CMAKdb update.

folke

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by junk2drive:

i just tried the usa list for troops. i don't think i've seen anything like your site before.

good job.

how do i get the country menu back? refresh worked, or is there another way?

At the top, under the search button.

There should be a link with the name of the country on.

If you click there you should go back to the menu.

And thanks for those words.

Originally posted by Dandelion:

Ok, so if I find an embarrassing spelling error, how do I edit?

First of all I must say that your posts at the page are great, So much knowledge!

I am really happy that ppl uses it so much.

Thanks!

If you mail me we can fix it, the adress is in my profile.

Nice site. I enjoy reading the comments. Spotted a few errors, mostly typos.

The German Puppchen is listed under Rocket spotter; it's an AT gun, and it has no penetration stats listed.

Armored car and Self-propelled artillery are misspelled throughout the Menus.

It might have been better to combine the extraneous support weapons (like anti-tank teams, flame thrower, mortars, and sharpshooter) all into one category. It seems odd to have a whole category for one or two units. Same for the Heavy/Light machine guns.

Likewise, German tractor and transport would probably be better off in one category instead of two.

The German 88mm Flak gun cannot be used as an AA gun, so should probably be in the AT gun category instead.

Calling the different infantry guns by different titles (Field vs. Infantry vs. Howitzer) makes it difficult to quickly find them among various countries; a bit of consistency would be helpful. In other words, call all of them Infantry Guns across the board to avoid confusion.

I also think it would be better to combine the Brit Scout Car category into the Recon vehicle category.

The Brit Flame tank could go into the close support tank category.

It would be nice if there was a way to get back to the main menu listing all the countries without having to hit Reload or hitting the back button a dozen times.

Thanks for all the hard work. smile.gif

- Chris

Originally posted by Redwolf:

The font is much too small to read.

I can elarge it for that session, of course, but why do you have such a tiny font?

I choosed this font beq I thought it looked good.

And if I used a bigger font there would be side scrolling in the single unit page.

Is it totally unreadable?

What screen resolution do you use, and what browser?

I've checked with Firefox(the mozillas) and IE, but I haven't checked with Opera for some time..

Perhaps in the "future" I can make some sort of option to choose different css, like size and stuff. But that is pretty much work I think.......

Well just added it to the todo list smile.gif

Originally posted by Wolfe:
Nice site. I enjoy reading the comments. Spotted a few errors, mostly typos.

Yepp looks like me smile.gif

The German Puppchen is listed under Rocket spotter; it's an AT gun, and it has no penetration stats listed.

I will fix that asap..

Armored car and Self-propelled artillery are misspelled throughout the Menus.

Same here.. fix asap.. :D

It might have been better to combine the extraneous support weapons (like anti-tank teams, flame thrower, mortars, and sharpshooter) all into one category. It seems odd to have a whole category for one or two units. Same for the Heavy/Light machine guns.

Likewise, German tractor and transport would probably be better off in one category instead of two.

The German 88mm Flak gun cannot be used as an AA gun, so should probably be in the AT gun category instead.

Calling the different infantry guns by different titles (Field vs. Infantry vs. Howitzer) makes it difficult to quickly find them among various countries; a bit of consistency would be helpful. In other words, call all of them Infantry Guns across the board to avoid confusion.

I also think it would be better to combine the Brit Scout Car category into the Recon vehicle category.

The Brit Flame tank could go into the close support tank category.

I had many thoughts about the menu, and when I had a poll out on the page the,

Country -> 4 categories (same as cmak) -> sub units -> units,

won.

But the backside of that is that there is alot of menu jumping before getting to the actual data.

I think that it is best to have just one category menu then get straight to the data. But mabye less categories than I have now.

So if anyone here could figure out a good category system I would be all ears smile.gif

Thanks for all the hard work. smile.gif

- Chris

It's me who should thank you!

Without your excell chart and huge work of collecting data, I never would have started the site.

junk2drive wrote:

chris, see my same question above. click the country and the list comes back.

Thanks, junk. I hovered over the link and thought it was part of the search engine. smile.gif

Originally posted by folke:

I had many thoughts about the menu, and when I had a poll out on the page the,

Country -> 4 categories (same as cmak) -> sub units -> units,

won.

But the backside of that is that there is alot of menu jumping before getting to the actual data.

I think that it is best to have just one category menu then get straight to the data. But maybe less categories than I have now.

So if anyone here could figure out a good category system I would be all ears smile.gif

I can understand that. The ones I think are the most unnecessary are the Light/Medium/Heavy Machine gun categories and the Howitzer/Field/Infantry Gun categories. I think these six would be better off as just two: MGs and Infantry Guns.

I also don't think there's any functional difference in the game between a Howitzer Spotter and an Artillery Spotter, so those two might be better off combined as well. There are indeed in-game differences between the Mortar, Rocket, and Arty FOs, so having them in different categories is probably a good idea. But I wonder if they might be renamed so that they're all listed together in the Menu. Maybe something like:

Artillery FO - Guns

Artillery FO - Mortars

Artillery FO - Rockets

BTW, I hate to ask as I suspect it wouldn't be easy, but is there any way to get the database to recognize that 75 is actually less than 105? :D So things are a bit more in order?

And just to be anal, the categories themselves should probably be capitalized (e.g. Antiaircraft vehicle should be Antiaircraft Vehicle). It just looks neater, IMO.

Thanks again!

- Chris

Just spent an enjoyable half hour on folke's site waffling on about various Brit pieces. Mike Dorosh and Dandelion have put some real historical information up there, together with some useful CMAK tips. My limited grogdom has confined my comments to the latter category.

One comment I would like to address to folke - would it not be better to restrict the 'star' award facility to those people who have made comments about why they think the unit is useful or not in CMAK?

I ask because the big 'glamour' units are already appearing with top ratings (Firefly, Tiger, 17pdr AT, 88 Flak etc.) but with no explanation. I think some of these units underperform in CMAK, and that they are probably just getting top votes from people because they are 'cool'.

If you are going to persist with the 'star' rating - which I quite like - then it should be only available to those people who are prepared to say why it is good (or awful) in CMAK. Otherwise we'll get Jadgpanther fanboyz making people think that in a typical CMAK battle a Jadgpanther is a really very good idea.

I would also love to hear the reasoning from whichever joker gave a Marmon-Herrington the top star rating :eek: :D

Originally posted by Wicky:

I've uploaded a while back some screenshots for US M10, Hellcat, M4A1 and early but nothing has appeared :confused:

Sorry, it was a typo in my code. The pictures where not uploaded, only added to the db.

I wrote a mail to the address you left in the post.

If you try again with 1 screenshot, it should work now. ( i hope smile.gif )

Originally posted by Pheasant Plucker:

One comment I would like to address to folke - would it not be better to restrict the 'star' award facility to those people who have made comments about why they think the unit is useful or not in CMAK?

I ask because the big 'glamour' units are already appearing with top ratings (Firefly, Tiger, 17pdr AT, 88 Flak etc.) but with no explanation. I think some of these units underperform in CMAK, and that they are probably just getting top votes from people because they are 'cool'.

If you are going to persist with the 'star' rating - which I quite like - then it should be only available to those people who are prepared to say why it is good (or awful) in CMAK. Otherwise we'll get Jadgpanther fanboyz making people think that in a typical CMAK battle a Jadgpanther is a really very good idea.

I haven't thought of that scenario.

Maybe if we moved the rating script to the comment form, so that the only way to rate the units would be if a comment was written the same time?

What do you think about that idea?

I would also love to hear the reasoning from whichever joker gave a Marmon-Herrington the top star rating :eek: :D

Well isn't that the ultimate fighting machine still in the twentyfirst century :D

Didn't see the e-mail - most probably gobbled up by my spam filters - could you send again to my profile address.

Uploaded all the pics again via your interface (fingers crossed:)

Noticed that the US Lee Med tank is mistakenly classed as a British tank

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wicky:

I've uploaded a while back some screenshots for US M10, Hellcat, M4A1 and early but nothing has appeared :confused:

Sorry, it was a typo in my code. The pictures where not uploaded, only added to the db.

I wrote a mail to the address you left in the post.

If you try again with 1 screenshot, it should work now. ( i hope smile.gif ) </font>

Originally posted by Wolfe:

I can understand that. The ones I think are the most unnecessary are the Light/Medium/Heavy Machine gun categories and the Howitzer/Field/Infantry Gun categories. I think these six would be better off as just two: MGs and Infantry Guns.

I also don't think there's any functional difference in the game between a Howitzer Spotter and an Artillery Spotter, so those two might be better off combined as well. There are indeed in-game differences between the Mortar, Rocket, and Arty FOs, so having them in different categories is probably a good idea. But I wonder if they might be renamed so that they're all listed together in the Menu. Maybe something like:

Artillery FO - Guns

Artillery FO - Mortars

Artillery FO - Rockets

That seems like a good start.

I test it out later tonight smile.gif

BTW, I hate to ask as I suspect it wouldn't be easy, but is there any way to get the database to recognize that 75 is actually less than 105? :D So things are a bit more in order?

Well just like you thought..

I think it's not so easy to fix this.

But who knows... smile.gif

And just to be anal, the categories themselves should probably be capitalized (e.g. Antiaircraft vehicle should be Antiaircraft Vehicle). It just looks neater, IMO.

Thanks again!

- Chris

Hey, never underestimate the little things ;)

Again, fixed tonight smile.gif

Originally posted by Wicky:

Didn't see the e-mail - most probably gobbled up by my spam filters - could you send again to my profile address.

Uploaded all the pics again via your interface (fingers crossed:)

Noticed that the US Lee Med tank is mistakenly classed as a British tank

I've sent you a mail.

Looks like some more script error hunting tonight smile.gif

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pheasant Plucker:

I haven't thought of that scenario.

Maybe if we moved the rating script to the comment form, so that the only way to rate the units would be if a comment was written the same time?

What do you think about that idea?

Well isn't that the ultimate fighting machine still in the twentyfirst century :D </font>

Moving the ratings script to the comment form would be an excellent idea IMHO. It would keep the star ratings to sensible levels. It would also provide more relevant information to a units CMAK performance if people explained why they were so good/bad. Plus it would also encourage people to add comments rather than just clicking on stars.

Another example I see is that at the moment Elefants are getting 5 stars, and they are totally inappropriate for most CMAK battles, but sure they are quite cool.

Just my 2c smile.gif

Well it's moved smile.gif

Now after you have finished writing the comment, the rating process shows up.

Lets try this out for awhile, and if no one raises the voice it's permanent ;)

Cheers folke, and the voting seems to be going my way as well smile.gif .

Can I ask another question. I would like to upload some Brit CMAK images to the database for the units. How do I do this? I notice Wicky has already started, but I think I have taken my extra stupid pills today and I can't see how it's done, or indeed if you really need it.

Cheers folke, and the voting seems to be going my way as well smile.gif .

Can I ask another question. I would like to upload some Brit CMAK images to the database for the units. How do I do this? I notice Wicky has already started, but I think I have taken my extra stupid pills today and I can't see how it's done, or indeed if you really need it.

The upload script is sorta messed up for the moment, and I'm working on to get it fixed.

So if you want you can mail me the images and I will upload the manually.

But by the end of the working week I think that the script are up and working ;)

When everyting do what I think it should, there is an upload link right over the comment link on every unit page.

There it will be possible to upload the images, and they will be resized to the right size.