Defend from Wall or Forest, I can't make up my mind.

Interesting question...

The trees are better to hide in, but run the risk of artillery airbursts knocking you out. The wall will provide better cover from direct fire, but lacks some of the cover for the hiding benefit.

It may come down to which position gives you a better field of fire. That's what i would take into consideration.

the forest will offer better concealment until you open up fire, but treebursts from artillery will kill the gun quickly.

Hiding directly behind a stone wall can offer concealment unless an enemy unit gets within 200 or so yards, maybe a little less. He'll die quickly from gun or heavy tank fire unless he KOs the tanks first.

I personally like the trees better, but it depends on the field of fire.

If the choice is between forest and wall, I'd take the forest for the hiding bonus. If the choice is between scattered trees and wall, I'd probably take the wall. Walls are really good against incoming MG and rifle fire.

But one thing to consider when placing AT guns in wooded areas, putting them far back into the woods reduces your enemy's shot accuracy as well as your own. Your AT gun has to hit a specific target to do any damage; the tank only has to hit in the area to be able to supress and then kill your unit. Once your unit is spotted, the forest's benefits essentially vanish. And you may actually be at a disadvantage, accuracy-wise.

Sometimes, it may be best to just put them *just* inside the forest edge (so you don't lose accuracy), hide them until you see a good target, let them kill that target, and then watch them die. Hopefully they'll take out something more valuable than they were. Occasionally, you'll get more than one enemy AFV before your gun buys the farm.

BTW, by far the best "concealment" for guns in CM is distance. You want as many hundreds (actually thousands) of meters between you and your target as physically possible to remain hidden for as long as possible. An HQ with a good concealment bonus commanding the gun helps too (but distance is the real key). Once they're found, they're dead meat.

- Chris

Hey Toad...I would go with the wall. Walls and guns together rock!

Concealment when hiding behind a wall is very good for a gun...do a test and take a look. It is better than hiding close to the edge of woods. And when you choose to unhide, you have more protection than being at the edge of woods, better defence against small arms and arty, and when the gun gets "pinned" it goes back to being very well concealed - sometimes tanks lose site of the gun again.

Concealment is obviously better deeper in woods, but as Wolfe says, it is way worse for gun accuracy and usually a bad idea.

Units hiding behind a wall (within 15m) have a 0% exposure. Basically they are totally invisable. So the wall gives you the best cover. Once unhidden your exposure rises to 30% (about the same as scattered trees), compared to 18% for woods. But as already pointed out, you dont have to worry about those nasty tree bursts!

I would put the gun behind a wall IF the terrain it rests on is HIGHER than your planned killzone. If it's fairly level, it's kind of iffy... I'd have to see it for myself to decide.

The forest provides excellent concealment. Great for those first shot kills. But once artillery and mortars start shelling it, say good bye to your ATG. Even nearby blasts will suppress it. Only the best gun crews will keep firing through the storm.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmaker:

I would put the gun behind a wall IF the terrain it rests on is HIGHER than your planned killzone. If it's fairly level, it's kind of iffy... I'd have to see it for myself to decide.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had no idea there were so many variables.

Has anyone ever tried putting a wall next to some forest tiles and setting the gun behind that?

One scenario I played even had a gun in a church, exploiting one of the vagaries of the scenario editor. It survived long enough to use all of its ammunition, even.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had a lot of success with a german 37mm Flak behind a wall. It was on higher open ground behind a wall.

I have replayed the scenario several times and the gun was never taken out. It was sitting next to a MG bunker (also behind wall) which was taken out each time, but the gun just kept blasting. Each time it was credited with at least 1 Stuart and several 1/2Trks along with 15-20 infantry.

I was impressed! :D

My experience with AT guns (those not protected by cement pillboxes) is that they're almost useless. They're something like Japanese tree snipers: if they're lucky, they can get a kill. After they're exposed, they're dead meat. Guns have a very high profile. Once their surprise function is over, a kid with a 22 could take them out. But if you're playing a defense game and you've got some small change left, what the hey, buy a couple.

Well, after knocking out an enemy halftrack (with one shot) that appeared to be scouting my defenses and taking part in the repelling of an infantry attack, my gun has been spotted. Eight to 12 mortar rounds have landed too close for comfort.

While the wall may not protect me from the shells which mostly have fallen behind my position. I am certainly glad I am not in the woods.

Ducking Toad