What Axis Minor ally ar you most looking forward to ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooooh, the Hungarians...them's some fightin' fools! And Franco's boys...I'm excited now!

Seriously, I think the value of the Minors will be in that we can say things like "But I did it with Italians!" or "If I had some Germans, rather than Bulgarians, I woulda been able to take that town."

It'll be interesting, but I think they will all kinda meld together into this netherworld of less-than-Germans that will provide an interesting diversion to the whole Germans vs. the world situation that you get from CMBO.

I would say the Italians, and I would like to see their semovente 90 self propelled anti-tank gun. I would also like to see their M13/40. Those are probably the most renowned of the Italian weapons, and Rommel liked the semovente, saying it was the Italians only reliable anti-tank weapons.

Also, though not really "allied" since they were incorporated into the Wermacht, but I always liked the Czech 35 and 38t in its variants. I guess I like rivets...

What I REALLY want to see though are the Partisans. (Russian) and the Naval Troops.

For Germany, I hope it includes the Luftwaffe ground units, and (though I doubt it) the "werewolf" partisans of the last months of the war.

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]</p>

I am really looking forward to playing as the Romanians. They had the biggest presence out of all the other German allied countries. Romania fielded some 250k troops I believe if not more.

The Romanians peformed really well at times, in the Caucasus, Crimea, Odessa. Other times they ran. The Romanins relied mainly on infantry and cavalry, they did have a few tank divisions though.

Italians are second on my list though.

The Spaniards (Blue Division) won't be in the game because, as I understand it, they were more or less identical to the Germans. Even wearing pretty much the same uniforms.

But, I won't confirm or deny anything until I see the finished product. That's just what a little bird told me.

Hmm.. I'll go with wanting to see the Finns, though I'd gladly play any ally. I have this wierd attraction to the Finnish Army. The Italians had a lot of interesting stuff, as did the Hungarians.

What about the Slovaks? I don't know if any of them will make it into the game.. I'd assume so, but I haven't heard anything.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

No votes for uberFinns yet?<hr></blockquote>

I think the question was minor ally, and I don't think the finns qualify as that.

but if they do they have my vote

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Patrik ]

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Patrik ]</p>

I know they will not be be modelled in CMBB per say(but modded later...), but I want to make some scenarios/ops based on the SS units that used other foriegn nationals (Waloonian, Dutch, Ukranian) and the actions they served in. Particularly late war, when most of these guys fought tenaciously when they should have been the first to run.

There were non-Finnish troops on the East Front?? Whoda thought?

'Sides that, I shall be making some 'Byte Battles' around my Hungarian Cav Father-in-law and his rather unpleasant experiences in Poland from Jan.45 to April.45 in Hamburg.

Listening to his 'cheese factory' story -- among many -- still gives me the willies: holding their hands over their horses mouths to keep them quiet while a Soviet company goes by... or the time when they fought dismounted; by the time they returned to their horses, their NCOs were frozen to death, standing upright still holding the horses' reins... eyes wide open.

Personally, I look forwards to seeing Rumanians, especially their marines, if they make it in.

As far as the Spanish, Wallonian, Dutch, Nordic, etc. troops which fought for the Germans, one must remember that they were indistinguishable from contemporary formations of the same type in CM terms. They fought with the same TO & E, albeit with different names and language. An SS Rifle Company is pretty much the same in CM no matter what language they soldiers speak.

WWB

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: wwb_99 ]</p>

Who could forget the American volunteer units? C'mon all dozen of them (or whatever) POW Americans that were convinced to fight against those Godless, communist Russians. They must have kicked some serious @ss armed with M-1 Garands, MG42s and Bren tripods all topped off with superior German optics. BTS, fix or do somefink! My '45 Ami SS units don't have jetpacks, lasers or nukes. WTF????? :D

Hanns

Aacooper wrote:

Let's chant "hakaa paale SUOMI!" (beat 'em up Finland - I'm sure it's misspelled).

"Hakkaa päälle"

This can't be translated to English exactly, most common translation is "cut 'em down". A more literal one would be "charge and slash". The first written mention of this warcry was in memoirs of a Scottish mercenary captain (Munro?) who fought in Swedish army during the 30 year war (his spelling was "hacka pelle").

Nowadays the most well-known version is probably from the movie "Unknown Soldier" where it is "hakkaa päälle, pohjan poika" where "pohjan poika" translates to "Son of North". [Note for other Finns: I'm quite certain that there's a pause between "pohjan" and "poika" in the movie so in this context it is correct to write them separately even though "pohjanpoika" is really a compound word].

- Tommi

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: tss ]</p>

Finns, of course. They (we) never surrendered.

As for the ancient finnish warcry "hakkaa päälle" I must add that it actually means just "beat them up".

The cavalry units using this came from the south-western parts of Finland where people speak a dialect close to the Estonian language with swedish construction. So, "hakkaa päälle" is nothing more than a local expression for the swedish "hacka på".