help I can get.

Regards,

John Kettler

Not that I'm qualified to give advice to anyone about anything, but...

First: Have fun! It's a game after all.

Second: Learn as much as you can. Watch what he does, and ask why. You never know, your current tough opponent might soon turn into a great mentor.

Third: Keep it realistic unless this is a gamey "anything goes" tournament. Sometimes it seems like the greatest challenge is how to get as many guys as possible out of a deathtrap... but you learn and go on.

Guy

Hi John!

Do not panic, the man isn't "Goliath" (except in real life ;) )He just uses enough time to analyze different moves and solutions in CM. Yes, he prefers German side, and knows how to use them. He doesn't use any gamey methods, though. He uses the super-ugly grid terrain mod which makes it easier observe the differences in terrain elevations. You might want to ask tips from Jarmo, I believe he gave some serial punishment to Ari in Invitational. I can't say if there is any Achilles heel, but some times his liking of Krupp steel makes his infantry little few in numbers. His style is quite cautious, he prefers not to take big risks. And if possible he makes a testing scenario of his own to see possible outcome from some action he is thinking to try. Even when winning, he doesn't get cocky but remains cautious. And he have learned many things during those tournamets he have played, and I believe so have You. One thing (if living in same time zone) to get him off balance is constantly harass him by email or phone to sent next turn soon and add some rude insults ;) (Well I do that to him anyways...) He doesn't like to play in a hurry, he wants to take his time. He also have very good knowledge of WWII and own tons of books about it. I'd say he is quite fond of the subject (as am I).

Finally, since Ari probably reads this too in some point - turn on Your freakin cellphone man!

Ari uses my terrain mod?! That makes three of us using it ona regular basis that I know of. It really is good for playing from view 4. It's not often I have to drop down any lower.

I went back to an eye candy mod a few months ago, and I could hardly play the game! I found myself scurrying about the map in the low views all the time. I really think my "war room" mod gives a slight advantage to those using it.

John,

Just do the best you can against Ari. You'll either win or learn. I never lose. I just learn when my opponent wins. :D

Treeburst155 out.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd love to win an upset victory, but at the very least I want him to know he's been in a fight and that I'm a bull. I'm tired of being a combat doormat!

Treeburst155, nice to know I'm not the spanner in the Invitational's works. Could've sworn I was the bottleneck.

Regards,

John Kettler

Given that Ari stands between me and my nonexistent chance for victory, maybe I should give a few pointers. ;)

Just buy hellish amounts of artillery and bomb the crap out of his men. Then do a gamey flag rush in the last turn.. :D

Actually, if you feel certain manuever is risky, don't do it. He'll just punish you for it. Careful and cautious is the way..