CMBO arrived today!

Ok...I guess for a 58 year old man (kid) to make this post will seem silly to some. Oh well.

Game arrived today. Just ordered it Mon. From VT to IL in 5 days...yeah.

Just simply awesome! Don't know why it took me over a year but the good thing is I have months and months to devour on the goodies...mods...scenarios etc. Just beginning and enjoying it to the hilt.

Did my first battle and I had a neat little incident. Pretty well cleared out this town with not too many GI's left. Had about 6 groups left and they were going from building to building to find the remaining foes. Spread them out...some went into this building...some out front. Boom. On the roof appears a German with a flamethrower. He proceeds to send the guys inside scattering and stirs up the gang outside. Then all of a sudden the whole building is on fire! He runs out and is finished. 2 turns later they surrender. I score 76% on my first attempt. Cool beans.

As I played I thought of my dad (passed away 2 years ago) and all his stories about the war and his brother. I actually got misty eyed once or twice. This game is so realistic...and the tab/2 cam is terrific.

I'm sure way down the road I'll go ahead and pick up CMBB but I have to tell ya watching those guys with the American flag on their shoulder is just way awesome.

Looking forward to getting more mods...etc. It seems endless. So many fan sites. So much data. Battlefront plus all the add ons makes this the best war game I've ever played. Sure a long way from the wargame dice games when I was a wee lad.

Thanks for listening. Thanks for the helpers on my other threads. I'll try to contain myself and not post of my experiences often but just had to share that this old man is one very happy camper today.

God bless

The greatst thing is that the giddiness and excitment never seems to go away. I've been playing CMBO for a long time and I still regularly want to share my virtual battle stories with family and co-workers.

If my wife had a nickle for every time she heard me say - "Come over here dear, you just gotta see this..." smile.gif

Welcome to the club and have fun.

Welcome. I'm trying to convince an old wargamer who has made the conversion to computer wargames to purchase cmbo. He's probably about your age. The last thing I told him was pretty close to what you stated above: this is the kind of game that will cause him to question WHY in the world he waited so long to get it.

Anyway, I can certainly relate to the emotions the game can evoke, though, my Dad's still alive.

Best choice you could have made in choosing a wargame. I've been playing close to two years now and I'll get a little burned out for short spells, but return in short order.

Agua and others....I too just recieved the game (bundle) 2 days ago and I would like to add....some of the best wargaming I've ever had on the computer....I like other games for what they are ... SC and also AA, but for the sweaty palm feature, you just cant beat a one minute CMBO or CMBB turn. I look forward to many, many hours of these two fine games....only thing is, I dont know why I waited so long to buy....

RevJack

Agree with all the posts.

I've been a Tiger Woods 2k3 golf pc game fanatic the past month but CMBO now takes up 50 per cent of my gaming time.

Downloaded so many scenarios I don't know which ones to try. So I have about 5 going. Guess I really should stick with completing one but heck I feel like a kid in a big candy store.

I'm a lousy commander though. Got a bunch of my Shermans stuck in mud and boxed in with each other. Trying to get a few out but the Germans keep pounding me. Bad mistake.

CMBO one incredible realistic awesome game!

Congrats on your entry into the fold. I have been enjoying this game since the beta demo in Nov of 1999. Wow 3 years now. I rarely play any other games besides CM (OK Ghost Recon of late).

You will truly enjoy it, just be patient and learn the way to use tactics relative to each unit's strengths or weaknesses

Yes, CMBO, and now CMBB, are the best WWII games going. First, if you are like me, you will save a lot of money by not chasing the latest whiz bang game that you can't figure out or play. Second, get all the hi-res mods at CMHQ because CMBO is MUCH cooler when it looks real good.

Third, I started reading a lot of the real history of WWII to play the game, and now that is more entertaining and interesting to me than than the game itself. You read to play better, and you just got to play after reading about the real events.

Very cool all around. BTW, I'm just a kid at 55. I wish they had invented all this stuff long ago.

Originally posted by Lawyer:

Very cool all around. BTW, I'm just a kid at 55. I wish they had invented all this stuff long ago.[/QB]

Not to kidnap this thread, but hey guys, thanks for lowering my inner guilt, as I've been at CM now for 2 years and most my family shake their heads sadly at this (young) 50 yr. old gamer. :D

Yeah, want to add that I am a young 55 year old myself.....and to Lawyer let em laugh and shake their heads while we have all the fun!! And I do agree, I wish this stuff had come out years ago, cause I sure would like to see what BF will come up with down the road....

RevJack

As this has turned into the 50 and over thread, let me barge in, since I'm also 50 and still wondering what I want to do when I grow up.

Skunkle, congratulations on finding what is, in my mind, the single finest representation of WW2 era tactics available. From the very first time I saw the CM:BO screen shots on the BTS web site, I knew this was the war game I had dreamed of. All the miniatures and board games I had played for many years lost their appeal. The intensity of those 1-minute periods when all you can do is watch, and hope for the best, beats any die rolling by a long shot.

When you get comfortable with the game and want to try a PBEM, I'd be glad to play. Although I have CMBB (which is great), I'm keeping CM:BO on my hard drive for a long time, too.

Welcome to the madness. :D

Man, I thought this thread had died already. No...it just got 'older.' Pun intended.

Indeed...if I could have had this game 20 years ago it most likely would have come close to changing my life. Heck, I might not even be into many sports games if this baby had been around.

I remember with fondness those days with my cousin throwing the dice...reading those detailed charts...and moving those little markers in the board war games.

Not any more! And today I see they have this nice strategy guide for CMBB. Well, I love playing with the American soldiers with the flag on their shoulders. So I won't be getting CMBB soon but I figure I will later on.

I'm spending half of my time dl mods etc. And I know it's a little crazy but my wife keeps saying 'Are you still reading that manual and marking all over it?'

And I reply with a sheepish grin like a kid...'Uh...that's a big yes...honey. Want to take a look and see if I can get my guys out of a tough jam?'

Take care everybody.

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

A miniature paintin, line of sight measurin, blast radius layin, cotton ball colorin, terrain buildin sort of a guy.

Heh, that's me, circa 1966, with a 3x6 foot table of dirt in my bedroom! smile.gif "War Games", by Donald F. Featherstone, (Stanley Paul, London, 1962). About a year ago I found something free online called Age of Rifles. Amazing! Movement, fire, morale, painting, all done by computer! Now, in the course of Christmas shopping for relatives, I find this! Astonishing. Playing demo. Will order next billing cycle. I'm in wargamer's heaven.