CM:BB "Box" Art Kind of Lame

I haven't seen any previous commentary on this before (and I searched, so that should mean I pass my morale check), but the CM:BB art (presumably to be used on the manual cover and opening game screen) I've seen here and in the ads at wargamer.com is lame, borderline insulting to the intelligence. The backwards "Rs" don't suggest "Cyrillic", they suggest "illiterate." It's the kind of design element I'd expect from a C&C mass-market type game.

I know, it's not the typical grog lament about air-speed velocities of unladen Sturmoviks, but I'll be somewhat disappointed if that bit of amateur typography greets me and shatters the verismillitude each time I fire up the game.

Hey, it ain't the box art that matters, it's the game itself ! :D

And I've seen poorer efforts in this subject. take NWN, whose ads introduce a certain lady in a position that may not, at first sight, imply to a RPG...I just hate it when the innuendo gets everywhere...

Something is very lame here. But it is not the box art of CM:BB.

The backward "R"'s have been discussed in length, do a better search next time.

CM:BB is a product under development. Posts like yours are the reason BFC is so reluctant to throw bones. You "presume" that it is the cover art. Complain about it when you "know" next time...

Actually the 'backwards R's' was an inside joke (and a bit of deft marketing) to see how many hyper-critical grogs we could attract to this board to complain about it. Once in, we knew they would bitch about it and find a community of like-bitchers and they would be OURS... MUWHAHHAHA...

Honestly speaking, how gives a rat's backside what the box art look like? The box will only end up in the trash can anyway. It could have a picture of panzergrenadiers drawn by the BTS dudes' toddlers and I would still buy the thing. If the menu screen upsets you then you can always mod that yourself as well.

Guest SnarkerII
Originally posted by Lambshank:

I know, it's not the typical grog lament about air-speed velocities of unladen Sturmoviks

It's "the air-speed of an unladen swallow". "African" or "European" is the real debate :D

As for the box, I chuck 'em anyway and just keep the disks and docs. Boxes take up too much room on a shelf...

And it's Stormovik, not Sturmovik !

AH HA! Witness dis:

IL-2 Sturmovik

Now, ifin you do a search fer Stormovik, it axes ya whether er not you really wanted Sturmovik. Then produces several links to Stormovik. Perhaps this is a Ruskie thing we got happening here.

Besides, I think the BB boxart looks pretty good. I was one of the original proponents of a perty pitchure on the box way back when KFC er BTC, was arguing that it was what's inside that counts and ever thing. It jess didn't seem right that amidst all the clamor for this whoop-dee-do option and that whirleygig mod, that at the bottom of it all there weren't no fancy pitchure on the box when the UPS feller threw it at the door. Once ya opened up the torn and grease stained UPS wrappings, you was presented with the excitement of someone's reused grocery bag.

Reminded me of Christmas when I was jess a tike on me Grandpop's farm in Ohio. Most boxes were tied with shoe string fer da ribbon. So way I figured it me splurging a good forty some smackers or so, I want to be met with a perty pitchure on the box before I open it up to see if UPS has crushed the insides. :D

[ July 31, 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by mike the wino:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lambshank

A bunch of annoying drivel edited because it was irrelevant.

I will be more than happy to take Lambshanks copy of CM:BB since he obviously will not be happy. :D </font>

Originally posted by Xavier:

[QB]The Я is more like an I in latin alphabet, so it's "Baibaiossa to Beilin".

QB]

Pronounced like 'ya'; not 'eye'.

And, can we discontinue this discussion. The box art is done. It looks aright; we're all more interested in the contents anyway. If the splash screen gets you- as others said mod it or click on the 'New Game' button so quickly you're not looking at it for long. The only reason you would want to keep the box is if you plan on selling an unopened/mint condition copy of CMBB on eBay to some crazed collector- who is looking for another fix beyond Beany Babies.

Hell, I probably won't even get a box in the United States.

There's a box cover? ;) Seriously, all I do with box covers for computer games is tear them open to get at the game, then toss it in the trash. I see it for about 15 seconds total.

As for the Il-2, in Russian it's pronounced "Shturmovik". Actually, it's pronounced more like "Shturmavik,"(at least Moscow dialect) but that would only start bad language habits smile.gif

[ July 31, 2002, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Grisha ]

Despite the whole backwards 'R' issue, I really like the splash screen picture - the ruskies ambushing the german tank. I think it is really beautiful. I would like to use it as my desktop image if it was available somewhere...

Christian

[ July 31, 2002, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Ozzieboy ]