The Archer Tank Destroyer, why wont it destroy tanks?

Panzer76

Originally posted by Sirocco:

Along with borg spotting, this is one of the two issues I'm expecting to be resolved in the next engine.

You're asking for a miracle. Basically, each unit would have to have an own internal 'map' of its surroundings, and make threat evaluations. This is how simulations are really done by consultancy firms, but to expect BFC to do it is a pipe dream. Unless they bring in outside help.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by CMplayer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sirocco:

Along with borg spotting, this is one of the two issues I'm expecting to be resolved in the next engine.

You're asking for a miracle. Basically, each unit would have to have an own internal 'map' of its surroundings, and make threat evaluations. This is how simulations are really done by consultancy firms, but to expect BFC to do it is a pipe dream. Unless they bring in outside help. </font>

...borg spotting will be dealt with...

You sound more positive than BFC has in its public pronouncements on the subject. So far, all I've seen them say is that they will try to deal with borg spotting. I am confident that it will improve, but it is possible that some lingering problems will persist. It isn't a simple issue to address or it would never have arisen in the first place.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

...borg spotting will be dealt with...

You sound more positive than BFC has in its public pronouncements on the subject. So far, all I've seen them say is that they will try to deal with borg spotting. I am confident that it will improve, but it is possible that some lingering problems will persist. It isn't a simple issue to address or it would never have arisen in the first place.

Michael </font>

No, it wouldn't require that, borg spotting will be dealt with, there's no question about that, and situational awareness and threat assessment can be viewed as part of that coding process.

Mind expanding on that a bit? Just exactly how do you see that working? Plz submit flowchart monday morning, 8:00 AM.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

No, it wouldn't require that, borg spotting will be dealt with, there's no question about that, and situational awareness and threat assessment can be viewed as part of that coding process.

Mind expanding on that a bit? Just exactly how do you see that working? Plz submit flowchart monday morning, 8:00 AM. </font>

how bout this idea for borg spotting. let's say every unit has a default covered arc, which would be invisible as long as the player doesn't actually set an arc. every so many seconds the arc would switch to a different angle, etc. that way the tank would only engage targets inside it's current arc, and would not automatically begin shooting at a newly discovered target until the arc moved on to that target's position. i know it's not perfect, but might require much less coding than true spotting would. naturally if a player set an arc, that would take priority over the invisible one. of course, how big the arc is and how long it stays in on position before changing angle would be left up to the designers. they might also take unit movement into account, ie moving units would have a narrower arc than stationary ones, which means it would take more time for a moving unit to pick up new targets. also, unit experience could be affected.

sorry guys, it's late. i'm too tired to think, too keyed up to sleep. you get crazy ideas at times like these...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

Mind expanding on that a bit? Just exactly how do you see that working? Plz submit flowchart monday morning, 8:00 AM. </font>

The only thing Steve said they would do is remove the automatic transportation of spotting events from one unit to another (which it seems is partly done in CMAK via a delay to reporting who is shooting on what, BTW).

I don't remember an BFC person ever saying they do something which is proof to the player using area fire or magically more towards a unit identified elsewhere.