GameSpot Review Out (Take 2)

This is GOOD considering the fact that gamespot usually loathes anything that does not run the new Quake engine and features guts and gore all over the place.
I can't speak for GameSpot since I don't work directly for them, nor can I speak for Tom Chick, but I can speak as a professional freelance gaming journalist who's written dozens and dozens of articles for GameSpot.

What you say is totally, demonstrably innacurate. GameSpot consistently provides some of the most in-depth and unbiased gaming coverage out there. (I say that as someone who was a fan of the site before I ever even wrote for them.) They cover all game genres on all platforms, not just bloody PC action games built around the Q3 engine, though they of course do cover those, too smile.gif

who's this tom chick?
I don't have the pleasure of knowing Tom, but I know he's a veteran gaming journalist and a damn good one at that.

although it is a bit odd that a mainstream gaming site has anyone that is even remotely knowledgeable about wargames.
Not at all: to my knowledge, as an industry veteran, the major gaming sites and magazines all have editors and/or freelancers such as myself who are grogs, military buffs, wargamers and/or CM fans. (For example, I've written at least five professional articles about CMBO and CMBB, and more for fan sites like Manx's old Combat Missions.)

Anyway, a great review from Tom Chick of a superb game smile.gif

[ October 30, 2002, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Gremlin ]

Haw haw. Deanco's been beggin' for that mousewheel thing for about as long as I've been begging for random paniced civilians on city maps!

One thing I don't understand, didn't the reviewer read the grog flame threads on this board? How could they give it a 10 in gameplay when CMBB's so deeply deeply flawed!

;):D

Gamespot IMO is one of the very few gaming sites that provide decent reviews.

I really like it because (like some other US mags) it doesn't seem to be targeted at 15 year-old FPS fans like our game mags here in Germany.

And I usually get the feeling that the guys there actually know what they are talking about.

It is comforting to know that Deanco too wants the "mouse-wheel zoom" feature. I just don't understand why BTS doesn't take advantage of the mousewheel. I just don't understand...

In fact, I think that CM is the only thing I do on the computer, whether it be work, fun, internet, games, applications, I mean THE ONLY THING that I can't use my wheel to make it easier.

[ October 30, 2002, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

Tom Chick's a good guy. I don't know him personally but I've run across him in forums and become a devoted fan of the 'Shoot Club' column he writes for an online site. He plays all sorts of games and many of them might be described as 'underdog' favorites. On the other hand he's into some very popular games as well but I wouldn't call him a flight simmer. He's definitely a seasoned journalist and reviewer. Battlefront was lucky to get him assigned to this one.

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

It is comforting to know that Deanco too wants the "mouse-wheel zoom" feature. I just don't understand why BTS doesn't take advantage of the mousewheel. I just don't understand...

Do you think it could have to do with that the game was programmed on a mac? Do macs have a mouse wheel?

In fact, I think that CM is the only thing I do on the computer, whether it be work, fun, internet, games, applications, I mean THE ONLY THING that I can't use my wheel to make it easier.

Your employer obviously didn't standardize on Lotus in the past.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Do you think it could have to do with that the game was programmed on a mac? Do macs have a mouse wheel?</font>

I think the reviewer might have made a mistake. Somewhere in the middle of the review he says something about Germans having optics superiority, especially in low-light conditions. I clearly remember the manual stating the oposit, that German optics are poor in low-light conditions.

Can someone clearify?

Well, from an optics points of view (I feel qualified to comment here because I'm into telescopes) anytime the primary (main)lens of a telescope is a little larger than the human eye you are going to have better low light viewing. The larger lens will concentrate more light into one place than your eye can. Even a cheap pair of binoculars will give you far better night vision than the naked eye. If you don't believe me grab a pair of binoculars and go outside and look at the stars some night than compare what you can see to what you can see without them. However, if the primary is close to the same size and there is high magification in use, you will have worse night vision.

Well it's also THE ONLY GAME I've bought in the last 5 or 6 years that doesn't allow you to set the resolution in-game. I guess that's my perennial #1 CM annoyance.

I clearly remember the manual stating the oposit, that German optics are poor in low-light conditions.
From p. 216 of the US version manual:

"Good magnification allows for better spotting and gunfire accuracy at long range, except in low-light conditions where the greater need for light of high-magnification optics becomes a hindrance, reducing their effectiveness relative to [a] lower-power lens."

[ October 31, 2002, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Stacheldraht ]

Yea that's right. They better give respect were respect is due. I've been playing computer games since they first came out. Yep, nothin’ quite like playing Karatekon on an IBM 8086 with a CGA 4 colored monitor. Without a doubt CMBO & CMBB are the some of the best damn games I've created!

Thank you Battlefront!

Head

Geez bout bloody time a "real" review cam eout. I was getting very tired of Teen Steam gaming columns giving the game a 6/10 cause you can dance to the beat but the "grafix sux".

I will be interested to see what CGW and PC Gamer hand out.

Looks like another Wargame of the Year(x?) could be in the works.