Next Combat Mission game

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Hawk:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Charlie901:

Next game should do the Battle of The Bulge. Think of all the top WWII military units and equipment, AFV's etc....!

LOL! Good one!</font>

Originally posted by energy76:

Uh, what's "CMDD?" And do you really think it will take two years to revisit the Ostfront and France with the new engine, when they've already done all the research?

CMDD = Combat Mission : DDay Dodgers

This is CM3 with the CMII engine, which covers the Mediterranean Theatre of operations.

The research is one thing, but CMBO is a completely different program than CMDD. So, it will take time to make them all work together.

Regards,

Voxman

[ November 13, 2002, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: Voxman ]

Originally posted by AussieJeff:

Have you read "A History of The 2/17 Australian Infantry Battalion 1940-1945" published by the 2/17 Battalion History Committee (103 Condamine St, Balgowlah, NSW, 2093) and printed by Macarthur Press, Parramatta?

I have to admit you've completely out-grogged me here!

:D

My late dad's maps of the Battalions' dispositions (he was one of the Battalion's FO's and official battlefield cartographer) for the battles at Regima, Tobruk and Alamein are particularly interesting.
Ooooo, exceedingly cool! Do hang carefully onto all of those! In a couple of years we will all be crying out for copies.

Michael

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

From a visual standpoint, it's not as interesting as the Western or Eastern Front.

CD—you don't mind if I call you CD, do you?—with all due respect, you're a bloody idiot. smile.gif Why do you think all those lunatic Englishmen kept coming back to the desert time and time again between the wars? The luxurious accommodations? It was either hotter than hell or cold enough to freeze you twist-legged. The sand got into everything, your boots, your clothes, your eyes, your food and even up your ass. The flies were as thick as...well, flies.

But to see the sun come up, or go down was a spectacle that few are vouchsafed. And the stars at night! Incredible! The never ending kaleidascope of light and shadow. The unanticipated grace of sudden spring flowers after a rain.

If CM is able to capture just a fraction of the beauty, you'll never want to leave, because you, you lucky dog, won't have to face the heat, the sand, the flies, and the thirst.

Michael

Elevate the game to the next level and add

battalion/regimental strategic planning&command.

Plan maneuvers on strategic map and resolve

battles on tactical level with an option to

automatically resolve battles.

WWII European theatre deluxe 1940-1945 release would be nice, although a HUGE project.

I dug "The Desert Generals" out of our basement and found out I was wrong regarding O'Connor. He was captured by the Germans in '41 and was a prisoner for something like two years. The author really seems to have though a lot of him, writing that his two initials divisions and attached units, when they began their campaign into Libya, possessed a level of professionalism and "dash" that was never reached by the UK troops who later fought in North Africa.

Re-reading the first few chapters, though, it doesn't look like anyone could HELP but beat the Italians.

Oh yeah, and since it took me hours to get to Columbus yesterday (26 flipping miles), I think the next CM game should feature an armed invasion of central Ohio. Missions could center around knocking Ma and Pa Kettle out of the passing lane. The way people drive around here, you could catch up to them on foot. :mad:

Originally posted by JonS:

Yeah, I was amazed that BFC managed to do CMBO, and yet completely exclude the Ardennes! It's like there is a black hole at the centre of that game that refuses to let anything related to the Ardennes exist.

uhh...I distinctly recall playing several scenarios in CMBO that involved SS attacks in the Ardennes. Maybe I dreamt that?

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Another grog who can't understand why I'm not captivated by something they've read 30 books on...

Do I have to preface every post with "IMHO?" It's my opinion on the subject. I'm just not into playing this game in the desert--just as I'm not into having long-range tank battles. I'm sure BTS will go ahead and make the game anyway but I post things like this to see if others feel the same about these things as I do.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to my hooked-on-phonics which is a great learning tool for idiots like myself. So thanks anyways for your post, you conceited jerk. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

[ November 14, 2002, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Colonel_Deadmarsh ]

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Do I have to preface every post with "IMHO?" It's my opinion on the subject. I'm just not into playing this game in the desert--just as I'm into having long-range tank battles.

That's quite all right. I understand. It's just that we can't have you being a bad influence on the kiddies.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to my hooked-on-phonics which is a great learning tool for idiots like myself. So thanks anyways for your post, you conceited jerk. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Ahem. That's, "You conceited jerk, sir!"

Michael

Oh, and by 2007 the guys from BTS will have lost interest in CM, and will be off building their portfolios somewhere else... *shudder*
...of course, this would not be the case if we had them locked in the cellar of a remote house, with only development tools and research material for company...

I said "if"...

[ November 13, 2002, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Leather Suitcase ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

If CM is able to capture just a fraction of the beauty, you'll never want to leave, because you, you lucky dog, won't have to face the heat, the sand, the flies, and the thirst.

Michael

You missed out the opportunity to play with possibly the worst tank in history, the Italian L3. A tank with gun that couldn't pierce the 8mm armour of a Rolls Royce armoured car and armour that could happily be pierced the RR's machine gun.

I can't see too many people buying them in QBs though.

[ November 13, 2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Originally posted by akdavis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JonS:

Yeah, I was amazed that BFC managed to do CMBO, and yet completely exclude the Ardennes! It's like there is a black hole at the centre of that game that refuses to let anything related to the Ardennes exist.

uhh...I distinctly recall playing several scenarios in CMBO that involved SS attacks in the Ardennes. Maybe I dreamt that?</font>

To my knowledge, this what BTS said in the past about the future of CM:

First, the engine rewrite

Second, Mediterranean theater. Will include Italy (maybe up to 1945), North Africa, Balkans.

Third, Early years of the war. Will include Poland, France, Low countries and Norway. Maybe it will include Spanish Civil war.

There are no plans on revisiting the Western Front after D-Day, nor the Eastern Front with the new engine, nor a game that will include the whole war in European theatre. BTS is not interested in the Pacific war at all.

Maybe I'm wrong about all of this, and maybe people at BTS change their minds in the next years.

Personally I would like a game that covers the whole WWII, including the pacific.

Originally posted by klapton:

There are no plans on revisiting the Western Front after D-Day, nor the Eastern Front with the new engine...

Uhhhh, I'm not so sure about that. I believe I recall Steve posting to the contrary. It may not have the status of a definite plan yet, but it's something that they are leaning towards.

Michael

My choices ....

The Med 1940s (Historical)

Korea 1950s (Historical)

Middle East 1960s (Fictional)

Europe 1970s (Fictional) NATO vs Soviets would be nice.

I highly doubt they will go the fictional route after the great way they have handled historicals, but one can always wish, and make one's wishes known. The guys at BFC will probably have made enough money to retire by the time CMIII comes out anyway, so we can wish all we want... they will be sitting in their money-counting hammocks on a tropical island with all those bronze beauties serving them drinks with little umbrellas in them. They could sell the company to some console game makers and we could see CM on the PS3. Never again will they have to deal with grogs whining about armor thickness and slope, or watch posters argue incessantly about details of things that happened long ago. 10 years of PENG would be enough to drive anyone into early retirement on its own. smile.gif

[ November 15, 2002, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Sgt. Schultz ]