CMBB System Requirements?

Check the FAQ, it might say, but generally I think they go somewhere along these lines: minimum 8meg video card (32mb reccomended) and a 350 mghz processor(but I would hope we are all above 500 by now smile.gif ) In addition, RAM is important, with 64mb definitely the minimum but I would make 128 te minimum, 256 the best.

As for Mac, who can say what convoluted specs they have??

I think Kwazy or Moon said that 32 mb graphics cards would have the textures down sampled one level. Which, assuming this is correct, would make 64 mb the recommended level.

I for one hope I'm wrong as I am sitting with "only" 32 mb.

--

M.

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Check the FAQ, it might say, but generally I think they go somewhere along these lines: minimum 8meg video card (32mb reccomended) and a 350 mghz processor(but I would hope we are all above 500 by now smile.gif ) In addition, RAM is important, with 64mb definitely the minimum but I would make 128 te minimum, 256 the best.

As for Mac, who can say what convoluted specs they have??

Panzer leader where did you get the 350 Mhz from? From what I have heard the processor requirements haven't changed.

Panzerman - remember the CPU speed listed in this thread is only applicable to the PC and not the Mac specifically.

The video card memory/performance will be the biggest difference between the requirements for CMBB and those for CMBO. As mentioned earlier CMBB will downsample on a 32Mb video card, which may not be all that noticeable until you get very close to the textures at level 1. Supposedly it will work with an 8Mb card, but the downsampling will probably be very noticeable and most of the newer display features will need to be off or not supported with this amount of video memory.

CPU and memory-wise CMBB shouldn't be too different from CMBO. 64Mb really should be the minimum to run CMBB and at least 128Mb will probably be recommended. Since memory is fairly cheap this shouldn't be much of a problem. With larger battles and more options more memory is highly desireable. I'm not sure how much of a benefit there will be by going from 128Mb to 256 or more. For some systems there may be benefits (because of the way the OS works or what is actually loaded on the computer in terms of software) to increasing your memory to this level.

CPU-wise there will be more going on graphically with CMBB than CMBO and the CPU will have a part to play in how smooth the graphics are handled (though this will mostly depend on the video adapter installed). If you can play CMBO right now with your CPU, then you should be able to play CMBB with the same CPU. Larger battles will benefit with a faster CPU (turns calculated quicker). More speed is always better and people will have different recommendations as to what the 'minimum' should be. The minimum stated for CMBO is a bit on the optimistic side, but hardly anyone has tried to run CMBO on a (PC) CPU that slow.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Panzerman - remember the CPU speed listed in this thread is only applicable to the PC and not the Mac specifically.

I was just wondering as I only have a 300 Mhz and wont be upgrading any time in the next two or three years. :(

Originally posted by Panzerman:

What kind of system do you have Panzer?

I bet there are many on the board that have components superior to, lets call it, 300 Mhz class computers just lying around.

I for one have a 566 Celeron and a 600 Duron CPU just gathering dust here...

Perhaps they can be put to better use?

--

M.

My biggest problem is cash. And shipping costs wouldn't make it any cheaper. As for my system

its Power Mac G3

300 Mhz (1999 model)

16mb Video card (ATI Rage 128)

with 448mbs of RAM.

It all depends on how much you want for one them.

[ April 01, 2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

My biggest problem is cash. And shipping costs wouldn't make it any cheaper. As for my system

its Power Mac G3

300 Mhz (1999 model)

with 448mbs of RAM.

Ugh. If you had a PC, I would gladly donate my PII 400 CPU and 16mb Diamond Viper to the cause - I am upgrading to a 1.7 AMD and 64MB TNT card this summer.

Originally posted by Poilu:

Greeings,

Is there any word on what the hardware/OS requirements/recommendations would be for this eagerly awaited new package?

Jeff "Poilu" Gringer

While the hardware/OS requirements are still a bit up in the air, it's rumoured that validation of and/or by the Peng Challenge Thread will be necessary to actually utilize the full potential of the game.

Otherwise you just get access to the version that looks like 'Pong' with German and Russian tanks.

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzerman:

its Power Mac G3

300 Mhz (1999 model)

with 448mbs of RAM.

Ugh. If you had a PC, I would gladly donate my PII 400 CPU and 16mb Diamond Viper to the cause - I am upgrading to a 1.7 AMD and 64MB TNT card this summer.</font>

In preparation for BB we have been looking at upgrading my friend has purchased an 1800Mhz AMD Athlon and in a large open battle the calculation time reduced from 2 mins 30 to I think 1 minute 40 seconds. This was an upgrade from a 466 Celeron. We had missed the graphics requirement though...

So we can now save 30 minutes a game which of course means we can start the next game much sooner!

In BB we anticipate larger more open maps so thats why the processor upgrade seemed smart

[ April 03, 2002, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: dieseltaylor ]

cause hey I am only 17, and finally I don't have a job :D

I think it's time you got a job and started paying your own way. Why not earn some money shoveling the snow off driveways this summer? smile.gif

Seriously, if you get a summer job you can probably save up enough for a new computer and a copy of CMBB. Just don't blow any money on candy and ice cream. Or girls.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

I was just wondering as I only have a 300 Mhz and wont be upgrading any time in the next two or three years. :( </font>

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

its Power Mac G3

300 Mhz (1999 model)

with 448mbs of RAM.

Ugh. If you had a PC, I would gladly donate my PII 400 CPU and 16mb Diamond Viper to the cause - I am upgrading to a 1.7 AMD and 64MB TNT card this summer.</font>

Originally posted by AnonymousOxide:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

its Power Mac G3

300 Mhz (1999 model)

with 448mbs of RAM.

The last I heard, if CMBO runs on your machine then CMBB will run too. Well... maybe if you can run CMBO okay with those 3rd party HiRes mods in place.

I'm wondering about how long the AI will have to think between turns (on my aging 300mhz mac). BTS has thought of a gazillion changes to make CMBB super-realistic. We'll have to unlearn all out gamey bad habit from CMBB.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

cause hey I am only 17, and finally I don't have a job :D

I think it's time you got a job and started paying your own way. Why not earn some money shoveling the snow off driveways this summer? smile.gif

Seriously, if you get a summer job you can probably save up enough for a new computer and a copy of CMBB. Just don't blow any money on candy and ice cream. Or girls.</font>