Battlefront - How do you stay sane with all the nitpickiness here?

I'm not sure I could handle (without being offended) by all the petty little nitpickiness I see here every single day.

Does it bother you, or do you REALLY feel it's just part of the territory?

You've put out a unique product that meets or exceeds any other wargame out there that includes 3d graphics...

Actually, I think they rather enjoy reading most of them. Used to, anyway. Things were pretty calm before the release of CMBB, and by the next patch comes out or so, I expect that the troublemakers be either assimilated or expatriated and things return once more to their former serene self.

edit: err, silly grammar mistake... english as a second language, you see.

[ December 08, 2002, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: JunoReactor ]

Well I hope they find that amongst all the trivia there are some valid suggestions about the game. But i agree with you there is way too much nitpicking ...... maybe its a sign of just how good the game is ... people find few truly major points to complain about .. and they almost always get fixed.

And if BFC are reading this, i just noticed that on some of the German uniforms the buttons dont seems to be spaced as far apart as they were in real life .... :D BFC please fix or do sumfink !! :rolleyes:

lou2000

Originally posted by japinard:

I'm not sure I could handle (without being offended) by all the petty little nitpickiness I see here every single day.

I believe nit-pickiness is a hyphenated word. Anything less, is as stated before... "gamey."

Using all capitols for "really," is overkill. Italicised would've been more correct.

You've put out a unique product that meets or exceeds any other wargame out there that includes 3d graphics...

"Exceeds" is an understatement... Don't you like this game? *grin*

Originally posted by -E:

I believe nit-pickiness is a hyphenated word. Anything less, is as stated before... "gamey."

Yes, yes, me dear -E... we must not lower our standards. Unfortunately, yer wrong, wrong, wrong on just about everything. Ahem, nitpicking aint hyphenated. Anyone with the remotestness experience of picking nits KNOWS, yes knows that yer got to catch the little suckers with one continuous sweep of the tail... NO HYPHEN. AND yer got to be read up on yer parasitology 'cause it might not be yer nit... could be yer lice, eh? And picking yer lice may be very, very different from nitpicking. One has to consider bodyweight, jumpingness, rebound effects etc etc sic. et al

And its "anything ness" with a "n" not a "l"... we really must tryness harder.

Yeknod

[edited 'cause lice-picking IS hyphenated 'cause its different from nitpicking mainly because they're probably bloated and more important]

[ December 08, 2002, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Yeknodathon ]

Originally posted by -E:

Using all capitols for "really," is overkill. Italicised would've been more correct.

Using "capitals" more correct still.

We whine because it's such a great game we spend all our damn time playing it. It just comes with the territory. I think they understand that. I think.

Eden

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by -E:

Using "capitals" more correct still.

We whine because it's such a great game we spend all our damn time playing it. It just comes with the territory. I think they understand that. I think.

Eden</font>

Originally posted by Yeknodathon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by -E:

Yes, yes, me dear -E... we must not lower our standards. Unfortunately, yer wrong, wrong, wrong on just about everything. Ahem, nitpicking aint hyphenated. Anyone with the remotestness experience of picking nits KNOWS, yes knows that yer got to catch the little suckers with one continuous sweep of the tail... NO HYPHEN. AND yer got to be read up on yer parasitology 'cause it might not be yer nit... could be yer lice, eh? And picking yer lice may be very, very different from nitpicking. One has to consider bodyweight, jumpingness, rebound effects etc etc sic. et al

And its "anything ness" with a "n" not a "l"... we really must tryness harder.

Yeknod

[edited 'cause lice-picking IS hyphenated 'cause its different from nitpicking mainly because they're probably bloated and more important]</font>

You don't think people begging for product improvements (ie The Patch) and demanding to know when they would be released would be equally annoying?

I'm not sure myself what is up at BTS. During the heyday of CMBO, Steve would periodically come in here and rip someone a new exit shute. They were some of the most enjoyable posts and more importantly it at least temporarily restored a measure of sanity to the forum. That is until the next outbreak of self proclaimed brilliant ideas erupted. But since the crunch of CMBB, scant evidence of concern has been shown by the SodFather in participating in any of the madness. Curious I'd say.

[ December 08, 2002, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

I'm not sure myself what is up at BTS. During the heyday of CMBO, Steve would periodically come in here and rip someone a new exit shute. They were some of the most enjoyable posts and more importantly it at least temporarily restored a measure of sanity to the forum. That is until the next outbreak of self proclaimed brilliant ideas erupted. But since the crunch of CMBB, scant evidence of concern has been shown by the SodFather in participating in any of the madness. Curious I'd say.

Have you read any of his recent posts? Check out the debate with redwolf in the Sneaking or IS-2 reverse threads. Or did you mean a different "Steve" from BTS?

I saw the Sneaking thread Steve post. (No, that's the one and only true Steve at BTS). New York Supreme Court Declares Steve To Be The One And Only Steve!

It was pure nostalgia. Made me home sick. Didn't see the IS-2, missed that one. I'll go see.

But don't you think his sheparding has fallen off considerably? Busy ofcourse with CMBB. But it is out now. Maybe their off crunching on the engine rewrite, (or laughing all the way to the Riviera). But ah, I do miss it so.

[ December 08, 2002, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

You'd better be careful how you define nitpickiness, too. Nitpicking is what grognards do, and can be, keeping thing festive, a wonderful opportunity to interact with the developers and assist in improving the game.

Most of the nitpicking that takes place here seems to be the result of people trying to learn how the game works. The nitpicking acts as a soundboard.

If everyone could just (a) accept the common goal of getting at the truth of how something works, (B) not concern themselves with having to be "right" about something, and © relax a little bit about turning legitimate suggestions to the BTS team into vulgar imperatives, I think things would flow much smoother.

Just think how much extra chrome we might get if everyone worked with BTS in a positive light on nitpicker issues, instead of forcing them to slog through dozens of argumentative posts that seem (on both sides) to degenerate into penis size debates.

As the Mother of all Nickpickers I have to point out that there is simply no alternative. With all the nickpicks in CM, is there any other game even close?

TacOps 4 is the noticable exception, but that has a drastically different Schwerpunkt (multiplayer per side with FOW between players and a gamemaster designing the scenario on the fly), so it is not really comparable.

Originally posted by redwolf:

[QB]As the Mother of all Nickpickers I have to point out that there is simply no alternative. With all the nickpicks in CM, is there any other game even close?[QB]

You should have seen the debacle that served as a "debate" about the greater (or lesser) merits of Breakaway Games' revamp of the Sid Meier Civil War engine.

Not that it still touches the legions of nitpickers devoted to CM, of course. smile.gif

(posting to make Bruno's day smile.gif )

Nitpicking is fine with us. We ourselves are nitpickers, in case the idiotic attention to detail in CMBO and CMBB didn't show that clearly enough :D But like the flood of nitpicks coming from CMBO some are incorrect, correct but not worth addressing, correct but not practical to address, correct and in need of addressing. We try to focus on the latter.

The difference between then and now is that there are a TON of Forum members who can sort these issues out without our help. This was not the case with CMBO because it was just too new. I have looked into dozens and dozens of threads only to find that the questions and concerns have been answered correctly a half dozen times already. So we do the simple thing and skip the thread and look for something else that needs more specific attention. Some threads are monitored because it looks like perhaps they might develop into something of interest to us, but aren't currently in need of our comments.

Basically, the Forum is "mature" enough to handle most issues on its own. The ones that are not easily settled tend to keep bubbling up to the top and are noted. Sometimes we forget to respond and just fix it smile.gif

As always, we deeply apreciate the interest you guys show here. The volume is a bit overwhelming at times, but we really do try and keep up on things.

Steve

I've been around quite a while, since before the pre-orders for CMBO were shipped. I didn't post much back then, and I never updated my account when Battlefront changed its message board to the present one. Thus, I am a "high-number" junior-member. But I've been around long enough to see the great variety of posts here.

Many of the posts really do a good job of helping the development team bring more realism to CMBB and CMBO. I think we are all interested in making this game as close to a simulation of reality as possible while still keeping it "fun". What I am less interested in is some of the minutae that comes with the territory. I've left it up to the "grognards" to sort that out. Mind you, I do have a deep interest in WWII and in military history and tactics in general, but I neither have the time nor the desire (too many other interests) to engage in long debates over such fine "nitpicky" details. However, I do enjoy how these debates make my game better. The only thing that really bothers me is the sometimes condescending attitude to newbies I've seen in some posts by "experts". This is rare, but I have seen it. I don't really recall seeing any of this in quite a while.

Anyway, I think that nitpickiness is just a part of the territory, mostly for the good of the community and in the end, making for a better game.

BTW, I've never understood the joys of the neverending Peng threads...