Been thinking about Camera Angle

And I have to say that the angle +1 (hitting shift-a one time) seems to be a much better angle at all elevations. You are not starting down so much, can always see the line of the horizon, and elevation differences seem more pronounced.

I know it has been discussed a bit, but I'd really like to see the angle +1 either the standard view, or else have the angle be lockable.

How was it in CMBO? Was the angle just a tad more like CMBB's with angle +1? If so, what was the reason for the change? I am not trying to argue, but I can't think of a good reason for the more downward looking camera, especially since maps and contact distances seem to be greater than in CMBO.

Thoughts?

(Oh and BTS! Fix or do somefink!)

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

Actually the default camera angle in CMBB is higher, not lower, than in CMBO.

That is an issue of semantics, right? If horizon line is 0 degrees, looking down ten degrees would actually be lower, yes, at -10? So now it is around what, -45' or so? and with one Shift-A it would be -35'. So, -45' is LWER than -35. If CMBO is -35' than CMBB is LOWER at 45'.

Something like that, yes. Towards the ground is lower, towards the sky is higher.

According to Steve the camera angle was raised

because the maps are bigger, although in QBs they really aren't much bigger. Making the shift+a/z adjustments sticky would be ideal.

[ November 09, 2002, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

And I have to say that the angle +1 (hitting shift-a one time) seems to be a much better angle at all elevations. You are not starting down so much, can always see the line of the horizon, and elevation differences seem more pronounced.

I know it has been discussed a bit, but I'd really like to see the angle +1 either the standard view, or else have the angle be lockable.

How was it in CMBO? Was the angle just a tad more like CMBB's with angle +1? If so, what was the reason for the change? I am not trying to argue, but I can't think of a good reason for the more downward looking camera, especially since maps and contact distances seem to be greater than in CMBO.

Thoughts?

(Oh and BTS! Fix or do somefink!)

I totally agree. The view 1 right now doesn't make sense. What you gain is sight in back of your tank...and who needs that? By hitting Shif-A once, you are back to what CMBO used to be which is a better 1st person perspective. Not only does it allow you a better view of things in front of you, it brings the player back into the action a bit more. The way it is now, I feel slightly "distanced" from the battle when watching in what should be 1st person.

I lied.

Actually, I do have something to add. ;> After playing around for a few minutes with the +10o angle (didn't know you could do that), it got me thinking. It seems that in view position "1" at the +10, you have the perspective of a standing man, ~6' off the ground. The camera seems to be about the level of truck windows and the top of Panzer decks.

Could we set "1" to be the position of a crouching or prone infantryman? I mean, have a camera angle that is TRULY low to the ground. Lying on the ground gives a whole different perspective on the power of an oncoming tank vs standing erect. Part of the thrill of CM is the cinematic quality of the battles, and to be able to select the viewpoint of a crouching infantryman as a JS-2 rumbles towards you... could be incredible.

What do you think?

Chris

Originally posted by istari:

Could we set "1" to be the position of a crouching or prone infantryman? I mean, have a camera angle that is TRULY low to the ground. Lying on the ground gives a whole different perspective on the power of an oncoming tank vs standing erect. Part of the thrill of CM is the cinematic quality of the battles, and to be able to select the viewpoint of a crouching infantryman as a JS-2 rumbles towards you... could be incredible.

This is an interesting notion. While there is much to be said for a view from the height of a standing, or at least hunched over, man, I think it would be great to be able to view from the prone position also.

BTW, on the whole down angle thing, I support those who have expressed a desire to have that player defineable. But I will also pass along something I noticed recently. I had always played in 800X600 before and had the aggravating problem described here. Then for a while I started using 1280X1024 and noticed that I was able to see all the way out to the horizon in all oblique views. For various reasons, I didn't much like having my monitor set to 1280X1024, so I switched down to 1024X768. In that setting, I can now see the horizon in all oblique views except 5, which is okay by me. YMMV.

Michael

Wait, wait, wait. I agree that a camera position down at a prone level would be dramatic. Orson Welles. Citizen Kane. You bet.

But the main, default position (not angle) of the View 1 camera needs to be whatever position defines line of sight (LOS). If the to-hit determination is made from chest high to chest high, we need the camera to be chest high as we seek covered trails through local dips and depressions. And mein gott in himmel, give me the most accurate camera position to use in my desperate guessing whether that is or is not a keyhole to that distant patch of woods where the opfor undoubtedly has secreted an AT gun of supernatural hitting ability.

Drama good. But figuring out LOS is job 1.

-- Lt. Kije

I do agree completely with the camera angle default being returned to what it was in CMBO.

[ November 10, 2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Lt. Kije ]

Originally posted by Stryker:

I would think, that since this a true 3D game, we should be able to set any angle/position for the camera. Why we are limited to a few 'preset' options has always been unclear to me.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but you can change the camera angle with shift-A and shift-Z. The problem for me is that once you change to another height, the angle reverts to the default. And the default is a less than optimal choice for me. (though it's probably fine for many other people, taste is personal). So I just wish the camera angle would be remembered when I set it, instead of always reverting.

Originally posted by istari:

Could we set "1" to be the position of a crouching or prone infantryman?

In the case of a crouching or prone infantryman, that's exactly what I'd want.

In every case, I'd prefer that "1" see exactly what the unit sees- id est, I have his eyeballs, his viewpoint, his los. Completely 1st person.

Hitting "1" inevitably gets me a view of his back, with a bunch of trees that are right behind him, and I can see nothing.

Eden

Originally posted by Lt. Kije:

But the main, default position (not angle) of the View 1 camera needs to be whatever position defines line of sight (LOS). If the to-hit determination is made from chest high to chest high, we need the camera to be chest high as we seek covered trails through local dips and depressions. And mein gott in himmel, give me the most accurate camera position to use in my desperate guessing whether that is or is not a keyhole to that distant patch of woods where the opfor undoubtedly has secreted an AT gun of supernatural hitting ability.

-- Lt. Kije

Yes. Exactly. One more vote.

Originally posted by Baetis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lt. Kije:

Yes. Exactly. One more vote.</font>

My favorite camera height is "View 3" and has been since CMBO. That is the view I most wish the Camera Angle could have the +1 to, but it would need to be sticky, because with the larger maps, I often need to zoom out to 4 (or 5!) to check an LOS or target.

I also need to zoom down to 1-2 when placing waypoints. So, during an orders phase, my camera is always changing height. This makes it impracticable to constabtly "Shift-A"

I think sticky (if that is possible) is the best option. But if that proves too difficult to implement (how the hell would I know?) then I think it is worthwhile to consider making +1 camera angle default.