What's the best score as Axis on Balkovzky Surprise?

I'm slowly getting used to CMBB and, while I think I still prefer the Western Front I far prefer the way this plays. Even down to the new camera angle (tab 1 etc) and pan ;)

I'm avoiding playing easy win battles to ensure I am forced to get used to the sometimes more uneven balances on this front. I tried the above a few times today as Axis and keep getting pasted. Anyone fairing any better?

[ October 06, 2002, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Apache ]

78-22. Major Victory. First and only try so far. The default set-ups are good. I kept the tanks in their default location, and they did well. Lost the two Mk IVF2's and the Mk III. AI lost all but one T34 M43. Their troops never even got close to my flags. The fwd infantry HQ unit even sacked a T34 w/ a grenade!

Originally posted by Apache:

I tried the above a few times today as Axis and keep getting pasted. Anyone fairing any better?

--------------------------------------------------

First try, Axis Major victory--81 to 19

Lost 2 tanks russia lost 8 and 1 routed w/damaged gun. Their troops never came close to the flags.

Tank hunter team got a T-34 without getting a scratch!!

Pure luck, ran like hell the whole time! :D

Krazy

I've been whipped twice :( ... don't figure out how my underpants-zer are supposed to win :eek: !

LOS is short (120 m), but when T-34 enter "kill

zones" my shells keep bouncing, more T-34 arrive, and their shells just make my tanks quickly looks like Swiss cheese (with big holes).

Scoot & shoot isn't of much help, HD doesn't suffice, what's the heck ?? :confused:

Well, no real nasty spoilers yet here, IMHO. Apache, you might want to post a spoiler notice on top of this thread to keep everything kosher.

As for the battle, well, something so small with so many high-value units leads to skewed scores.

Interestingly, I did play it multiplayer and it turned out quite well. I would love to see an aars/reports you all have.

WWB

wwb - if I was going to put a lot in about the tactics and the way the battle plays I would have put SPOILER at top but in fairness it was just a question. I think spoiler is best used by the person who introduces the scenario specific answers, just giving scores and general info can't be much of a SPOIL. In any event, as Herr Oberst says, it is likely to attract some scenario specific comments. My approach is not to read threads about scenarios I haven't played, after all it ain't obligatory.

Anyway, now - SPOILER

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

I left the Axis tanks in original positions and all got blasted to pieces by about turn 7???? Perhaps I just got 6 bad doses of luck? If it was a CDV version I could blame that perhaps ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, try as I might I get my ass kicked every bloody time on this one!!! :mad: I leave the tanks in situ, they rarely last beyong turn 2-3, T34s slam them EVERY time. I move 'em and can perhaps string their death out longer. Doesn't seem to matter where I put the Panzers, I get pasted. I will blooody beat it, I Will, I WILL, WAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

One thing that concerns me though (and this ain't scenario related of course) is the fact that I can pull a Mk IV up into hull-down from a ditch, right up the backside of a T34, Mk IV gets of 2-4 shots into it's rear and doesn't scratch it (only about 80 - 100yds away!), T34 turns and, with its crap optics at night, gets off one shot while still moving and kills the Mk IV! :mad:

In a straight head on fight the IVs and IIIs don't stand a ghost of a chance against T34s do they? They also seem to struggle when every card is stacked in their favour :confused:

In a straight head on fight the IVs and IIIs don't stand a ghost of a chance against T34s do they? They also seem to struggle when every card is stacked in their favour
I have found that when I'm pushing the Panzers around, they can't hit the broadside of a barn (one trip through the demo, I actually lost three Panzers to one of those dippy KV-1S, with practically my entire OB firing away at it the whole time). On the other hand, when I'm driving the T-34s, their armor mysteriously becomes as hard as warm butter.

I just wish I could get that turned around. ;)

SP@ILER, OF THE "YOU COULD TRY WHAT I DID, AT LEAST IT WORKED FOR ME-TYPE"

It's true- those two tanks...

(You know what- I guess I should be saving my endgame files. Haven't been doing that, but it must have been a Major at least- attacker didn't manage squat)

...those two tanks behind the buildings are pretty sweet right where they are.

I took another two, (the only ones?), and moved one way up the right, the other way up the left. Of course!

The one on the right comes in sneaking "through" the woods, sorta, and pow! he'll catch someone by surprise easy. The one on the left- there's a little hill there where you can get a good hull down and I'm pretty sure I took out a couple with that tank.

Also on the left is a river(?) or something, which allows a tank team to get all the way up to the front, and hey... mine got smashed, I think, but it's still worth the effort. Hth,

Eden

Here's my AAR on this one...playing Axis...Spoiler (of sorts) after the image....

The Key for me?? Keeping that right flank III alive for all 18+ turns...hide hide hide!! and then come out ONLY when you have a good side or rear shot on JUST one...do NOT come out when there are two who can get a shot at you...

My III got THREE T-34s one of which turned its A-S to me as it tried to get on the bridge...

Use the IVs to stay in place and slug it out and hope you can get one or two of them before they get you..

Your first RL is doomed...write it off, but hang on as long as you can..

Then DO NOT give up the east west road to the bridge..then the only way Ivan can come through is angle toward the bridge...if you own the road and can move your III up and down it, hiding the behind the buildings, you have a shot...

This is a greate scenario and a great map..

[ October 29, 2002, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: OGF Keller ]

......SPOILER......

I just finished it with a 62:38, two tanks surviving and all Ruskies out of action bar two who were bogged down in the back.

I screwed up a bit at first by leaving my screen in place one turn too long. I do that every frickin' game it seems - when will I learn? :rolleyes:

IMO the key to using tanks in this scenario is shoot and scoot. Ping 'em and bugger off.

That's the theory. One of my tanks got bogged and tied down 3 T-34s for about four minutes, no kills either side. Then my flanking tanks showed up and popped two T-34s before scooting.

Infantry killed two T-34s that kept pushing on after their infantry were routed.

Speaking of inf, keeping them hiding until the enemy is at point blank range makes a mess of the Russians as well. :D

I also got lucky when the last mobile T-34 decided to advance along the river. One of my two remaining tanks with nothing but HE fired away and got a gun hit, two track hits, then an immobilised. At which point the scenario ended.

Lots of fun, and plenty of nail-biting.

[ October 30, 2002, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Brian Rock ]

I tried the scenario twice as Germans, and both times the Russians wiped out my IVF2's within two turns, once without losing any tanks and once after losing three; the PzIII followed shortly after it was exposed the first time (got two tanks on the other try, though). Infantry did bugger-all mostly.

Perhaps just extremely bad luck, but didn't feel like playing it again for being so heavily stacked on both sides (Germans very hard, Russians a cakewalk).

Cracked it. I'll save the scenario, change it to mid-day/clear, up the axis spend points by about 2,000 and call in 6 squadrons of Stuka Tank killers - then we'll see whose bloody tanks are still running around at the end :D

Seriously though, I'll probably have to try the flanking and shoot n scoot. Every othet way seems to get me pasted. What amazes me is the that some are able to win by leaving tanks in situ. Amazing. Luck of the drawer I suppose :(

does it bear repeating? HUGE SPOILER***********

Been waiting to get around to this scenario so I could finally read this thread!

I pulled back the black-zone tanks to the riverbank after dropping the troops off at the 7thCO HQ area. Also moved up the bridge HMG and section leader to village side river. Made sure all troops in town were in command of the uber-CO. Also was careful to place my front squads BEHIND buildings so the could create fall-back foxholes, the crawled them up. Later fell back to foxholes to avoid tank fire. Put HMG's way back but still in range. Put PZIII way back on my right flank. Was careful to keep it on road the whole time...real bad gp.

During play I worked the T34's with the 3 river-bank PZIV's using shoot-and-scoot. Used PIII only for flank shots against single T34's (got 2, yay!). Gun hit on one PZIVF2, the PZIVF was destroyed by last 2 T34's right at the end (t17).

85-15 score.

Night fights are tough...squads even with great leaders freak out pretty easy and run to their doom.

Ren

I played this scenario in the blurred first week that I got cmbb, so the details are all sort of blurry, but I *believe* I got a major victory.

Spoiler

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

I pretty much used the original set up. My Pz IVs were all knocked out within the first couple of game turns, knocking out only a couple of T-34s. My AT gun, or infantry gun, or some non-tank AT asset (I don't remember what it was anymore) immobilized one tank on the bridge.

So the game came down to my Pz IIIs. I had kept them on the road to the right, and advanced them toward the bridge as the T-34s came close to crossing it. Much to my suprise, they were magnificent. One of my Pz IIIs was hit *8* times by T-34s and survived. While the Pz IIIs had some difficulty with the T-34s - shots bouncing of the rear, nonkilling penetrations to the rear, even, the higher rate of fire meant that they kept hittingand eventually killing.

Great scenario! And one I was convinced I was going to lose in the middle of it.