A.I. giving itself more points than it should

I fought a Meeting Engagement against the AI the other day, where I was English and it was German. I was surprised at the amount of men it threw at me, not to mention 4 or 5 halftracks and armored cars of various flavors and TWO BRUMBARS! I was hard pressed to squeek out a win and then when I did another last evening (I was American and it was German again - ME, 2,000 points, March'45), it showed up with a battalion and FOUR TIGERS!

The only thing that saved my bacon was that I was given terrain with all the flags on my side of some fairly large hills, right below the summits, so I was able to rush my men forward and get into a really, really nice reverse slope defense.

As it was, 4 of my 5 Shermans were knocked out and my last Sherman almost didn't get the kill quick enough on the third Tiger. (The last Tiger never made it into the battle, having gotten itself bogged down behind another hill -- and good thing too! If it hadn't, I would have lost.)

But here's the thing, like I said, it was a 2,000 point game with all the parameters between the two forces the same. After the game, I went back and bought everything that the computer had purchased and I came up with 2,094 points.

I bought the same Grenadier Battalion, the cheapest PSW223, SPW250/8 and the cheapest platoon of Tigers I could get. But I couldn't get lower than 2,094.

Am I missing something basic or is the computer stacking the deck?

Originally posted by Snarker:

Maybe rarity was in the AI's favor when it chose it's force.

It would almost have to be--the lowest rarity score on a Tiger is +50% in March '45. W/o rarity a platoon costs 780. With rarity, it costs 1170, but with a minus rarity on both the Tigers and the battalion, it the parameters were set at variable, it would be possible. Also, you might have give the Axis a 25% points advantage.

Of course, Mr. Radley might have triggered the little known reverse rarity feature, in which the victim's opponents gets lowered rarity scores on particularly choice weapons systems. This feature is awarded at random moments by the CM AI and only if it works to the disadvantage of Peng regulars. It's one of the ongoing aspects of the Peng Challenge.

Rarity was turned off. I gave the Germans a +2 experience level and as far as I know, there were no casulties.

Unlike the horrendous amount of casualties Dave Aitch is about to start acruing in our little match up.

I'm waiting, Davey.

I'd like to know if this sort of thing is happening to other people or if it's just that I'm blessed with a super-duper-extra-special gamey version.

If so, I may market it as "Boo Radley's Fortified and Enriched (With Soy!) Gamey Edition A-Go-Go.

I'll clean up.

Hmm. I think this is simply a 'Is This a Bug, Or Just an Opportunity For Me To Boast About How I Beat the AI in the Face of All Adversity' threads.

clap, clap, clap

Yes, Boo. Move the empties around once again to show us how you defeated the evil, war-mongering AI despite the fact that it leaped upon you from cover all unexpected, like!

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Did you want the exact quality chosen?

Fitness?

Casualties?

Ammunition?

Dammit, Redwolf! Stop being so analytical! Mock Boo, as he deserves, and have done with it.

Given all I've gotten from your posts, have you learned nothing from me in return, you German bugger?!

Mock him! Revile him! Belittle him! You know you want to! I demand that you stop taking this analytical approach to the game engine, and call Boo a whiny big girls blouse for having had to work so hard to kill four Tigers with Shermans!

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Redwolf:

Did you want the exact quality chosen?

Fitness?

Casualties?

Ammunition?

Dammit, Redwolf! Stop being so analytical! Mock Boo, as he deserves, and have done with it.

Given all I've gotten from your posts, have you learned nothing from me in return, you German bugger?!

Mock him! Revile him! Belittle him! You know you want to! I demand that you stop taking this analytical approach to the game engine, and call Boo a whiny big girls blouse for having had to work so hard to kill four Tigers with Shermans! </font>

One thing that makes me suspicious is the flags were all on one side. That doesn't sound like any ME I've played. That sounds more like a probe - an attack - or an assault which is notorious for giving all those extra points to the attacker!

So my uninformed opinion is that either (a:) you hit the 'assault' button without realising it, or (b:) the game's saying 'meeting engagement' but dealing out 'assaults', as in a bug.

If you've got a saved game email it to Matt.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

One thing that makes me suspicious is the flags were all on one side. That doesn't sound like any ME I've played. That sounds more like a probe - an attack - or an assault which is notorious for giving all those extra points to the attacker!

So my uninformed opinion is that either (a:) you hit the 'assault' button without realising it, or (b:) the game's saying 'meeting engagement' but dealing out 'assaults', as in a bug.

If you've got a saved game email it to Matt.

I think I've got the file saved. I'll look when I get home. When I said the flags were all on one side, what I meant to say is that they were all on my side of a medium sized range of hills. If you looked at the map from directly above, they were actually a slight bit closer to the German's set up zone.

I wish there were a way to go into the editor on a QB and look at the troops that were picked out and see exactly how many points were used. What I did was open the first saved file, surrender and then look at what the enemy had. But I could only guesstimate the points.

Originally posted by Europa:

You didn't miss to buy something as part of a package? Aren't tanks in platoons cheaper for instance?

Yes. Since tanks are cheaper in platoons, I made sure to buy a platoon of Tigers. Like I said, I played around getting the most inexpensive units I could and still couldn't pare it down to 2,000 points.

I blame Seanachai. He obviously sent some virus along with one of his pathologically inept PBEM turns in an effort to insure wins for himself whenever we fight.

Bastard.

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

... What I did was open the first saved file, surrender and then look at what the enemy had.

I'm impressed. Normally Boo doesn't wait to surrender. He just flops over and starts caterwauling about how unfair the scenario is straight off.

So tell us, Boo, are you going to turn putzing around with the AI into a vocation, or are you going to send me another setup?

Papa

Originally posted by Papa Khann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo Radley:

... What I did was open the first saved file, surrender and then look at what the enemy had.

I'm impressed. Normally Boo doesn't wait to surrender. He just flops over and starts caterwauling about how unfair the scenario is straight off.

So tell us, Boo, are you going to turn putzing around with the AI into a vocation, or are you going to send me another setup?

Papa </font>