How much does hull-down reduce the chance to hit?

How much does hull-down reduce the chance to hit?

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it!

It's important to know, because when you _do_ get hit, it's the turrent for sure... which is thin (usually!).

Is there some rule of thumb for knowing what tank would be better hull down or not?

Thanks!

GaJ.

The idea is that if only the turret is visible to the enemy, it's a much smaller target than the complete hull and turret. But as you mentioned, if the tank does get hit, it will be on the turret. It's up to you check your tank's armor and dedice what's best in the circumstances.

That seems counter-intuitive at first glance considering that only about a third or a little more of a tank's frontal silhouette is the turret. I suppose they may be considering that in normal aspect (hull up) some portion of the hull is still obscured by vegetation etc. though.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

That seems counter-intuitive at first glance considering that only about a third or a little more of a tank's frontal silhouette is the turret.

In hull-down position upper hull is still visible (and hittable), lower hull is not. This also allows Grant's and StuG's to fire from hull-down.

Not really having anything to do with this, but just last week I learned that the game gives a greater hit chance when facing the side of a tank than when facing the front of a tank. Of course it should be that way, but it took me this long to notice in the game!

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

That seems counter-intuitive at first glance considering that only about a third or a little more of a tank's frontal silhouette is the turret.

In hull-down position upper hull is still visible (and hittable), lower hull is not. This also allows Grant's and StuG's to fire from hull-down. </font>

The CM hull-down is not a perfect hull-down. It is easier to achieve, and going behind a little wall is enough to provide "hull-down" status. In reality there'd be varying levels of protection, but that would be a bitch to manage for the player.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the often discussed "turret more easily penetrated than the hull" problem (I think with the PzIV?) that , in the opinion of some, make going for hull-down unwise because it increases the chance of a fatal turret shot, as opposed to receiving a non-penetrating hull strike. A combination of hull-down and loooong range is best because it really reduces your chance of being hit at all. Hull down at just 300m means your turret IS going to be hit.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the often discussed "turret more easily penetrated than the hull" problem (I think with the PzIV?) that , in the opinion of some, make going for hull-down unwise because it increases the chance of a fatal turret shot, as opposed to receiving a non-penetrating hull strike.

From Jade's initial post:

"It's important to know, because when you _do_ get hit, it's the turrent for sure... which is thin (usually!)."

From Omi's post (#3):

"But as you mentioned, if the tank does get hit, it will be on the turret. It's up to you check your tank's armor and dedice what's best in the circumstances."

Can I have some of the grass mod you're using? :D

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the often discussed "turret more easily penetrated than the hull" problem (I think with the PzIV?) that , in the opinion of some, make going for hull-down unwise because it increases the chance of a fatal turret shot, as opposed to receiving a non-penetrating hull strike. A combination of hull-down and loooong range is best because it really reduces your chance of being hit at all. Hull down at just 300m means your turret IS going to be hit.

This is the exact question that I've been alluding to the whole time.

If there is half the chance to hit you when you're hull down (say) but your turret armour is 1/3rd the thickness of your hull, then it sounds like you wanna stay hull up.... that's the judgement that I'm trying to make, and looking for rules of thumb for...

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

If there is half the chance to hit you when you're hull down (say) but your turret armour is 1/3rd the thickness of your hull, then it sounds like you wanna stay hull up....

Unless your hull will be penetrated just as easily... ;)

Being "hull-up" doesn't stop turret being hit, either.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

This is the exact question that I've been alluding to the whole time.

If there is half the chance to hit you when you're hull down (say) but your turret armour is 1/3rd the thickness of your hull, then it sounds like you wanna stay hull up.... that's the judgement that I'm trying to make, and looking for rules of thumb for... </font>