Halftrack Crew Abandons Vehicle Due To MG Fire

I couldn't believe what I saw...

I had purposely and very carefully put my halftrack in a position where it could fire on the enemy infantry while still maintaining an escape route if another enemy vehicle came along. Well, sure enough my German opponent moved his tank from behind a building and starts firing the mg. He never fired the main gun as the turrett was still swinging around to get a bead on me but the lone fire from the mg alone was enough to make my regular halftrack crew abandon the vehicle and dive for cover.

Can you believe this? They were 200 or so meters away with an escape route and they never bothered to try to escape. None of the crew sustained injuries from the mg...they just bailed.

I guess I can chalk this up to one of those random events you sometimes see. Sometimes your soldiers will just flat out let you down....

I didn't know either that a crew can run away without taking casualties or at least damage to the vehicle. I suppose the key here is, the crew just decided that a Panzer was no good for them and so they rushed away. Maybe not very reasonably.

Was the halftrack green or something?

Dorosh, 200 meters hardly can be defined as "close range".

Originally posted by Sergei:

[snips]

Since it's 100 metres short of the battlesight range on the dear old SLR, I rather think it can. It would be hard not to count it as "close range" for anything other than thrown or projected grenades or weapons firing pistol bullets.

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by Sergei:

I didn't know either that a crew can run away without taking casualties or at least damage to the vehicle. I suppose the key here is, the crew just decided that a Panzer was no good for them and so they rushed away. Maybe not very reasonably.

Was the halftrack green or something?

What John said.

Also, I don't have the penetration specs near to hand, but is there really a difference in MG penetrating power on armour at 50 metres as opposed to 200 metres?

Well since I'm the culprit...

I can confirm the observation, the Pz.Kw.V was distracted by distant enemy infantry while it was moving behind the building, when it turned the corner and made the halftrack it began swinging the turret around from the infantry target toward the M5 and fired its hull MG.

Now, I'm not sure how much this might have figured into it, but the Pz.Kw.V had a slight elevation advantage. Not a lot, but perhaps sufficient to allow the MG stream to hit the M5 above the forward armor line and into the compartment. Also, psychologically the sudden appearance of the Pz.Kw.V, and the M5 crew not really having enough time to back out of harms way before that long barrel was going to draw a bead on it might have played into the moral level of the halftrack crew also. Not sure how the CM AI calculates that precisely.

Dunno how you feel about it, but I suppose if I were in an M5 and a Panther burst out from behind a building firing an MG at me or maybe into my vehicle and there wasn't enough time to back away, I'd probably high tail it over the side also. As the ole saying goes. Discretion is the better part of valor. I figure that much is fairly realistic. The part that is the game is, in reality the Panther would have put a shell into the M5 even with the crew bailing out.

[ August 17, 2002, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]