"Two Steps of Death" -thread

Hmm..I see I (Z2) got a couple of mentions.

I'll see what I can recall about my games:

Arch enemies vs someone: It was a dark and gloomy night...and remains so about T6 or 7 I think

April's Fool vs someone else: He killed franz and Herman the swine!! He'll pay for that.....if he ever advances far enough for us to actually shoot at him!! Marko's playing it cool and cautious in this one, while my boys, such of them as there are, are playing cards and drinking schnapps while they're waiting.

Mechanised Bushmen: Bloody [CENSORED} is the only thing keeping him in the game! :( Oh well - my hard-work huge advantage has melted away to merely significant about T17 or 18.

Dies airily (or whatever) vs Wojtek as above - there's more tracers in thsi game than a FBI "Carnivore" control room. Tehre's guns going BANG, tanks going CLUNK, [CENSORED] going [CENSORED] - there's mad infantry rushes, troops going left, right, forwards and backwards, there's artillery, theres......well it's quite exciting and there's lots of carnage on T17 or 18

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mike:

Hmm..I see I (Z2) got a couple of mentions.

I'll see what I can recall about my games:

[sNIP] Marko's playing it cool and cautious in this one, while my boys, such of them as there are, are playing cards and drinking schnapps while they're waiting. [sNIP]

Hey Mike, it's a long way to Tipperary...err...Albachten/Munster according to my map. Unfortunately allied tanks lack the advantage of engines designed by Porsche... :cool: :D

-23 ItK 61

Wow, results and situational reports are pouring in.

Besides that I'm actually getting (some) e-mails giving both valuable hints and morale bolstering feedback! I've avoided commenting the scenarios as much as possible but can't hold my breath forever :eek: .

It seems that "Dies Irae" ("Day of Hatred" for those sleeping through their latin lessons just like I did) has expectedly been the bloodiest of the FK&C encounters this far. Most frustrating one is hard to spot as it seems everybody has a personal favourite in that category.

Keep the games runnin' lads ;) ...

-T

Originally posted by Traject0ry:

Wow, results and situational reports are pouring in.

Besides that I'm actually getting (some) e-mails giving both valuable hints and morale bolstering feedback! I've avoided commenting the scenarios as much as possible but can't hold my breath forever :eek: .

It seems that "Dies Irae" ("Day of Hatred" for those sleeping through their latin lessons just like I did) has expectedly been the bloodiest of the FK&C encounters this far. Most frustrating one is hard to spot as it seems everybody has a personal favourite in that category.

Keep the games runnin' lads ;) ...

-T

I'm not sure, and I'm too lazy to do a web search, but "dies irae", might be better translated "days of wrath" and that is the name of a portion that is usually present in most Requiems. Just guessing, but I bet it has to deal with a section about suffering for those who are still bad boys? Just a bit of a wake up call for those listening? I don't know, I'm not catholic and don't have that finely tuned sense of guilt...

btw, bloody good job on the scens.... for whoever wrote them. For the longest time I've avoided scens b/c any one of the following reasons (poor briefing so you didn't know your full objective, poor setup conditions/reinforcements arriving (panthers spawning in the middle of a company anyone?), etc) I've found these scens to be excellent. Of course, my opinions might change when i'm more on the receiving end of some of the goodies that my nme's have.

Originally posted by ryddle:

[snip]I'm not sure, and I'm too lazy to do a web search, but "dies irae", might be better translated "days of wrath" [snip]

redface.gif

Well, you don't have to translate it to Finnish before attempting to figure it out in English :D . To further add to my defense in a matter clearly concerning religion I have never been part of any religous sect, cult or whatever you like to call them. Author of the scenario could have known better. Boyd is a member of several cults, sects or whatever you like to call them :D:D

Originally posted by ryddle:

[snip]btw, bloody good job on the scens.... for whoever wrote them. For the longest time I've avoided scens b/c any one of the following reasons (poor briefing so you didn't know your full objective, poor setup conditions/reinforcements arriving (panthers spawning in the middle of a company anyone?), etc) I've found these scens to be excellent. Of course, my opinions might change when i'm more on the receiving end of some of the goodies that my nme's have.

We have done our best with these. One of the aspects almost completely ignored was balance as on most occasions the troop rosters were the main historical sources of the author. To add atmosphere the briefings are based on actual orders received by the historical commanders/troops thus allowing a margin of error in knowledge of enemy positions, number and quality. Sometimes these errors were sources of great grief to the troops deployed.

The idea is to reproduce the problems and challenges faced by field commanders in both armies. The air arm plays a large part in many of these but it was buggering hard to find any encounters at all that were not strongly affected by either strong effort of air arm or huge number of artillery rounds used. "Down unders" also did a fine job in attempting to cover something else than the initial landing period or the Ardennes which both have received proper attention from excellent scenario authors.

I hope that the rest of the lads are happy with them too. I'd also like to receive possible further compliments via e-mail as I'm not very good in handling such matters publicly :rolleyes: . Post flames here though. I handle those much better ;) .

Play, kill, enjoy, make friends and remember to feed your pets and families!

I'm off to watch "Band of Brothers". Might pop into a bookstore on the way to acquire a copy of "Latin-English dictionary" as I finally seem to have some need for one ;) ...

-T

Dear Traject0ry ,

Let me start this missive by stating I hate you. I hate your mother, your father and mostly I hate whoever designed these sceanrios. It is a well known fact that the German forces were far superior than the Allies in all aspects (just ask me and I will verify it). But these scenarios attempt to overlook this obvious fact and force me to use things like planning, supporting fire, and ...*shudders*..."tactics". Should I lose any of the scenarios, I blame you. ;)

On to the real updates:

W2vsA2-I thinks dis one is "Dies Horribly" or somefink lik dat. T8 moving along thanks to my oppenent shooting emails in the morning, thereby forcing me to reply and miss work. Well, I don't really MISS it but I do show up late. :D

W2vsB2-"Arch Enemies" Shuffling through the dark, bumping toes on hard pointy rocks, much swearing. Politely asked oppenent to light 3-4 vehicles on fire to light the way. Gamey bastiche declined this most simple request. T5 or 6, no contact.

W2vsC2-"Mechanized Bushman" Kuma put the puppy down and send me a turn. Oh wait, what's that on my screen..it's Kuma's DAMN DOG scouting my lines. :eek: Very sneaky, indeed.

W2vsD2-"April Fools" Don't want to give away forces but he has declined my reasonable request for an immediate surrender in the face of my superior Germanic hordes. Now I must crush him...or at least try. ;)

IF I have mixed up battles/ oppenents, sorry but I am at work and doing this from memory. Taking off for Seattle this weekend so no turns from me 'til Sunday night. More posts if I am winning, if losing I will be drowning my sorrows and sobbing in the dark.

[ August 14, 2002, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: mike the wino ]

Originally posted by mike the wino:

W2vsA2-I thinks dis one is "Dies Horribly" or somefink lik dat. T8 moving along thanks to my oppenent shooting emails in the morning, thereby forcing me to reply and miss work. Well, I don't really MISS it but I do show up late. :D

Sorry, just trying to keep things rolling tongue.gif

And trying to play as much turns as I can before my trip to States (NY & Dallas) starting next Friday the 23rd and lasting for a whole week. During that time I'll try to use my hotmail account (so do not worry my friends, you still do have something more important than life to do that week :D ) but I'll inform all four of you when we should switch to that one.

All in all, everythings rolling pretty OK excluding that somebody is actually shooting back (you know who you are) which was something we were never told during the tea-time.

All the best to all the gals...errr pals that share these moments of Glory with me. :cool:

Maybe I should cut down on coffee? :eek: tongue.gif

-23 ItK 61

[ August 15, 2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: 23 ItK 61 ]

Update.

Mechanized Bushmen W2-C2

- File 8 sent.

- Nothing in sight(s). Except me fooling with my [CENSORED]. :( Although my scout puppy Leffe is doing marvellous job by laying slide mines behind enemy lines :D

April's Fool X2-C2

- File 18 sent.

- Oh, what was that? Oh, it was only YAGRA (Yet Another Germie Running Away). Overdose of lead I suppose tongue.gif

Dies Irae Y2-C2

- File 22 sent.

- Ye Gods, there is LOADS of those guys coming! No wonder ppl are talking about one of the bloodiest scenarios here. Well, I just have to throw more water on the sauna rocks smile.gif

Arch Enemies Z2-C2

- File 28 sent.

- Nothing nothing. Fallschirmpuppies didn't approve my suggestion of them standing up and waving their hands so I could shoot- err, SEE them ;)

/kuma

Dear Traject0ry ,

Let me start this missive by stating I hate you. I hate your mother, your father and mostly I hate whoever designed these sceanrios. It is a well known fact that the German forces were far superior than the Allies in all aspects (just ask me and I will verify it). But these scenarios attempt to overlook this obvious fact and force me to use things like planning, supporting fire, and ...*shudders*..."tactics". Should I lose any of the scenarios, I blame you.[snipped the Graemlin]

What an incident as I also hate most of the people above :D . I have sadly noted the same ignorance of the ÃœberGerman superiority in the scenarios :( . Perhaps the Teutons will fare better in the next tournament thus allowing complete lack in planning and use of tactics on the axis side ;) .

On to the real updates:

W2vsA2-I thinks dis one is "Dies Horribly" or somefink lik dat. T8 moving along thanks to my oppenent shooting emails in the morning, thereby forcing me to reply and miss work. Well, I don't really MISS it but I do show up late.[snip went the Graemlin]

W2vsB2-"Arch Enemies" Shuffling through the dark, bumping toes on hard pointy rocks, much swearing. Politely asked oppenent to light 3-4 vehicles on fire to light the way. Gamey bastiche declined this most simple request. T5 or 6, no contact.

W2vsC2-"Mechanized Bushman" Kuma put the puppy down and send me a turn. Oh wait, what's that on my screen..it's Kuma's DAMN DOG scouting my lines. [snip said the "eek" Graemlin...] Very sneaky, indeed.

W2vsD2-"April Fools" Don't want to give away forces but he has declined my reasonable request for an immediate surrender in the face of my superior Germanic hordes. Now I must crush him...or at least try. ;)

IF I have mixed up battles/ oppenents, sorry but I am at work and doing this from memory. Taking off for Seattle this weekend so no turns from me 'til Sunday night. More posts if I am winning, if losing I will be drowning my sorrows and sobbing in the dark.

We would prefer to hear from you even if the scenarios take a wicked turn as this seems to bring out the most poetic aspects of the CM:BO players tongue.gif .

[snipped the rest of the stupid Graemlins as I'm allowed only eight per post! :eek: :mad: ]

Originally posted by "Sergei":

[snip]Maybe I should cut down on coffee?[snip]

How about cutting down the enemies lad tongue.gif ?

Originally posted by Kuma of Finland:

Update.

Mechanized Bushmen W2-C2

- File 8 sent.

- Nothing in sight(s). Except me fooling with my [CENSORED]. Although my scout puppy Leffe is doing marvellous job by laying slide mines behind enemy lines

April's Fool X2-C2

- File 18 sent.

- Oh, what was that? Oh, it was only YAGRA (Yet Another Germie Running Away). Overdose of lead I suppose

Dies Irae Y2-C2

- File 22 sent.

- Ye Gods, there is LOADS of those guys coming! No wonder ppl are talking about one of the bloodiest scenarios here. Well, I just have to throw more water on the sauna rocks

Arch Enemies Z2-C2

- File 28 sent.

- Nothing nothing. Fallschirmpuppies didn't approve my suggestion of them standing up and waving their hands so I could shoot- err, SEE them

/kuma

Looks like things are moving forwards or backwards on almost every front.

-T

W2 here.

As previously mentioned leaving friday morning and not back til Monday night. I know I said Sunday earlier but I didn't book flight and didn't remember return flight.

I would like to accomadate schedules and would like to know active gaming hours of my oppenents to speed up these games. Mikko mentioned a deadline and I would hate to drage this out. If Marko, Rich, Kuma, and Paul could a) tell when they normally play, B) time corelates to the time index of this post. Here/ now it is 8/15, 10:20 pm. c) what are the best days to get in and knock out a couple of files.

I would like to accomadate schedules and would like to know active gaming hours of my oppenents to speed up these games. Mikko mentioned a deadline and I would hate to drage this out. If Marko, Rich, Kuma, and Paul could a) tell when they normally play, B) time corelates to the time index of this post. Here/ now it is 8/15, 10:20 pm. c) what are the best days to get in and knock out a couple of files.

Hi W2,

a) Usually every day the whole day smile.gif

B) In your local time (I assume you are on Pasific time zone GMT -8/EST -3) from 9pm to around 11am~12am. (So this means ~ 8am to 10-11pm my local time)

c) basically all days fine for me

On week 35, however, I'm in states and the times for that week are around 7am to 4pm your local time.

-23 ItK 61

Mike the Wino aka puny opponent W2:

I'm normally playing on weekdays every now and then. Weekends I usually skip as I'm not always in front of my computer (yes, I do have a life! ;) )

Although situation @work (overtime etc.) and @home (sick daughter or puppy etc.) do represent a surprise potential here.

But I try to beat all of my opponents as often as possible. How about that bending over for that corporal punishment we talked about earlier? File 10 already sent out :D

/kuma

No worries lads. No deadlines will be issued in this tournament. The idea is that you participated because you WANT TO PLAY and if RL gathers troubles to one of my most enthusiastic lads the rest will have to bear with such a fact.

I trust that you can communicate about the proper send rates and such between yourselves (having a clear example here above). I don't mind if this folds up nicely soon but again I also understand that there are other things in one's life than CM:BO. Thus no deadline.

If somebody seems to be lagging severely behind it is possible to replace that player with a willing victim from the reserves who would CONTINUE THE ONGOING GAMES but I sincerely hope that such drastic measures will never become necessary.

-T

[ditd as I hav problms with th "" ky]

[ August 16, 2002, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Traject0ry ]

Update.

Mechanized Bushmen W2-C2

- File 10 sent.

- Some Germies taking a sun bath or then they've fallen into Leffe's slide mines tongue.gif

April's Fool X2-C2

- File 20 sent.

- Enemy throwing some 81 mm buns at my men. Good, they're hungry! A true para eats iron and outputs chain :D

Dies Irae Y2-C2

- File 24 sent.

- Bloody scenario is now even bloodier. And will get even more! Grrrr, says Leffe the war puppy! :cool:

Arch Enemies Z2-C2

- File 38 sent.

- Fallschirmpuppies not on sight. But their grandad's and 15-yo kids are. Conscript militia breaking WR in all running distances ;)

Off for weekend. See ya!

/kuma

X2 Checking in...

Archy-Enemy A2 File 49 sent... I keep killing 'em and they keep coming. Quite efficient really. ;)

Mechy-bushy B2 File 33 sent... "plink, plink" Oh... and "PLINK" smile.gif

April's Fool C2 File 21 sent... No clue what's happening here. I see some stuff that scares me.

Dies Irae D2 File 63 sent. Wow, who would have thought that a war sim could be so bloody? MG fire from the first turns to now. It will be interesting to see how CMBB would change a scen like this with all the full auto going on.

Cheers!

-r

A result, we have a result...and hte result is....[drum roll][/drum roll]

In the matter of the game of CMBO between Mike (Z2) and Marko (A2)

the result...

is....

A DRAW!!

:D

Axis 46 points, allies 43 (and then only cos of his gamey last minute flag rush with gun-disabled churchills and crews!! lol)

Originally posted by Mike:

A result, we have a result...and hte result is....[drum roll][/drum roll]

In the matter of the game of CMBO between Mike (Z2) and Marko (A2)

the result...

is....

A DRAW!!

Axis 46 points, allies 43 (and then only cos of his gamey last minute flag rush with gun-disabled churchills and crews!! lol)

Teaches you to shoot at the poor crews with everything you got :D .

Nice game lads and hope you had fun (even though the gamey crews stole the show :rolleyes: ).

-T

Result X2 v A2 (Ryddle v. Marko)

73 to 27, Axis Major Victory! Now if I could only get my other games under control. ;)

btw, I've just adopted Unt. Nolte, who was the hero of the day. I would post a picture of this cute little fella, however, I'm not sure whether that would be considered a spoiler for anyone else who's playing Arch Enemies.

Cheers,

-r

[ August 18, 2002, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: ryddle ]

The Schmegeg Report:

Allied D versus the Hated Axis W

Allied D 46 Axis W 54 :(

Had they not put rocks in the snowballs it would of been a fair fight :mad: Don't they realize someone could of lost an eye :eek: I was treed by Timberwolves during the entire encounter and cannot be held responsible :rolleyes: Quick question doesn't Finland have special homes for people like Mikko and his cronies? :D

Originally posted by schmegeg:

The Schmegeg Report:

Allied D versus the Hated Axis W

Allied D 46 Axis W 54 :(

Had they not put rocks in the snowballs it would of been a fair fight :mad: Don't they realize someone could of lost an eye :eek: I was treed by Timberwolves during the entire encounter and cannot be held responsible :rolleyes:

Such unsportsmanship like conduct calls for severe punishment:

"Hated Axis W" will, in case of a point draw, automatically lose his place in the finals IF he does not redeem himself by being kind to elder people, animals and children. That is probably THE most severe punishment known to mankind :D .

Originally posted by schmegeg:

Quick question doesn't Finland have special homes for people like Mikko and his cronies? :D

In Finland your proper place is shown to you by the community. If you are strong you get to wrestle with the polar bears, fast ones catch and gut the wolves, those with dexterity and craftmanship build the igloos and kayaks.

Intelligent fellows like me eat all sorts of exotic plantlife and fungi, drink vodka and commune with the spirits. This also provides me with an ability to connect in the 'net and send eerie messages to people all around the world like SEND MORE SCENARIOS or GET THE BLOODY GAMES FINISHED . I can also commune with the martians, Elvis, Kennedy family and Winona Ryder (though she never returns my "calls") but only when completely sloshed.

-T