The Archer Tank Destroyer, why wont it destroy tanks?

Panzer76

Ok, played a TCP game today, had 3 Archers lined up on a hill waiting for the gerries.

And sure enough, one PzIV popped up and started shooting, all 3 Archers targeted him and a duel ensued, range approx 1.2 km, good range for the german but with 3 vs 1 in odds I was pretty confident in victory.

What I didnt count on was that some of my Archers started running away?! The PzIV (it was also IDed as such) was a Reg and my 3 Archers was Regs.

1 died pretty fast, one tried to run away and one stod fast trading shots. End of story, 2 KOed Archers, 1 ran away after reciving a penetration.

So, why on earth does a Archer (unhurt) run away when it targets a Tank which it has excellent odds of destroying it. I mean, I could have understtod it if the axis tank had excellent and mine had Low or something like that, but the 17 punder would have sliced through that baby.

So, instead of concentrated fire from 3 TDs, it just fizzled away almost making it 1 vs 1 engagements 3 times in a row.

Whats the logic behind a TD running away from it's prey? Huh?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This remnds me of that old (and greatly chewed-on) bone of contention over retreating IS-2s in CMBB. I've found that pretty much any vehicle will retreat when faced with a gun that can hole it. The thin-skinned vehicles seem more likely to retreat than others for this reason. An Archer's only got 20mm upper hull armor, less than half the armor of a Staghound turret front.

I did actually notice this in a battle myself, (one in particular) I had at least a dozen smallish early war tanks targetting a couple of PZIV's. My tanks were definitely capable of ruining Fritz's day in force - but all of them decided to reverse out of harms way. Within a few turns four of my fellas were burning and the rest were equally useless deciding not to venture out into the firing line no matter what I asked them to do. I didn't honestly notice this in CMBB to the same degree. Its a tricky one, because you would of thought that 12 against 2 is good odds, and even if you were to get a few ricochets it *might* be enough for gun damage or crew disablement.

In this case, each individual archer reacts with it's timid little archer tac-AI, unaware that together with its archer friends it gets 3-1 odds and its surivivability is much higher than if it were alone.

That's why CM needs an "!" with which you can tag orders. This would increase the chance of the unit doing like you tell it to. It amounts to the commander shouting at the archer crews 'you will stand your ground and fight' or somesuch.

The armor of the shooter doesn't matter, otherwise all thin TDs would be useless in CM.

In the CMBB flamefest the excuse was that the ISU-122 has too slow rate of fire and is hence retreating from the faster shooter (the bug being that it retreats before the first shot).

So what is the excuse this time for the Archer that doesn't apply to Nashorn or Marder?

Originally posted by redwolf:

In the CMBB flamefest the excuse was that the ISU-122 has too slow rate of fire and is hence retreating from the faster shooter (the bug being that it retreats before the first shot).

Ah yes, I have seen many a time the Hetzer (with his slow ROF) backing off from a firefight with allied armour. Oh wait, no I havent, not once.. hmm...

What's being simulated, wether by design or error is that if you and two other Archer friends face a PzIV, you'd always think the PzIV was there to kill YOU. That's human nature for you. No weighing up the odds, only:'Oh, ****, oh ****, that tanks going to kill me!' You'd never stop to think that it might nail the other guy instead.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Maybe the best way to use units like the Archer is to do a little shoot & scoot. Maybe they'll stick around long enough to get off a round if they know they already have orders to retreat. :D

Has anybody actually tried this?

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Gordon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Maybe the best way to use units like the Archer is to do a little shoot & scoot. Maybe they'll stick around long enough to get off a round if they know they already have orders to retreat. :D

Has anybody actually tried this?

Michael </font>

Originally posted by MikeyD:

"That's why CM needs an "!" with which you can tag orders. "

That's an interesting suggestion! Sort of a "You ordered me to do this so you suffer the consequences" command. Maybe losses suffered while under "!" commands would be twice as costly point-wise? :D

Or morale penalties for other friendly unit in range would be applied - to simulate the troops not liking what they are seeing...

Originally posted by Gordon:

Seek hull down, shoot and scoot, etc., will all result in your Archers moving to the designated point normally, and they're dead meat. You can only use them from an established ambush position and hope that they kill their target before they get cold feet (tracks?).

BFC didn't think of that and allow for shoot n scoot etc to be executed in reverse? (at least for archers) Jeez what a clunky piece of code. It would have been better to leave the archer out altogether.

[ December 19, 2003, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

"That's why CM needs an "!" with which you can tag orders. "

That's an interesting suggestion! Sort of a "You ordered me to do this so you suffer the consequences" command. Maybe losses suffered while under "!" commands would be twice as costly point-wise? :D

Or morale penalties for other friendly unit in range would be applied - to simulate the troops not liking what they are seeing... </font>