Lord of the Rings

The silly, puerile Academy of left-wing morons has once again ignored the run-away best seller to esconce movies as interesting as reading the average case book for entertainment. The viewers have spoken. Why can't the overwelming success at the box office be given some credit by the movie elite? P.S. Denzel and Hallie deserved thier awards but the best picture was LOR!!

Originally posted by arax3:

The silly, puerile Academy of left-wing morons has once again ignored the run-away best seller to esconce movies as interesting as reading the average case book for entertainment. The viewers have spoken. Why can't the overwelming success at the box office be given some credit by the movie elite? P.S. Denzel and Hallie deserved thier awards but the best picture was LOR!!

You go guy!

Dude!

I think financial success should have NOTHING to do with the awards given.

Then we'd have Adam Sandler buried under all of his Acadamy awards.

I think these awards stink anyways. You can't judge something like acting down to "winners and losers." They are all good. (At least those that have been given a nomination.)

I think Monsters Inc. was a better movie than Shrek, but I am biased. smile.gif

(Those were BOTH blockbusters, though.)

Gpig

EDIT: Almost forgot my first HI MOM!!!

[ March 26, 2002, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Gpig ]

I refuse to let go of my love of the books. Yes, it has become hugely popular, the whole thing is now not more than any other thing which prostitutes itself for the mass appeal. But I refuse to let go because that would mean admitting the triumph of the system which would be to contradict myself, as I am critical of it.

The thread is OT and so am I. I doubt any of you will understand what I have said in the preceeding paragraph, but that is allright since I am deliberately ambigious.

Originally posted by Chupacabra:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ASHBERY76:

Lord of the rings was never going to win, it had no blacks. :D :eek: .

Now I'm trying to figure out if that's funny.

Nope.</font>

It feels kinda dirty being involved in this threatened thread...

So...I'll sound off...

LOTR WILL get a best picture...however, it won't be until the last one I think. They won't do it 3 times in a row for a series.

The real crime was Denzel...though I've come to terms with the fact that he deserved it last year and NOT Crowe. So...in the end justice will be served for all....hopefully...

Amelie...that was a crime too. I saw the winner and it was poopy. Clever, but not nearly as clever as Amelie...

LOTR defied any attempts to make a decent movie for over twenty years. Peter Jackson managed to take this epic, classic story and turn out a SERIOUS movie that captures the essence of the characters, the plot, the drama, and the mystery.

Jackson, in short, pulled off the heretofore impossible.

I never expected it to win. It simply wasn't "Hollywood" enough. The Academy is all about politics and lobbying, anyway. The Academy will be honest no sooner than Congress will...

"Beauty" was OK, enjoyed it, but it was no award winner in my book.