Grog and the Car Designer - A Parable

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Just as a fry cook probably knows how to cook a Hell of a burger and fries, but if put in charge of the restaurant would run it into the ground in a week...

Steve

Speaking of which... well, you know my question now...

Charl

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

Co-creator & Sponsor of the following CM tournaments:

</font>

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Now, as to giving Yeknod a Gold Star -- can we pin it on his chest (using a very sharp needle with a very hot point, of course)?

Sod off!! It's my Gold Star and you're not having it. Gimme two and I'll feel like I'm in a well known franchised fast food burger outlet but I dare not mention its OhMcDonaldsHadaFarm-eeeeiiii-eeeeiiii-eeiiiiiii-oh name. And I already have sharp things in me nipples and the twinges I get from 'em are very exhilerating, thank you.

... ooh, look at the lustre, see how it shines and sparkles with the sun glinting off me Gold Star! Sort of like... well, like a Sheriff?!

Wow! Im just astounded! Anyone who knows me know that in the past Ive been critical to more than a few issues with BFC and their games, but people, you'r WAAAAAAAY off base!

Seldom have I seen such a ignorant (in terms of game design), ungrateful and almost obnoxious group of forum goers.

Get your head out of your ass, Steve will ask you for advice when he wants to know the velocity of a M16 bullet, but THANK GOD, he won't listen to you guys for a minute when it comes to game design! Praise the Lord! And why should he? Most of the forum goers (Grogs) game experience is limited to 2D hexes on a monitor or a cardboard. Do you REALLY think he listens to such a intravert group's suggestions about game design. Hell, if he did we would never have CM in the first place.

There are a lot of people here that doesn't get the BIG PICTURE. Please, stop your bitching and moaning, at least until you try the demo!

As a ex. programmer and customer service representative, kudos to you Steve for keeping your head relativeliy cool. Please ignore the idjits and gimme me more info! :D

Hmmmm.... I thought that when someone writes something in a public forum there is an implied sacrifice of copyrights, unless specifically precluded (eg. a sig that says "you can't use my stuff without permission"). In any case, I give MrSpkr permission to use that line for his sig. There, now everybody should be happy and we can duck yet another distraction :D

Steve

No, because a Patent is by definition something with inherent legal protections. Come to think of it, since this is not really a public forum (i.e. it is owned by us, and therefore is actually private) I think all the text put up by you guys is our property unless otherwise stated at the time of posting. Not entirely sure about that, but I am even less sure why we are discussing this in the first place :D

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Hmmmm.... I thought that when someone writes something in a public forum there is an implied sacrifice of copyrights, unless specifically precluded

Ok, that's cool - but to clear; does this specifically mean that this rule, previously enacted by one of your moderators, is now revoked?

Ok, that's cool - but to clear; does this specifically mean that this rule, previously enacted by one of your moderators, is now revoked?
I think I know what you are talking about here. With sig lines we, the Forum Moderators, don't think someone's words should be stuck into another person's sig line over their objections. Usually such quotes are taken out of context and are designed to cause some sort of harm to the original author. So, if the original author objects to the use, then it should be removed. But by default, it is OK to use someone else's text in the sig line without permission.

This is what is called reverse permission. For example, around where I live the default behavior is that anybody can walk onto your land, for any reason including hunting, unless you have specifically made it known (through posters) that this behavior is not allowed. In almost every other place where people live it works the other way around, where the default is to NOT go onto someone else's property unless specifically granted permission. Both systems are fine because the control still remains with the property owner.

Is that what you were talking about?

Steve

The vast majority of material quoted in a sig line is fine with the author. If the author doesn't want his stuff in someone else's sig line, and they other person doesn't respect that, we'll enforce it. The important thing is that the author can control use in another person's sig line, not how that is acheived. No open slather, as you put it.

Steve

Originally posted by British Tommy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by British Tommy:

Here's something small which I would like to see in the next game.

Briefings: ... The ability to use German or Russian words in the text would be great.

:confused: You can't do that now? </font>

Well as Russian uses a different language and as dependable as is it Arial? is i don't think it does Cyrillicthen he probably is talking about fonts.

Steve, I understand the parable. However it may be that people are worried that with the load of things going on you may have forgotten somthing. If you haven't that's fine but they feel better putting in the forum and hoping that you will read it and go, sh%T forgot that one, write it on a yellow sticky and keep it next to your heart so that it is included. Like say full replay's of battles. I know it has come up a thousand times before but what if you have forgotten it.... :D

This has probably already been mentioned, so I'll throw in another vote for it.

An expanded briefing where you can put in images and maps, make the whole briefing experience richer and more creative. After all, if it CM was just about the technical aspects of battle tactics they wouldn't worry about the cool graphics. But those details do matter, and I think a richer briefing would add to the CM experience.