Has anyone done this? (T-34 ride)

BDW

I once LMAO when I heard that several people got shocked when somebody started his own T34 in his backyard near Dresden/Germany. They called the police which checked his papers, the spiked gun, the missing MGs and then went off again.

Which ie even more funny is the translation on their German site (googled). I have some reservations about the correctness.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Joachim:

I once LMAO when I heard that several people got shocked when somebody started his own T34 in his backyard near Dresden/Germany. They called the police which checked his papers, the spiked gun, the missing MGs and then went off again.

Which ie even more funny is the translation on their German site (googled). I have some reservations about the correctness.

If that is the event I was thinking of, it was a BTR-80 or a BRDM-2.

That means wheeled. I doubt you would be allowed to operate a heavy tracked vehicle on German roads.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

If that is the event I was thinking of, it was a BTR-80 or a BRDM-2.

That means wheeled. I doubt you would be allowed to operate a heavy tracked vehicle on German roads.

The radio man said T34 and "Hof". Never drove there to check that. I mean ... a private BTR... who cares for that. Does it produce enough noise to get the neighbours really shocked?

If you want to see really heavy tracked vehicles on German roads - try this. Next big move is due next year. Even a Maus is a mouse compared to what's moving there.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Redwolf:

How come they are allowed to fire a life machine gun in the U.S.? :confused:

I would actually take the ride if they wouldn't do that, I don't want to be shred apart by somebody playing with the MG.

AFAICT, firing the MG isn't part of the ride. It's something all the ppl who took part get to do after the ride. My guess is it's done under very strict guidelines and from behind cover.

-Alech

Originally posted by Sergei:

If you buy it to drive on your own backyard, it should be okay, right?

What was it that that British fella bought (and sold wife's Jaguar for that), a Chaffee?

Heck, you can drive it on the roads as long as you:

a) Pay the road tax

B) Fit rubber block so you don't tear up the road

c) have a Driving license

Originally posted by Alech:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Redwolf:

How come they are allowed to fire a life machine gun in the U.S.? :confused:

I would actually take the ride if they wouldn't do that, I don't want to be shred apart by somebody playing with the MG.

AFAICT, firing the MG isn't part of the ride. It's something all the ppl who took part get to do after the ride. My guess is it's done under very strict guidelines and from behind cover.

-Alech </font>

Originally posted by flamingknives:

a) Pay the road tax

I wonder how hard it would be to pass motor vehicle inspection, though? I don't think the Soviets for instance worried much about CO2 emissions.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

a) Pay the road tax

I wonder how hard it would be to pass motor vehicle inspection, though? I don't think the Soviets for instance worried much about CO2 emissions. </font>

Also, tanks (at least the older ones) are pretty slow. Most can probably be classified as tractors, meaning special rules apply to them in some countries.

You are probably restricted from using high-ways and auto-bahns(sp?) because of the low maximum speed though. And I imagine parallel parking would be a bitch. tongue.gif

Private ownership of tanks is more common then most people think.

-Alech

Originally posted by Splinty:

I used to drive a Bradley all over Germany. tongue.gif

I still have some nice photos from a red-light camera which was still active when we disclocated with a MBT batallion through the town of Zurich around 4 am some years ago smile.gif

when you are tank driver here it can happen to you that you need a few hours of practice on your Leopard at the beginning of the yearly repetition course and then drive on a normal street with the thing ...

usually people yield, so there's no problem with driving these monsters on normal roads smile.gif

In GTA the ultimate fun is to steal a tank and cause total mayhem. I wonder how long it would take in real life before you'd be stopped...

Several years ago a disturbed veteran stole an M-60 tank and took it on the freeway near San Diego, California. He managed to rampage for half an hour before getting high-centered on the lane divider. As I recall, the county police opened the hatch with a pair of bolt cutters and shot the man dead.

More recently, there was another fellow with a rather strong grudge against his entire town. He built himself a tank out of a bulldozer and bunch of concrete for armor and went on a 2mph rampage, knocking down a number of buildings. He got stuck when his uber-dozer broke through a floor and crashed into a basement, at which point he shot himself.

Drive safe, kids!

Agua Perdido

[Edited because Croda is a brainless prat. Oh, yes, he is.]