Favorite view level ?

Have you tried fighting the entire battle from the grunt's level? A fellow posted one time that this was the only way to play and that it made for a much tighter game and prevented us from taking advantage over the computer player. I agree with the philosophy of playing at only Level 1 for inf and 2 for tanks, but, man is it hard! For one thing it becomes extraordinarily difficult to manage your way around the battlefield, as you can only hop from one unit to another (using the + and - keys) instead of skying up to figure out where you want to visit next. Makes for tuff long distance orders too, as it is very risky to give a move order to a place over a ridgeline which you can't see. It is possible to get binocular views (using the [ and ] keys, but only from co's tanks, mortars, etc. I have played games like this, generally small ones, and it makes the game very exciting. Try giving yourself only one playback too, or none at all! "Hey, who blasted that panther?!" Select one co as yourself, and all of a sudden self preservation takes on a whole new meaning. I do find it difficult to play an entire game this way, and have never been able to do it against another player, wouldn't even attempt it, but you really should give it a try for realism sake and especially if the computer fails to challenge you fully. Cheers!

I usually play between levels 2-3 for my decision making. When the plan's being carried out, half the time I go to level one, seeing how the grunts go to work. I'll flip to 2 just to see over my AFVs as they crush soda cans. To see more I'll go to 3. Since I usually like to play at small levels of company level or lower, these are the levels I usually stay in to see the details and the nice lookin' mods...

Level 1 is cool for viewing, but against an actual tcp-pbem opponent... seems dangerous. Level 2 is more informative, but as said above, it's easy to lose track of the "big picture". I kind of like the idea from Kiltie Lad about playing a small qb against the AI like that.

I almost never use the over-head view except when I get carried away with the view arrows. smile.gif

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: tenfive2 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kiltie Lad:

Have you tried fighting the entire battle from the grunt's level? A fellow posted one time that this was the only way to play and that it made for a much tighter game and prevented us from taking advantage over the computer player. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're talking about the "True Combat Rules"

You can find the full rules here:

http://home.nexgo.de/tcmhq/International.html

You have to click on "Reports" and then go to the "Rules" section.

I don't have the nerve to try it myself...

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: Krinks ]

The level 1 rules have also been called the Iron Man Rules (Franko's). Just ended a QB using them. Now into two games using them, one vs AI one vs pbem opponent for the first time. I posted the rules I use in another thread about a week ago. One crucial part of the rules is that you cannot click on an enemy unit -- ever(ok maybe if he is 5m away in open ground). You can use the LOS tool however. Also toggle off any hotkeys that will help you know stuff you should not know about the enemy such as detailed hits.

You can only view from where your units are located and at the level they are located. So this makes 2 story houses key objectives. Also only HQ and FO, snipers and gunners on tanks and field guns can use zoom. 2X for HQ and 4X for the others.

Definitely cheating to fly around the battle field at any level. I use some modifications: such as using level 5 to position a unit in a house and the like. But only for that particular position. Also use level 7 or 8 like a battle field map. But only for getting bearings not for moving. Mostly I use common sense. What should the unit be able to do/see realistically.

I double dog dare you to try a company size quick battle using Iron Man. Its a whole new game.

4 with one zoom is my fav for watching movies. The angle is a little nicer than 3.

1 is pretty important to use to get the "lay of the land" and see all those nooks and crannies. Much easier to see if you also turn off trees temporarily.

5 and 6 are best for precise movements, when you want to make dead sure you stay out splotches of terrain that slow your units. Or when you want to get right to the edge of that patch of woods.

I tried a QB with Franco's rules last night.

That's a serious amount of work! I could only maintain it for about 5 turns before I received a direct order from my higher consciousness to revert to my god's-eye view.

Man, there were German's everywhere!

:eek:

Dear TenFive,

You may want to use level 7 or 8 to get your bearings every couple of turns. Also when you look around and see your own guys it is ok to select them and then tab to their position. I find it very interesting to discover my own difficulty in estimating where things actually are in relation to one another. At the end of a game on the white results screen when you can check out the enemy and all, I have been quite surprised as to the distance and bearing relationship between objects. JUST MORE FUN !!

Re: Ned Lud's Post

You have a computer???!!! Why, when I was a young gamer, we didn't even have a computer!

We had some rubbish, an old extension cord, some plastic soldiers.

True, it wasn't very satisfying.

I forget my point.

Thank you.

Level one, tab key, and zoom x2 for the tanks. You are so placed exactly on the top of the turret. Without zoom for infantry. Level 2 for the Hq that are supposed to be linked with the general overview of the battle with radio or runners. A quick jump to 5 when i need to plot into buildings to get the exact position near the outside wall.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

Dear TenFive,

You may want to use level 7 or 8 to get your bearings every couple of turns. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> NO NO NO! Print out a 7 or 8 map before the battle, but you may not use it during the scenario. That, of course, would be cheating, lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> JUST MORE FUN !!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES YES YES! This is most fun way to play CM, even PBEM, if you can trust your opponent.

Dear Verge,

I just wanted to explain why I play using level 7 or 8. I treat the view like a map that has been updated by the company staff,

you know, those guys in the HQ. They get reports from radios and runners and the CO gets an updated map. I let the computer(company staff) so I dont have to do it by hand. I dont do any other game operation by hand so why should I do this. smile.gif

silvio manuel said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I'm usually in 3 or 4 as well. I tend to not use view 1 enough, and thus miss some important small elevation/terrain changes that you'll only see at the 'grunt's eye view.' <none of my pbem opponents heard that! ...i hope<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would that be the kind of important elevation changes that would affect the survivability of a pair of Shermans, by any chance? ;)

Soz silvio :D Hope the house move is all fine and dandy.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PDVincit:

Re: Ned Lud's Post

You have a computer???!!! Why, when I was a young gamer, we didn't even have a computer!

We had some rubbish, an old extension cord, some plastic soldiers.

True, it wasn't very satisfying.

I forget my point.

Thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Consider yourself Lucky!!!

You lucky lucky lucky lucky bstrd. You had plastic!! Plastic I ask you!! :D

We were so poor that we lived in a cardboard box and played soldiers with matchsticks my father had hand carved from the twigs of the trees in the local park.

You young ones today don't know you were born!!!

H

;)

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Holien ]

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Holien ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

One crucial part of the rules is that you cannot click on an enemy unit -- ever(ok maybe if he is 5m away in open ground). You can use the LOS tool however<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm curious as to why you can't click on the other sides units, obviously if my virtual soldiers can "see" what the unit is composed of I should be able to as well.

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: deejaykaotic ]