The Damn BIRDS!

Runyan99

Yeah, they are new birds actually but birds all the same.

You know, they do have birds in the desert and in the oasis. Originally, we had many different background sounds but we had to cut a few out in order to fit all the data onto one CD.

In time, I will post some alternate background sounds (and some other sound effects I have) as a Mod Pack on CMHQ.

Madmatt

One of my early, and deleted, versions had the persistent buzzing of fly's and other insects. It got, how to put this, INCREDIBLY ANNOYING, after a while though.

So, what does everyone think of the new distant arty sounds? I spent a lot of time on those and am pretty proud of how they turned out.

Madmatt

Very nice background artillery sounds. Very sharp and clear and this is on my work computer LOL not my home computer. Graphics look a bit sharper and this weekend will be spending some serious time on it for any change in gameplay from the previous two. Great job and can't wait to preorder the game tonight. :D

Originally posted by Snarker:

4:40 minutes until I can comment. 56k hell, I tell ya! :mad:

Snarker

I heard a severe thunderstorm was heading your way!!! :eek:

Just kidding!! :D

I will be firing up my 56k tonight as well. What's 5 and a half hours of pure downloading hell anyway.

I remember once, when I was downloading one of the CMBB patches, the damn thing froze up. It took me thirty minutes to even notice it had stopped. :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Madmatt:

So, what does everyone think of the new distant arty sounds? I spent a lot of time on those and am pretty proud of how they turned out.

Madmatt

That was the first thing I noticed. They have a real sonic "depth" to them. They sound like they've rolled over a great distance to get to the ear. They also sound full, not so much like a distant "knocking" sound, but more like a true boom.

And no, I am no sound grog. :mad:

Well done Madmatt.

One of my early, and deleted, versions had the persistent buzzing of fly's and other insects. It got, how to put this, INCREDIBLY ANNOYING, after a while though.

Madmatt

I have these fancy speakers at work, oh they look

neat and people envy them. But they have no headphone jack... sooooo if I turn them up at all

everybody at work well be hearing me play "CM" and

not working :rolleyes: But i'm sure the sounds are wicked. :cool: as far as the birds go, that's why I supply my troops with slingshots to

take them out right away.... tongue.gif

[ November 19, 2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Micheal Wittman ]

Because space was so limited on the CD (and the demo) both the Panzerschreck and Bazooka use the same sound. They did in the other two games as well but at least now rifle grenades and Panzerfausts have unique sounds, which they never did before.

I believe the sound that we ended up using for the schrecks/zooks was that of a Panzerschreck though.

The real sound of a bazooka is VERY odd I might add, so I used the one that sounded more appropriate to the weapon system.

I will be collecting all my sounds that weren't used into several alternate sound mod sets no doubt.

Madmatt

[ November 19, 2003, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Matt, I hope you will make the flies mod available at CMHQ. It may be annoying, but I understand the flies were omnipresent and annoying, particularly around water sources, in the North African desert. Maybe it could be tied to water tiles and village tiles (three or four buildings within a 50m radius) in the game.

It would be very cool to hear the flies buzzing as you approached a village or oasis!

Edited to note: the arty sounds were very nice -- had that "thunder rolling along the plains, taking four or five seconds to die out" quality.

Steve

[ November 19, 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

The sounds were really nice, and added a lot to the atmosphere of my TCP last night.

I was just wondering if there's any possibility of sinking the relative volume of tank engines, and increasing the volume of light and medium mortar explosions. (and perhaps some other arty as well). Being under exploding arty should sound loud as heck---especially if the camera is positioned right under where it's hitting.

I realize tank engines are loud, but they drown out everything in a way that, while perhaps realistic, can be as irritating as maybe those flies were.

This comment originates mainly from CMBB, so it might not be as much of an issue in CMAK.

Madmatt

The ambient sounds of the Arty are EXCELLENT, the first thing I noticed, after firing up the desert battle,(after the birds that is :eek: )

The better metallic sounds of the tanks is cool as well along with the gear shifting sound of other vehicles.

BTW, I was playing a TCP last night and my opponent claimed to hear a "swishing sound" which he likened to a whip antenna on a vehicle snapping back and forth as the tank moved...I couldn't hear it....is there such a sound? or has my hearing gone bad?

The sound is really very nice. From background arty to the engines spooling up from idle to full speed.

One thing I notice though is a little sound somewhat like when you hit a stabilizing wire on an antenna when a tank moves out. I also hear the treads, and the engine sounds, but this other thing is in there that I don't quite understand what it is.

A note on the sounds... has anyone heard the BooYah! sound yet from an American tanker? At least it sounds like BooYah! to me. One of the tankers said that after a shot hit its mark. I am probably not hearing it correctly, but if I am I am pretty sure they didn't used slang/lingo like that in the 40s. smile.gif