Major changes?

moop

There are a few subtle things that are new in the demo, such as the dust in the desert (desert combat rules.) But are there any major changes for this game, such as the earth-shatteringly different scrolling system employed for CMBB? (and now here in CMAK as well, with the bottom half of the screen strafing and the top half rotating) There dont seem to be any real significant changes from CMBB, aside of course from the units. Its great to be able to fight as the Americans and British again with the great new CMBB-style interface. I hope you can all tell what I'm talking about.

Just discussed this thread via email.

Consider CMAK the same thing as GI:Anvil of Victory was in the old Squad Leader series. A simple bringing of the US (and in this case, the Commonwealth) up to the current state of the art already introduced on the Russian Front.

After GI, Advanced Squad Leader replaced the whole kit and kaboodle. More than likely CMII will do the same, unless they go for the money and release an early war one with Poland, France, Norway et al against Germany/Russia/Italy. They now have the armour specs for the British and Italians and Germans and Russians for that period... ;)

What other refinements could they offer, though, to reel us in for one more CM I incarnation?

Paratroop and glider landings? (Eben Emael...)

Originally posted by redwolf:

One major change seems to be that you get a lot less information about where an enemy unit is targetting. Seems that FOW has been introduced for enemy shooting.

Noticed this as well... Thought all was safe, then BOOM , bye bye Sherman...

Also the fact that troops surrender more easily which has been mentioned in several threads.

What about the M3 penetration tables? The upper ammo (with larger HE-filler) has a better penetration. Its for the 37mm gun, right, as its mentioned first inte the main weapon category when pressing Enter?

Consider CMAK the same thing as GI:Anvil of Victory was in the old Squad Leader series. A simple bringing of the US (and in this case, the Commonwealth) up to the current state of the art already introduced on the Russian Front.

After GI, Advanced Squad Leader replaced the whole kit and kaboodle. More than likely CMII will do the same, unless they go for the money and release an early war one with Poland, France, Norway et al against Germany/Russia/Italy. They now have the armour specs for the British and Italians and Germans and Russians for that period...

Couldn't agree more.

I think BFC should go for the money...

Part of the joy of ASL was the fact that practically (if not literally) every theatre of WWII was represented.

The engine is there (until the next one), so if BFC want to just want to cover all theatres/periods, that would be fine by me.

In fact, once we have CMAK along with editor etc, won't we be able to do at least all of the European Theatre?

Apologies for not being up on that kind of thing...

I assume we'll need a few more vehicles etc, but apart from that is the ETO not our oyster?

Love to see the PTO available as I'd grown into adulthood by the time ASL made it to PTO (and North Africa , come to think of it) and did not have the time on my hands to do it justice.

CM may occupy some time but it'll never be as stupidly (ie fiddly) time consuming as ASL.

CM: Scenario in an evening

ASL: Set up in an evening, and your girlfriend has cleared it from the dining table (due to imminent "in-law" arrivals) by turn 4

Now I'm older and married, I have no intention of telling my wife where the saved game files are...

Originally posted by PeterX:

Another- tentative- observation. Tanks seem to resist manual targetting now, especially when buttoned. They're more likely to fixate on their own targets. Anybody noticed this?

Yes!

I ordered a tank to shoot at an infantry up close ~50m. Shoots at it once, then goes back into it's overwatch. Later in the game, that infantry manages a hit and KOs the tank.

The psuedo end to borg spotting is great though. It helps a lot.

Ummm, lemme guess. For the Germans there is the King Tiger, Jagdtiger, Brummbar, Stormoser Tiger i.e. basically all the "uber" stuff we all like to play around with. For the British they'll more than likely miss out on Cromwells, Challengers and possibly Churchill ARVE's but I'm not certain on that last one. The Americans wont have Pershings but I think they'll get pretty much what was available in CMBO apart from the exception already mentioned plus the always pleaded for M16 halftrack. Come to think of it, the Chaffee may not be available either as I'm not sure it made it to the Italian theatre.

How'd I do?

Regards

Jim R.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by John1966:

I assume we'll need a few more vehicles etc, but apart from that is the ETO not our oyster?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might want to take a look at look at what kind of units never fought in Italy, but were fairly common in France

Apologies for coming back to this after such a long interval but by I'm not sure I said what I wanted to say...(If you see what I mean) :confused:

ASL had a "system" (ie the rule book) and it had modules for different periods, fronts, vehicles etc.

With CMAK we have essentially the same engine as previously but with different vehicles etc in different locations.

So essentially the engine is the "rule book" and CMAK is another module.

Between the three versions on CM we have a lot lot of the vehicles etc, that fought in the ETO.

That's kind of what I meant by the ETO being "our oyster"...

It would be nice if eventually there was a system where we could just set up scenarios set whenever, wherever, between whoever without having to concern ourselves with which version of CM we are playing.

In other words, all the vehicle and unit types and terrain would be in the editor.

And it would be great if PTO stuff was included.

Actually, now I've confused myself and I'm not entirely sure what I was trying to say...

:confused:

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on what on earth I am talking about, but suffice to say that I am well aware that there were vehicles that fought in France (and other places) that did not fight in Italy...

;)

But it would be great if we could play, for example, the CMBO scenarios with the engine improvements of the latest CM games.

(Was that all I was trying to say all along?) :confused: